Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Generation IS F with 450+ HP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 06:20 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is NO way the new IS will look like that!!!!

That looks wayyy to much like the 2IS.

If it's one thing we have all learned about Lexus in the past 10years, is that the newer versions of any given model only have slight similarities/hints of the one it supersedes.

For example, the GS for the longest was distinguished by it's quad headlights, so a newer version of that model was 90% different, yet we all knew it was a GS (2013 being the exception).

Lexus is definitely going with the "spindle grill" design whether we all like it or not. Whether or not Lexus will impress the heck out of us loyal fans with the engine, trans, and interior....well, only time will tell.

All I know is, if the the new IS (especially) the IS-F doesn't KILL the new M3 (which I don't see why not as Japanese engineering is far superior than that of Europeans)....then, this will be my last Lexus/Toyota car.....(with the exception of the FJ40 that im restoring this summer ).
Old 04-30-12, 09:45 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007

That looks wayyy to much like the 2IS.

If it's one thing we have all learned about Lexus in the past 10years, is that the newer versions of any given model only have slight similarities/hints of the one it supersedes.

For example, the GS for the longest was distinguished by it's quad headlights, so a newer version of that model was 90% different, yet we all knew it was a GS (2013 being the exception).

Lexus is definitely going with the "spindle grill" design whether we all like it or not. Whether or not Lexus will impress the heck out of us loyal fans with the engine, trans, and interior....well, only time will tell.

All I know is, if the the new IS (especially) the IS-F doesn't KILL the new M3 (which I don't see why not as Japanese engineering is far superior than that of Europeans)....then, this will be my last Lexus/Toyota car.....(with the exception of the FJ40 that im restoring this summer ).
It's Japanese Mag rendering, I bet the actual car looks sleeker and much much more beautiful. The rendering looks like a Frankenstein. I think new model will look similar to the current gen with spindle grill.
I hope Lexus will not just inject the fun into IS-F, but the whole IS line just like BMW do with 3 series. I want 300hp IS-F(IS350 F sport), or I really trade my 2IS for FR-S/BRZ.
Old 05-04-12, 04:36 PM
bagyo
Driver

Crossing my fingers for a proper standard manual transmission as an option for the new ISF and GSF beast. Please Lexus. If you really want to compete with BMW, you have to make it available like they do. Put me on the list for one if you do
Old 05-04-12, 08:27 PM
rocks
Driver

^
Could not have said it better myself....
Old 05-05-12, 07:04 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagyo
Crossing my fingers for a proper standard manual transmission as an option for the new ISF and GSF beast. Please Lexus. If you really want to compete with BMW, you have to make it available like they do. Put me on the list for one if you do
For the GSF? Unlikely. 3GS never came with a stick. 4GS? Same thing. Don't expect a stick shift for the GS.

As for the ISF next-gen? Hmm......we'll see. It depends on the take rate of 2IS.
Old 05-05-12, 10:31 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah manual 4GS will never happen. Because of this I'd rather see a proper DCT in place of the 8-auto for the F version
Old 05-05-12, 08:57 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

For one of the Lexus Advisory board surveys I participated in, the topics included torque vectoring AWD with a DCT.

I am hoping these drive train features debut in the next IS F (including in a convertible version)
Old 05-05-12, 11:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
For one of the Lexus Advisory board surveys I participated in, the topics included torque vectoring AWD with a DCT.

I am hoping these drive train features debut in the next IS F (including in a convertible version)
that's good enough for me.

i wouldn't hold my breath on a manual isf/gsf at all. it would be a tremendous surprise
Old 05-06-12, 12:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

not so sure Toyota will offer dual clutch, they seem to be phasing out their MMTs right now in Europe and replacing them with CVTs with "7 speeds".
Old 05-15-12, 08:16 PM
Koukir32
Driver School Candidate

I can't wait for the next gen IS, just wish they have a more upscale interior design along with the 12inch display like the GS..... better Mark Levinson stereo system...... and sportier VDIM setting as well as better handling capablity's than the European competition.... 450hp would be plenty, with a start/stop function much like the Hybrid's would be a great options for those tree huggers..... perhaps longer wheelbase won't hurt either, cause the current IS series just really short of rear leg and head room.

And most of all please get rid of those LED Daytime running light...... and use real LED lowbeam much like all of the Ultra Premium pkg equipped Hybrid models please. I really dislike those quart ring brand ****...
Old 05-16-12, 09:11 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909

Best Car Magazine reports the next IS F will have a 450+ HP V8 and be available in a sedan, coupe and convertible. Obviously the rendering looks a little awkward but the stats look promising. Fingers are crossed that this will be a true M3 fighter.

2014/2015? Lexus IS F

Overall Length: 4680mm (184.3")
Width: 1820mm (71.7")
Height: 1400mm (55.1")
Engine: V8 DOHC
Displacement: 4968cc
Power: 475ps (469hp) @ 7000rpm
Economy: 10.0km/l (23.5mpg)

More on that GS F to come...

I would eliminate the fog lights like the BMW M series....but truthfully we have to wait and see what Lexus pulls out of its hat.
Old 05-16-12, 11:35 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
I would eliminate the fog lights like the BMW M series....but truthfully we have to wait and see what Lexus pulls out of its hat.
if it's anything like the USDM GS350 F-Sport then it won't have fogs
Old 05-16-12, 12:32 PM
LexFather

Amazing to think it will drive sportier than the GS with more power....I have a feeling they really are going to get this 2nd gen IS F right, especially seeing all the improvements in the first gen.

Old 05-17-12, 11:02 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by LexIS007

All I know is, if the the new IS (especially) the IS-F doesn't KILL the new M3 (which I don't see why not as Japanese engineering is far superior than that of Europeans).
Lol since when? The number of jdm cars that have performance levels high enough to even be taken notice of are countable on one hand...NSx, supra, gt-r and that's pretty much it. If your talking reliability then vw still has a better track record than anyone in the jdm market so...like, wtf you talkin bout?
Old 05-17-12, 11:30 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Personally, I love the way this thing looks. It's a little disproportionately busy which is typical of the japs but it's nice and aggressive and more importantly, it's own thing. It's not Trying to be an m3 or a amg. It says "I'm an Is-f and you wish you looked this good." I seriously hope the 2is doesn't share any significant cues with the f. I hate for someone to ask me if my is-f was a 250 or a 350.

Oh and...OFF WITH THAT STUPID HOOD BULGE!!!

Last edited by Kingdavid; 05-17-12 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Next Generation IS F with 450+ HP?