Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

These are the best-selling cars in wealthy zip codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
And then some of the ultra riches doesn't care about cars. One of my client who have couple hundred million in assets, finally purchased a new car, first in ten years, to replace their 00 maxima. And guess what, he bought a E350 base!
Good point. I've mentioned this before, but, in light of your post, I think it bears repeating....Enzo Ferrari himelf, who owner and founder of one of the world's most exotic car-companies, had a Fiat 128 econobox as his daily-driver. Fiat used to play that up in their TV and magazine-ads.

I myself, for instance, though I'm not super-rich, if I wanted one, could afford a LOT more expensive car than I just bought...a Buick Verano. But I thought it was one of the best and nicest cars out there for the money. To me, spending more than 40K on new car is usually not necessary, and, in some cases, may even be a waste of money.
Old 08-10-12, 09:11 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea just because you are rich doesnt mean youll drive an expensive car. Lot of them still see cars as an appliance. Bill Gates drove an LS400 for a long time
LS400 was way before he hit it big, it was when he was working his butt off on building up Microsoft. After he became a billionaire, he spend 10 years time for teams of his lawyers just to change legislation and create new "Show and Display" law to legalized his Porsche 959.

We all know how much good lawyers cost, teams of them for 10 years, that's many millions just to be able to drive a car less then 2500 miles a year

Last edited by BNR34; 08-10-12 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-10-12, 09:21 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

^^^ Errr... NO, Bill Gates was already filthy rich BEFORE Lexus even exist
Old 08-10-12, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TehNgyuen

Bill Gates drove an LS400 for a long time
That doesn't necessarily reflect his income. First, the original LS400 was moderately-priced compared to its German rivals.....35K to start. Second, although the early models had undersized brakes for the car's weight that tended to build up heat and rotor-warp, in general, it was built like a tank. One of my neighbors has an LS400 with 200K miles on it. Not perfect condition by any means, but still running and passing safety and emissions inspections.
Old 08-10-12, 09:36 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Ok, so I looked up Microsoft's history, I think you are right, their IPO was in 1986, so Bill was a billionaire when the LS400 came out in 1989. Still I am sure he was super busy on his business to even think about enjoying cars, so he bought the most reliable car exist to minimized hassles in his crazy schedule.

But then the 959 came out in the late 80s, so his daily was a LS400 and 959 was one of his toy, then he spend millions to legalized his 959.

Just like Mark Zuckerberg, he was seen riding in his GF's Acura TSX before his IPO, I won't be surprise to see him in ultra highend cars in the future.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-10-12 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-10-12, 09:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good point. I've mentioned this before, but, in light of your post, I think it bears repeating....Enzo Ferrari himelf, who owner and founder of one of the world's most exotic car-companies, had a Fiat 128 econobox as his daily-driver. Fiat used to play that up in their TV and magazine-ads.

I myself, for instance, though I'm not super-rich, if I wanted one, could afford a LOT more expensive car than I just bought...a Buick Verano. But I thought it was one of the best and nicest cars out there for the money. To me, spending more than 40K on new car is usually not necessary, and, in some cases, may even be a waste of money.
That ad is awesome!!!

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
yup..and even if he wasn't a billionaire he was clearly a 1%er

Old 08-10-12, 09:52 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't know the facts, but again I think Enzo drove a 128 before he was rich. Enzo was not a rich man, it cost huge money to start a car company and make it successful, most of those folks go broke and hugely in debt, like Delorean. Even glamorous names like Bugatti and Bentley struggled financially
Old 08-10-12, 09:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol agreed...could be an older dealership that just happened to stay in a location that developed real well.
Exactly! All their customers are the middle to lower class folks who buy from the most expensive dealer paying full retail on a brand new car because they don't know what they are doing.

Also they probably are buying Hondas, Jettas and Camry's for their daughters.
The 3-series and C-Class are for the sons and daughters, those are the most popular first car for teenagers in well off neighborhoods.
Old 08-10-12, 10:07 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Right that is pretty common knowledge around here but the article doesn't really prove that. Its simply a data point and the author is trying to leverage it to wealth. What if the home is rented out by non wealthy people? Too many variables.

After my recent trip to LA/Hollywood/Beverly Hills etc I don't recall seeing any Jettas, CRVs, Camrys, Accords. What I saw in spades was Porsche and Panameras and mostly German cars with then the occasional Lexus. These were then surrounded by Ferrari's, Masers, Bentley's etc. The Panamera is very popular in high end areas in Atlanta but in the posh areas of L.A it was like a "Camry". It was utterly astounding to see that many of them. Now I know what I "see" might not reflect the entire area but its easier to believe than this list.

So again maybe they are buying those cheaper cars for business or kids cause I sure as hell didn't see them
Agreed 100% I think what you see on the street is a very accurate way to gauge what the locals drive. At least way more accurate then what those local dealers sold

In my So Cal affluent neighborhood that I live in, Panamera is like a Camry, LS460 is like a Corolla. In the rush hours, all the average commuters are all $50k+, most common are 5-series, E-Class and Cayman/Boxster. I say at least 25% of the commuters are $100k+. About 10% are $200k+.

On the weekend, is exotic car galore. You would get look down on if you are driving a 360 Modena, because it is too old.

I think people think I am the gardener or the maid in my 2005 LS430 UL.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-10-12 at 10:11 AM.