Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota finishes 2nd at the 6hrs of Silverstone WEC

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 11:44 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyota finishes 2nd at the 6hrs of Silverstone WEC

Audi clinched the FIA World Endurance manufacturers' championship with a win in Sunday's Six Hours of Silverstone. But that was only half of the story, as the German manufacturer had to earn its fourth victory of the year, with increased pressure from Toyota.

Andre Lotterer took his No. 1 Audi R18 e-tron quattro across the line 55.675 seconds ahead of Alex Wurz's Toyota TS030 Hybrid, which led for periods of the six-hour contest but lost out in the fuel mileage race.

The gasoline-powered No. 7 Toyota of Wurz and co-drivers Nicolas Lapierre and Kazuki Nakajima made eight pit stops compared to the diesel-hybrid Audi's seven. Coupled with a safety car period with 90 minutes to go, that split Wurz from the two Audis and cost the Austrian roughly 40 seconds, the Japanese manufacturer showed impressive performance all race.

The win for Lotterer and co-drivers Marcel Fassler and Benoit Treluyer propelled the two-time Le Mans champions into the lead of the Drivers' World Championship, 4.5 point ahead of teammates Allan McNish and Tom Kristensen, which came home third.

McNish and Kristensen's No. 2 Audi R18 ultra dropped back in the second hour with an unscheduled stop for a slowly deflating tire.

It wasn't clear sailing for the winning Audi, either, as Treluyer was handed a stop & go penalty for avoidable contact with a GTE-Am Ferrari, also in the second hour.

While the near-flawless run for Toyota no doubt played into their favor, it still marked the team's first-ever podium finish in only its second FIA WEC start.

The No. 13 Rebellion Racing Lola B12/60 Toyota of Andrea Belicchi and Harold Primat was the best of the privateer LMP1s in fourth, with Belicchi edging out the No. 21 Strakka Racing HPD ARX-03a of Danny Watts at by just 0.627 seconds at the line for the position.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...c-silverstone/

Great result after the troubles of Le Mans. Its seems they were faster than Audi, but were unable to match them in Fuel Economy. Toyota should be proud though for such a new program.
Old 08-27-12, 06:05 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just based on ZERO comments here I assume no one has watched the race. Well you loose since the race was easily the BEST ever endurance race in last 10 years including all Le Mans. I urge you to watch it!

If you ask me FIA WEC is the pinnacle of motorsports, that title no longer belongs to F1 and racing fans will agree few years down the line. Technology in LMP1 cars is a lot more relevant to what's coming down the road to consumer than what F1 is proposing.

Only downside not enough races on FIA WEC calendar. They still do it one country one race which is a shame. Anyway don't miss Brazil next month and I can't wait for 2013 when Peugeot returns and hopefully more manufacturers decide to compete in LMP1. Yes Porsche I am looking at you
Old 08-27-12, 10:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

nice feat by Toyota
Old 08-27-12, 11:23 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Just based on ZERO comments here I assume no one has watched the race. Well you loose since the race was easily the BEST ever endurance race in last 10 years including all Le Mans. I urge you to watch it!

If you ask me FIA WEC is the pinnacle of motorsports, that title no longer belongs to F1 and racing fans will agree few years down the line. Technology in LMP1 cars is a lot more relevant to what's coming down the road to consumer than what F1 is proposing.

Only downside not enough races on FIA WEC calendar. They still do it one country one race which is a shame. Anyway don't miss Brazil next month and I can't wait for 2013 when Peugeot returns and hopefully more manufacturers decide to compete in LMP1. Yes Porsche I am looking at you
To me the biggest downside of an endurance race is that the sheer length of the race tests the endurance of the audience too. I can sit through a 2-hour long F1 race but there's no way I can watch a 6-hour race in its entirety. Being relevant to road cars does not have anything to do with what makes a racing series the "pinnacle of motorsports" IMHO; otherwise some very low level series using barely modified road cars to compete would be considered the "pinnacle of motorsports". F1 is objectively considered the "pinnacle of motorsports" because of its high bar of entrance, both technically and financially. Whether the technologies involved are relevant to road cars really has no relevance to what makes a racing series interesting and exciting to watch.

Good job Toyota BTW. Here's to hoping for better luck next time.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-27-12 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 01:46 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched the whole race, and it was a blast to see Toyota, in their 2nd race mind you, FASTER than Audi in their 11th (from 1999 with the R8C) consecutive year running this series or type of series/car. Even in their first race at LeMans, Toyota passed Audi on track. The fuel efficiency issue is basically because they run Petroleum and not Diesel. Even though they run a hybrid, that's basically used to make them faster and provides more boost in speed than boost in effciency IMO. Brazil is next up less than a month away. Will be watching that race live as well on www.fiawec.com