Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All new Camry 3.5 V6 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 12:47 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Default All new Camry 3.5 V6 Test Drive

I test drove the new 3.5L V6 Camry today.
Very surprised!
It has more bottom end punch than the new Lexus 4GS!!
The steering feel, and turn-in is more responsive than any Camry ever.
However the ride is firmer than ever.
Cruising along the highway, there is more noise than ever.
The noise emanating from both the engine and tires.
The Camry has much more noise than the new Lexus 4GS.
I also tested back to back the old Camry V6, and the old Camry was much smoother riding and quieter...
Old 07-09-12, 01:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

XLE or SE?
Old 07-09-12, 03:31 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be getting tricked. The "bottom end punch" could just be overly aggressive throttle mapping in the Toyota vs. the Lexus. That was the case in my 2GR-FE powered RAV4 V6. 10-20% pedal in that car would basically give you FULL throttle. I too thought it was quite responsive and had lots of bottom-end torque on the test drive, but it was just the insane throttle mapping.

I agree with you on much of the rest. My folks have a 2012 XLE 4-cylinder. Ride is definitely firm [XLE], and there is more noise than you'd expect, along with some really funny whirring mechanical noises from the engine bay (poor or minimal NVH suppression). Absolutely can't stand the electric power steering either. When I drove it, it was like it couldn't adjust the steering in fine enough increments to the point that the car was zig-zagging very slightly on the highway and couldn't track exactly how I needed it to to follow the road. Extremely annoying!!!

Last edited by SteVTEC; 07-09-12 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-09-12, 06:12 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Have not driven the new Camry but the previous model, the 3.5 seems like to much engine for the cars lack of suspension and feel.

I have always felt Toyotas cars (Camry & Avalon) come out of the gate feeling solid and good but with some mileage and use they develop this soft floaty feeling that almost gives you a wow factor of what was that, kinda like muscle cars that have too much power but the suspension was not upgraded
Old 07-09-12, 06:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I felt the same way with the new Camry ride and noise vs the last generation.I owned an '11 Camry hybrid that was rear ended..
The new Camry does have better handling.I'd rather have the better ride quality.
Old 07-09-12, 06:59 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Have not driven the new Camry but the previous model, the 3.5 seems like to much engine for the cars lack of suspension and feel.

I have always felt Toyotas cars (Camry & Avalon) come out of the gate feeling solid and good but with some mileage and use they develop this soft floaty feeling that almost gives you a wow factor of what was that, kinda like muscle cars that have too much power but the suspension was not upgraded
That's pretty much how my RAV4 was. That car was obviously NOT designed for the V6. And I hate to use this term, but it really is like they just "slapped" the V6 in it and hoped for the best. A lot of the weird things the car did could easily have been corrected or improved for minimal to no cost, if only they put the slightest bit of engineering effort into it. Little things they could have done that would have made a huge difference that they didn't bother with for who knows what reason? The complete lack of attention to detail on that car totally turned me off to Toyotas.

Anyways I hope the new Camrys turn out to be pretty good. My folks got the 4-cylinder which it was obviously designed for, and as far as I can tell it drives 'ok' but not great. Not being able to get it to track the way I wanted with the EPS and having to zig-zag down the highway a bit doesn't give me much confidence though.
Old 07-09-12, 10:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I test drove the new 3.5L V6 Camry today.
Very surprised!
It has more bottom end punch than the new Lexus 4GS!!
The steering feel, and turn-in is more responsive than any Camry ever.
However the ride is firmer than ever.
Cruising along the highway, there is more noise than ever.
The noise emanating from both the engine and tires.
The Camry has much more noise than the new Lexus 4GS.
I also tested back to back the old Camry V6, and the old Camry was much smoother riding and quieter...

10 Char
Old 07-09-12, 10:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I too thought it was quite responsive and had lots of bottom-end torque on the test drive, but it was just the insane throttle mapping.
yeah

Old 07-09-12, 11:07 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

My ownership for 5 years of a Toyota 2GR-FE powered car >> than your paper spec sheets, sorry.
Old 07-09-12, 11:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by <VENOM>

Camry, Accord, Altima, Fusion, Malibu Sonata, etc etc all mostly drive like that unless the only cars one drives or has driven is those types of cars. Rare exceptions are cars like the AWD Mazdaspeed 6.

Old 07-10-12, 12:28 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
XLE or SE?
I think it was LE, but it seems like they have deliberately firmed it up, and deliberately increased the cruising noise levels.

The new steering has more feel than ever before, and much quicker changes in direction...