Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Hyundai Accent Hatch, Good Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nitsua
Thanks for all the input so far! We actually had a really bad experience at the Hyundai dealership. The sales guy told us that we couldn't test drive the hatch because its a brand new car and the dealership didn't want to put mileage on them. I was like ok........ we ended up test driving the sedan. We then sat down to chat about numbers and he basically told me there is no negotiation unless we were committed on buying (Hyundai Policy) which I thought was kinda BS on his part and on top of that their msrp was almost 1.5k more then listed.
Try another Hyundai dealership. There's no legitimate reason why you should not be allowed to test-drive an Accent hatch, as long as it is reasonable and doesn't load it up with too many miles.

The rep is indeed giving you B.S. about negotiation. If they want to sell you the car, they will give you a price. See if there are any local Hyundai dealers in your area with a no-negotiable, Internet price (which usually incluses a fair discount). We have some Hyundai shops like here in the D.C. area that do buisness that way, and I have helped a number of friends/co-workers through those deals if they wanted a new Hyundai.

Talked to a family friend who owns a shop and he said try to stay away from Hyundai as they are notorious for reliability and customer service.
Hyundai/Kia products are actually well-built today....in some ways, IMO, as good or better than their Japanese competitiors. That's why they can offer those long warranties and not lose money.
Old 04-16-12, 02:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input so far! We actually had a really bad experience at the Hyundai dealership. The sales guy told us that we couldn't test drive the hatch because its a brand new car and the dealership didn't want to put mileage on them. I was like ok........ we ended up test driving the sedan. We then sat down to chat about numbers and he basically told me there is no negotiation unless we were committed on buying (Hyundai Policy) which I thought was kinda BS on his part and on top of that their msrp was almost 1.5k more then listed.

Talked to a family friend who owns a shop and he said try to stay away from Hyundai as they are notorious for reliability and customer service.
Well, don't let a bad dealer take the Accent off the table as a choice. Check out the next closest Hyundai dealer if you guys are still interested.

The Accent and it's couson, the Rio, have consistently ranked at the top of recent sub-compact comparison tests. Either one would be a great choice. I'd actually go with the better looking, sportier Rio. Go check it out.

If you want guaranteed, long term reliability, the Yaris and Fit are your cars. The Yaris has been a bit criticized though for its overall performance in tests. The Fit is the oldest model in the class, but still a good performer and has the most space.

The Fiesta is a looker and good driver, but a bit cramped inside. It's long term reliability is unproven.

The Sonic is a very good offering, but has the lowest MPG rating, and is also unproven for reliability.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
How about the Mini Cooper? VW Beetle?

They're a bit more premium, but has a lot more charm.
Too expensive when comparing to the standard sub-compact class. They cost as much as the base model Camry/Accord mid-size class.
Old 04-16-12, 03:40 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Well, don't let a bad dealer take the Accent off the table as a choice. Check out the next closest Hyundai dealer if you guys are still interested.
Agreed. Some dealers don't want your business but the car is worth making a visit to another dealer for.

Well we just went through this same list (minus the Yaris) as we were determining whether we should plow more $$ into our old car for the daughters to drive or get a lower cost small car. My sorted list.

1. Accent - Best interior styling and feel(obviously subjective), great gas mileage, features (bluetooth etc..) and warranty for the price
2. Fiesta - Tight on space and a bit down on features for the price but the best handling of the bunch. No issues with the DCT shifting as others have complained. Lower end warranty.
3. Fit - Nice roomy interior. A bit on the cheapish side. Poor gas mileage for the size. Second most fun to drive.
4. Rio - I know it's close to a clone of the Accent but didn't prefer the ride (harsher) to any of the ones ranked above it here. Styling on the exterior and interior was a bit less pleasant.
5. Versa - These next three are pretty far behind IMO. Very cheap interior (but not as bad as the Sonic) but utilitarian. If you add on some options on a higher end model it's not bad and still reasonably priced. Roomy but not much to write home about wrt ride.
6. Mazda 2 - Given that it's a "platform mate" of the Fiesta almost everything else is sub Fiesta on the 2. Worse gas mileage, poor automatic transmission, poor space and by us a poor dealer to boot.
7. Sonic - IMO a terrible interior that could not be saved by a decent ride. A bit too small in the rear in comparison to the others (though not much worse than Fiesta). Decent power and lack of noise.

IMO the Yaris would have probably ended up mid-pack (above the Versa) had we looked at it.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-12, 04:00 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
5. Versa - These next three are pretty far behind IMO. Very cheap interior (but not as bad as the Sonic) but utilitarian. If you add on some options on a higher end model it's not bad and still reasonably priced. Roomy but not much to write home about wrt ride.

7. Sonic - IMO a terrible interior that could not be saved by a decent ride. A bit too small in the rear in comparison to the others (though not much worse than Fiesta). Decent power and lack of noise.
Sonic, a terrible interior? Are you sure you drove a Sonic? Worse than the Versa? Are you talking about the new Versa sedan which has the worse interior in the whole industry?

The Sonic's interior is best in class along with the Accent. It was just awarded a spot on Ward's Best New Interior List.

Old 04-17-12, 04:37 AM
Sciller
Driver

The new Hyundai line up is defiantly ...IMO....the freshet and most reliable cars for the money...I would defiantly pick up a sonata turbo for a daily or a genesis for fun IF I didn't have all my money flowing into the sc lol
Old 04-17-12, 05:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

This week on TV Motorweek tested about 7 subcompacts. The top 3 in order of finish were: 1. Honda Fit 2. Kia Rio sedan 3. Hyundai Accent hatch.

The Kia and Rio were similar, but I think the testers preferred the styling of the Kia.
Old 04-17-12, 05:48 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Sonic, a terrible interior? Are you sure you drove a Sonic? Worse than the Versa? Are you talking about the new Versa sedan which has the worse interior in the whole industry?

The Sonic's interior is best in class along with the Accent. It was just awarded a spot on Ward's Best New Interior List.
Yep, a Sonic. I heard all the praise and was incredibly unimpressed when I actually sat in the thing. My main issues are the IP gauge cluster looks plain goofy (obviously IMO) and the materials on it are cheap. The center stack has shapes/buttons flaring every which way. IMO terrible. YMMV
Old 04-17-12, 10:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Yep, a Sonic. I heard all the praise and was incredibly unimpressed when I actually sat in the thing. My main issues are the IP gauge cluster looks plain goofy (obviously IMO) and the materials on it are cheap. The center stack has shapes/buttons flaring every which way. IMO terrible. YMMV
Agreed. The Sonic's interior is so bad, it's not even in a class of automobiles. It's one below with motorcycles. Horrible decision on GM's part.
Old 04-17-12, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Agreed. The Sonic's interior is so bad, it's not even in a class of automobiles. It's one below with motorcycles. Horrible decision on GM's part.
Well, I guess each opinion to his or her own, but most reviewers think that the Sonic interior, especially in the upmarket versions, is pretty well-done except for the somewhat quirky motorcycle-style speedo/gauge-pod. I agree.....that's the only thing inside that I would change.

Old 04-17-12, 04:44 PM
nitsua
Driver School Candidate

So the plan now is to head to another dealership over the weekend to try the hatch to really get a feel for the car. Another consideration is the Mazda 3 and Matrix (got a hookup) which means going a bit larger than sub compact and sacrificing fuel efficiency
Old 04-17-12, 05:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

So the plan now is to head to another dealership over the weekend to try the hatch to really get a feel for the car. Another consideration is the Mazda 3 and Matrix (got a hookup) which means going a bit larger than sub compact and sacrificing fuel efficiency
dont buy into 40 MPG claims, CR tested all of them and best way Yaris at 33 MPG, rest of the pack was between 28 MPG (Sonic) and 32 MPG (Fit).
Old 04-17-12, 05:39 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i say go for it. the recent Motortrend ranks the Accent no. 1 in their comparo against the likes of Sonic, Fit, Yaris and Kia Rio.
Old 04-17-12, 06:20 PM
jli
Driver School Candidate

take a look at the Hyundai Veloster too! if your gf is looking for an automatic, the veloster has dual clutch tran
Old 05-11-12, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

i was just in costa rica for 11 days and the rental car was a hyundai accent sedan 'blue' edition (which i think means even smaller engine than u.s., maybe a 1.4?). it was a 5 speed stick too - definitely fun on the really steep hills and twisty roads

so, got to know the car pretty well. it was definitely a base model (no central locking, no cruise, base stereo, etc). it has about 18k mi. on it, of no doubt hard abuse in costa rica's mountainous terrain, passing on 2 lane roads a lot (or you won't get anywhere, lol), and high city traffic.

pros:
comfortable to drive
good stick shift and clutch
quiet and smooth ride
trunk roomy
back seats ok
modern, good looking car inside and out (subjective of course)
suspension seemed basic, but comfortable (don't expect great cornering)
felt and went completely reliably

cons:
front passenger seat seemed lower than driver's with no height adjustment
gutless engine except in narrow torque band (fun on steep hills )
5th gear only good for flat or downhill
ipod connection did not work with ipod nano or new ipad (stereo said reading usb over and over, and never worked)
no matter how many times i tried, and reading the (spanish) manual, i could not set the car's clock. if i got the time set right, it didn't advance time even though the two dots were flashing

overall:
very impressed

as an aside, about every other vehicle in costa rica is a hyundai. they love them, mitsubishi is also big too (esp. with suvs and trucks). toyota and honda pick up the rest. in nicer towns/cities you'll see an occasional audi or bmw. did not see one lexus.