Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda CRV Driving Impression & Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 08:51 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it amusing that he found fault with the quality of a honda, yet he drives a ford. Just saying...
Old 09-16-12, 02:24 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

IMHO, There is so much wrong with the OP's review of the 2012 CRV, especially the formatting (makes it a ***** to read). LOL
Old 09-17-12, 09:33 AM
Beechkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Wow, tough customer. New CRV seems to be getting good reviews so far.
It appears (IMHO) that dependent on the brand, the automotive based media almost has the articles pre-written......Honda isn't the only one. BMW for example, while there are many aspects of the cars that are excellent, parts availability, is tough and even the last survey (published last month) for down time shows BMW has the highest of all vehicles in north america. Somehow the media kinda turns a blind eye to these type of items when the potential customer really needs to be aware of this info.

Last edited by Beechkid; 09-17-12 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-17-12, 09:35 AM
Beechkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My wife's '11's fit and finish in great in and out.The handling is very good for what it is.It's peppy around town and sluggish when accelerating on to a highway and passing ability is awful.MPG's are so-so.15K miles and it's solid as a rock.The wife absolutely loves her CR-V.
I've never read a negative review like that on a '12.I haven't looked at a '12 closely.
First year design problems?
If I would have had time, I would have liked to swap out the tires....they may have very well been the problem with tracking on the freeway.....I know the alignment was checked two weeks prior & ok, but with the limited camber settings and the rear suspension type, this could also be the issue (it is known for causing this as well).
Old 09-17-12, 09:46 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

not a big fan of the latest Honda developments, but i will buy a new CRV if i'm in the market without any hesitation. people buying these usually keep them around for a long time, and CRVs have the highest resale values by far among the other CUVs in the same price range.
Old 09-17-12, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

C&D did a comparo of CUV's and in their tests the order of finish was:

Mazda CX5, CRV, Escape, RAV4, Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson.
Old 09-17-12, 10:12 AM
Beechkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
IMHO, There is so much wrong with the OP's review of the 2012 CRV, especially the formatting (makes it a ***** to read). LOL
I guess you're not use to reading an honest opinion with stated experience for the driving opinion.

Our family has been involved (deeply) in the automotive field for 50+ years.....my father a salt flats racer & engine/chassis builder (one engine was featured in Hot Rod magazine in 1955 after turning 211 mph at El Mirage) , then in the late 50's work the the Barris brothers performing body mods (hood louvers, frenched headlights, etc), then pursued aeronautical engineering and was one of the core engineers for our space programs up to and including the 70's.

I have personally been involved in building & designing fully custom builds, having one vehicle featured in a peterson publication. My list of personanally ownd vehicles includes, datsuns, toyotas, honda, fords, lincolns, mercury of which the mods to these vehicles range from subtile to extensive including complete fabrication of rear suspension assemblies (for my current 2006 Lincoln Mark LT).

This particular vehicle has numerous modifications including the bed cover, constructed from 100% aircraft grade aluminum & stainless hardware the 2-piece unit includes hidden hinges & latches...all fabricated by myself (except the upholstry- padded top)

This partular vehicle is a 1965 Mustang, ordered new for my mom. I purchased the car from my parents in 1986 and completed a 1 year ground up restoration/rebuild.....adding air conditioning which the system although OEM required modifcations by myself to hide the system so I would not have to cut the original console.....this including fabrication of the AC vents- hand machined from aluminum.....sorry, no lathes or milling equipment available on this one. 100% of all bodywork was performed by myself & father, my uncle a prof painter shot the color (a total of 2 gallons of urethane, wetsanded & polished by myself- there is no clear utilized in this paint either).

There are numerous japanese vehicles which I have built as well.......

Although not visable from the pics the console & dash were constructed out ouf polished aluminum, the seats & door panels although done by an upholsterer, the square buttons (not available at the time- 1979) were made by myself, utilizing wooded door **** for cabinets, modified with upholstry pins for installation- and yes the door pulls are from a 1970's cadillac which I re-structured the dorrs to accept....yes, the interior is duplicated from a Caddy of that year.
and of course our little honda....

this 1978 Honda CVCC was originally silver with whitewall tires & round headlights. Yes, I built the headlights, did all of the bodywork and painted it mercedes black.

To imply somehow that i am unaware of how body panels should fit, assembly requirements ensuring/limiting visual distortion over time, well, is untrue, nor that I have somewhat been unable to communicate thoughts and opinions in a manner which most people could at least understand from my perspective, well.......I think you should have a chat with both your high school & colleges that you attended....you deserve a refund, you got ripped off (grin)

Last edited by Beechkid; 09-17-12 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-17-12, 10:27 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Beechkid
I guess you're not use to reading an honest opinion with stated experience for the driving opinion.

Our family has been involved (deeply) in the automotive field for 50+ years.....my father a salt flats racer & engine/chassis builder (one engine was featured in Hot Rod magazine in 1955 after turning 211 mph at El Mirage) , then in the late 50's work the the Barris brothers performing body mods (hood louvers, frenched headlights, etc), then pursued aeronautical engineering and was one of the core engineers for our space programs up to and including the 70's.

I have personally been involved in building & designing fully custom builds, having one vehicle featured in a peterson publication. My list of personanally ownd vehicles includes, datsuns, toyotas, honda, fords, lincolns, mercury of which the mods to these vehicles range from subtile to extensive including complete fabrication of rear suspension assemblies (for my current 2006 Lincoln Mark LT).

This particular vehicle has numerous modifications including the bed cover, constructed from 100% aircraft grade aluminum & stainless hardware the 2-piece unit includes hidden hinges & latches...all fabricated by myself (except the upholstry- padded top)

This partular vehicle is a 1965 Mustang, ordered new for my mom. I purchased the car from my parents in 1986 and completed a 1 year ground up restoration/rebuild.....adding air conditioning which the system although OEM required modifcations by myself to hide the system so I would not have to cut the original console.....this including fabrication of the AC vents- hand machined from aluminum.....sorry, no lathes or milling equipment available on this one. 100% of all bodywork was performed by myself & father, my uncle a prof painter shot the color (a total of 2 gallons of urethane, wetsanded & polished by myself- there is no clear utilized in this paint either).

There are numerous japanese vehicles which I have built as well.......

Although not visable from the pics the console & dash were constructed out ouf polished aluminum, the seats & door panels although done by an upholsterer, the square buttons (not available at the time- 1979) were made by myself, utilizing wooded door **** for cabinets, modified with upholstry pins for installation- and yes the door pulls are from a 1970's cadillac which I re-structured the dorrs to accept....yes, the interior is duplicated from a Caddy of that year.
and of course our little honda....

this 1978 Honda CVCC was originally silver with whitewall tires & round headlights. Yes, I built the headlights, did all of the bodywork and painted it mercedes black.

To imply somehow that i am unaware of how body panels should fit, assembly requirements ensuring/limiting visual distortion over time, well, is untrue, nor that I have somewhat been unable to communicate thoughts and opinions in a manner which most people could at least understand from my perspective, well.......I think you should have a chat with both your high school & colleges that you attended....you deserve a refund, you got ripped off (grin)
It's great seeing you get all worked up about this. Stuff like this makes my day! Thanks for the laugh!
Old 09-17-12, 10:35 AM
Beechkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVRX
I find it amusing that he found fault with the quality of a honda, yet he drives a ford. Just saying...
All mfgs have their good ones & bad ones.....our list of family vehciles include....

1932 Ford 3 window coupe, 1948 mercury flathead V8*
1979 Honda CVCC
1986 Toyota Celica GT (this one was sold in 1997 for $500 above high KBB & I built my own reinforcing plates for both the front & rear suspension to allow camber adjustment and also no longer having to have an alignment done everytime my wife hit a chuck hole in the road)
1974 Datsun 620 series pickup
1965 Mustang*
1969 Ford Ranchero GT
1990 Ford f150, 300 cid six, XLT/Lariet, short bed, short wheel base, handling package & 5 speed (this particular one we sold in 2006 for $800 above high KBB)
1997 Cougar Sport (V8) (4 wheel fully independent suspension)*
2006 lincoln Mark LT*

We typically keep our vehicles for 10-15 years prior to selling........I tend to not follow PR materials but research, look & inspect the vehicles myself prior to purchasing. The * indicates the vehicles are still currently owned. Unless it is a warranty/recall issue, I perform 99% of all maintenance myself- I personally know these vehicles inside & out. as a result, my maintenance/down time costs are 80% less than my neighbors BMW, my other neighbors Mercedes & the only and of course most expensive part replacement I have ever had was for my wifes 1997 cougar, daily driver, the cats I had to replace last year (one actually failed but I went ahead & replaced all of them)- but after 17 years as a daily driver in very heavy LA traffic....it was to be expected.

My typical annual maintenance cost is around $100 per year (including oil changes) for each of my vehicles. Its really knowing (IMHO) what you are buying...as an example my 1990 F150.....the transmission was built by Mazda, the fuel injection was 100% bosch, all engine management controls were japanese......really the best of the best for 1990.
Old 09-17-13, 07:42 PM
Beechkid
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Update.....September 17, 2013

Yesterday my relative was involved in an accident with this vehicle. In summary, she traveling and de-accelerating from 30 mph, approaching a stop sign. Prior to the main intersection, a driver purposefully pulled out from a side street, my relative struck the rear quarter panel of the vehicle. Here is important information, while crumple zones (crash absorbent) are designed into every vehicle to reduce impact unto the occupants, this vehicle was totaled.....the engine/transaxle mounts broke (as designed) but physically breached (the entire drive-train) into the front occupant compartment....law enforcement investigators have confirmed the speed of my relatives vehicle was 30 mph and slowing when the collision occurred. The structural failure (my opinion) combined with the air-bag system activation induced both visual & physical trauma to the driver (my relative) to the extend they vomited & then lost consciousness, requiring transport to a Trauma I center. IMHO, an increase of speed by 5 mph or more, or a more direct hit would have resulted in occupant entrapment requiring forcible entry tools to gain access and remove the occupants.
Regardless of what safety rating these or any vehicle receives, it is important to have someone who understands basic vehicle structures/mechanics look at a vehicle before purchase. If this would have occurred, I personally would have never let this sale go proceed.....and mind you, this level of damage occurred at 30 mph, slowing and a glancing blow.....
Prior to anyone purchasing this as a "family" vehicle after reading this, should strongly re-consider as you family's well being is surely "At Risk" IMHO.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-18-13 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-18-13, 08:44 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mods, not sure how this is viewed, but this "review" has been posted copy/pasted all over the internet since at least March of last year. Cars.com, Edmunds.com, Truthaboutcars.com, etc. Simple google search of the first few sentences will show you that. Seems odd.
Old 09-18-13, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Many would agree with one of his points that people buy them even though the competition is obviously superior. More power to them.
"Superior" of course, can cover a number of different things. The CR-V has always had superb build-quality, though the latest-generation interior uses slightly cheaper materials; not as bad as the 2012 Civic. And, according to Consumer Reports, its ride comfort is better than its latest rivals....CR is recommending it for buyers who have comfort as a priority.
Old 09-18-13, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Beechkid
All mfgs have their good ones & bad ones.....our list of family vehciles include....

1932 Ford 3 window coupe, 1948 mercury flathead V8*
1979 Honda CVCC
1986 Toyota Celica GT (this one was sold in 1997 for $500 above high KBB & I built my own reinforcing plates for both the front & rear suspension to allow camber adjustment and also no longer having to have an alignment done everytime my wife hit a chuck hole in the road)
1974 Datsun 620 series pickup
1965 Mustang*
1969 Ford Ranchero GT
1990 Ford f150, 300 cid six, XLT/Lariet, short bed, short wheel base, handling package & 5 speed (this particular one we sold in 2006 for $800 above high KBB)
1997 Cougar Sport (V8) (4 wheel fully independent suspension)*
2006 lincoln Mark LT*
so you only have one car built in the last decade. well, times change, and so do build methods and standards. your 'critique' of this recent cr-v might be more valid if you compare it to something else.