Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia K900 RWD flagship sedan

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 10:46 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Hype and sensationalism over substance, the Hyundai way.
you can't be serious. there is zero hype on hyundai's luxury cars.

are you really threatened by lowly mainstream brands?
Old 11-21-13, 10:49 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

anyway, i think it's ugly as a sin. that's just me. proportion is not bad, but rest sucks. that tiger nose is ugly. side profile is dated. rear is boring. interior is dated. i know it's dated design, but still. who approves this kinda crap. didn't peter schreyer penned this 2-3 years ago? so disappointing.
Old 11-22-13, 05:10 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlee12
you can't be serious. there is zero hype on hyundai's luxury cars.

are you really threatened by lowly mainstream brands?
I'm not even going to bother with a proper response here. Too much evidence out there, way too arguments have occurred on these and other forums on this very topic. Not just "luxury cars", but overall corporate philosophy.
Old 11-22-13, 08:27 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

too much evidence of me being korean? i'm korean and i'm proud of it. I would not drive hyundais (eh, because i would rather drive a bimmer). but i respect and embrace how far they have come. and for me, it's all product vs. product. give me ES over genesis anytime anyday. give me Soul over any 'fun' boxy cars. give me genesis over any acuras. i would rather drive honda civic than elantra. camry or sonata? that's like asking if i want Roseanne or Rosie odonnell. i don't care about brand vs. brand anymore. it's all about product vs. product.

seriously what brands don't use 'hype' and 'sensationalism' to attract buyers? it's all about 'look at me' in today's marketing/advertising scene. and there is no such thing as 'humble' brands. no brands feel sorry for themselves. that's not how it is especially in america.

so what's the corporate philosophy of lexus lately? have you watched any of their new lexus commercials? it's all about hawt chicks, bold colors, young people, party scenes, and dramatic scenes. by your logic, lexus is using the same tactic. they are pushing 'bold'. and i love it. is lexus corporate philosophy 'be bold'? maybe or maybe not.

but come on man. there is no such thing as corporate philosophy. stop romanticizing. bmw is no longer ultimate driving machine IMO. porsche is making suvs. lexus wants to make serious design statement. screw corporate philosophy. it's all about survival of the fittest. if last gen GS sold so well, if lexus wasn't so criticized about vanilla design, then lexus would not have taken such a drastic departure in their design. same applies to hyundai. they got tired of 'vanilla'. so they are trying to make noise with fluidic crap which godforbid doesn't look good on some of their cars. and you have to admit, they are getting better at copying. now they are slowly developing design identity. but they are still far away. cadenza looks crap. this k900 is even crappier. maybe they need to steal few more audi designers.

bottom line, it's all about selling the products and making noise. it's all about blitz, man and no prevent D. that's just how it is in today's automotive branding and most technology driven brands. just look at samsung and their obnoxiousness. they are dominating the scene with their look at me philosophy. most of their lineups fail to live up, yet they still are dominating and turned into Apple's biggest headache.

Last edited by hlee12; 11-22-13 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 08:49 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Hype and sensationalism over substance, the Hyundai way.
I will attempt to keep this post objective rather than subjective and inflammatory since you seem to be intent upon consistently slandering Hyundai/Kia products. I would say that Hyundai is more substance over cost than their competitors. Take a look at the Genesis market segment and see where it score cost to luxury versus those competitors. Although my 2013 Azera wasn't an inspiring drive, I enjoyed it leaps and bounds above the 2013 ES which my girlfriend drives. Let's compare amenities; the Azera with Technology package came STANDARD with heated cooled front seats, 15 speaker audio, panoramic roof, 19's, heated rear seats, etc at a price far below that of an ES. I could go on and on down the product line and the only one which I am skeptic about is the Equus because even for me a $70K Hyundai is a tough pill to swallow. And I am a former Lexus owner as well (disregard the GS in my sig, that was a toy).

Bottom line, I think you berate the company based upon your opinion in fantasy land rather than based upon reality. You cannot beat their content for the value....
Old 11-22-13, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

i don't care about brand vs. brand anymore. it's all about product vs. product.
agreed. lexus makes some awesome vehicles, but for me, not all. lexus elevated the entire vehicle industry imo, but like all complete brands, it's not perfect. it's 'pursuing' perfection

and all other brands have good and bad. most consumers do have a brand affinity (and ones they refuse to look at too), but when it comes to buying, they focus on specific models.
Old 11-22-13, 05:01 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The K900 moniker for some reason brings to mind a Kenworth, not a new Kia luxury car.
Old 11-23-13, 02:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

too much evidence of me being korean? i'm korean and i'm proud of it. I would not drive hyundais (eh, because i would rather drive a bimmer). but i respect and embrace how far they have come. and for me, it's all product vs. product. give me ES over genesis anytime anyday. give me Soul over any 'fun' boxy cars. give me genesis over any acuras. i would rather drive honda civic than elantra. camry or sonata? that's like asking if i want Roseanne or Rosie odonnell. i don't care about brand vs. brand anymore. it's all about product vs. product.

seriously what brands don't use 'hype' and 'sensationalism' to attract buyers? it's all about 'look at me' in today's marketing/advertising scene. and there is no such thing as 'humble' brands. no brands feel sorry for themselves. that's not how it is especially in america.

so what's the corporate philosophy of lexus lately? have you watched any of their new lexus commercials? it's all about hawt chicks, bold colors, young people, party scenes, and dramatic scenes. by your logic, lexus is using the same tactic. they are pushing 'bold'. and i love it. is lexus corporate philosophy 'be bold'? maybe or maybe not.

but come on man. there is no such thing as corporate philosophy. stop romanticizing. bmw is no longer ultimate driving machine IMO. porsche is making suvs. lexus wants to make serious design statement. screw corporate philosophy. it's all about survival of the fittest. if last gen GS sold so well, if lexus wasn't so criticized about vanilla design, then lexus would not have taken such a drastic departure in their design. same applies to hyundai. they got tired of 'vanilla'. so they are trying to make noise with fluidic crap which godforbid doesn't look good on some of their cars. and you have to admit, they are getting better at copying. now they are slowly developing design identity. but they are still far away. cadenza looks crap. this k900 is even crappier. maybe they need to steal few more audi designers.

bottom line, it's all about selling the products and making noise. it's all about blitz, man and no prevent D. that's just how it is in today's automotive branding and most technology driven brands. just look at samsung and their obnoxiousness. they are dominating the scene with their look at me philosophy. most of their lineups fail to live up, yet they still are dominating and turned into Apple's biggest headache.
All I will respectfully say is that you don't truly understand what corporate philosophy is and what that entails, based on your post.

Also, I am not surprised at all that you're fully embracing Hyundai and Samsung's actions in worldwide markets. Hey, I hope Hyundai and Samsung do continue on their crazy obnoxious paths, because it will end in tragedy for them. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Originally Posted by GoFastTSI
I will attempt to keep this post objective rather than subjective and inflammatory since you seem to be intent upon consistently slandering Hyundai/Kia products. I would say that Hyundai is more substance over cost than their competitors. Take a look at the Genesis market segment and see where it score cost to luxury versus those competitors. Although my 2013 Azera wasn't an inspiring drive, I enjoyed it leaps and bounds above the 2013 ES which my girlfriend drives. Let's compare amenities; the Azera with Technology package came STANDARD with heated cooled front seats, 15 speaker audio, panoramic roof, 19's, heated rear seats, etc at a price far below that of an ES. I could go on and on down the product line and the only one which I am skeptic about is the Equus because even for me a $70K Hyundai is a tough pill to swallow. And I am a former Lexus owner as well (disregard the GS in my sig, that was a toy).

Bottom line, I think you berate the company based upon your opinion in fantasy land rather than based upon reality. You cannot beat their content for the value....
You're only looking at things at the surface. I will respectfully disagree and say that was not my point. You mention nothing about more important aspects; mechanical construction, durability, and engineering. Noise, vibration, harshness. Craftsmanship, material quality, fit and finish, and the list goes on.

No, when you look at EVERYTHING, far beyond the superficial aspects you're looking at then Hyundai does not offer any superior value at all.

If you disagree that's fine. You have your opinion and I have mine so let's leave it at that.
Old 11-23-13, 08:41 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

All I will respectfully say is that you don't truly understand what corporate philosophy is and what that entails, based on your post.

Also, I am not surprised at all that you're fully embracing Hyundai and Samsung's actions in worldwide markets. Hey, I hope Hyundai and Samsung do continue on their crazy obnoxious paths, because it will end in tragedy for them. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

and i conclude that you are still living in the lala land.

this is corporate philosophy for hyundai

1. sell cars
2. sell more cars
3. improve brand image
4. make better products

philosophy for lexus

1. beat germans
2. be the best
3. improve brand image
4. sell more cars

i don't believe in all the bull**** brands say about themselves. all i know is all brands want to make more $ and make better products.

i have no idea if samsung will fail or not, but they did quadruple Sony in revenue which I predicted 8 years ago. and they are now taking over Apple little by little - something i've never thought any brands would be able to do. whatever they are doing is working. but i won't be surprised if they go bankrupt 20 years later. there is no such thing as bulletproof brands. anything can happen in today's economy.
Old 11-24-13, 05:02 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

1. sell cars
2. sell more cars
3. improve brand image
4. make better products

philosophy for lexus

1. beat germans
2. be the best
3. improve brand image
4. sell more cars

i don't believe in all the bull**** brands say about themselves. all i know is all brands want to make more $ and make better products.

i have no idea if samsung will fail or not, but they did quadruple Sony in revenue which I predicted 8 years ago. and they are now taking over Apple little by little - something i've never thought any brands would be able to do. whatever they are doing is working. but i won't be surprised if they go bankrupt 20 years later. there is no such thing as bulletproof brands. anything can happen in today's economy.
Why are you comparing Samsung to Sony & Apple. Where the latter two are just consumer electronic companies.

Where as Samsung is a mega national conglomerate..
Old 11-24-13, 07:22 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
Why are you comparing Samsung to Sony & Apple. Where the latter two are just consumer electronic companies.

Where as Samsung is a mega national conglomerate..
Hyundai is the same. Hyundai Motors is just a fraction of Hyundai Heavy Industries.
Old 11-24-13, 11:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

1. sell cars
2. sell more cars
3. improve brand image
4. make better products

philosophy for lexus

1. beat germans
2. be the best
3. improve brand image
4. sell more cars

life is not that simple Hyundai does have different philosophy than Toyota, just like Samsung has different philosophy compared to Apple.

Sony and Toyota situations are vastly different. Toyota is the most profitable car maker in the world. Cars are not commodities like phones these days. And they will never be.

Hyundai is not the biggest threat to Toyota anymore. Won has gone up and their profts are much lower than Toyota's, about half.
Old 11-24-13, 09:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

1. sell cars
2. sell more cars
3. improve brand image
4. make better products

philosophy for lexus

1. beat germans
2. be the best
3. improve brand image
4. sell more cars

No, what you posted is not corporate philosophy, they're examples of corporate goals. I will say no more on this subject.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 11-24-13 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-25-13, 01:10 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Man, you go away for a little while... this place gets gooooood......
Old 11-26-13, 01:23 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I just sat in the K900 at the L.A. auto show. All I can say is some of you forget that Hyundai and Kia were bottom of the barrel cars just a few years ago, not unlike Toyota was before 1990 but without Toyota's reliable reputation. Hyundai and Kia no doubt have put other premium automakers on notice with their new lineup and if you don't believe this then you don't live in the real world. I was a big Honda and Acura fan but they are lost in the luxury sector with Acura. They are bringing back with the new NSX but what the heck is this RLX? This is going to be another flop because they are scared to compete. It's sad Acura is scared to do what the Koreans doing, being bold and playing ball with the big boys.

Quick Reply: Kia K900 RWD flagship sedan