Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 11:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Since Lexus is coming out with a new small SUV (CUV) it is reasonable that Toyota moves the RAV4 downscale. If you want leather or hybrid (or V6?) you move up to Lexus. In addition, as the new CAFE standards approach, there will be more emphasis on small engines. For example, the new Escape has no V6 option. In Europe, Lexus is heading to hybrids only so that leaves room for Toyota diesels.

I think this is a nice move for the RAV4 to keep it competetive in the CUV segment. A Lexus this size then competes with the GLK and Audi Q5. Works for me.
Steve
although, i gotta say this one looks a lot more luxurious than old one :-).
Old 11-26-12, 11:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

looks great!!!!
Old 11-26-12, 11:34 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not impressed inside and out. The rear in particular is horrendous. Let's just hope that the NX looks nothing like it.
Old 11-26-12, 01:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Not impressed inside and out. The rear in particular is horrendous. Let's just hope that the NX looks nothing like it.
probably will look a lot like it....
Old 11-26-12, 01:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks great!!!!
you and me only.. so what do you like?
Old 11-26-12, 01:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
you and me only.. so what do you like?
to me it appears like a more sophisticated and detailed design in and out. the funky dash isn't quite my thing, but it doesn't look 'cheap'. as they say in marketing, there's a difference between inexpensive and cheap.

i think toyota had to do something to make it more competitive against the kia/hyundai cousins of sportage and santa fe and many others.

just seeing ads for the brand new pathfinder too - looks GREAT.

as you might have gathered, i find cuv's/suv's much more interesting than sedans!
Old 11-26-12, 01:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I think the new RAV4 looks good. I always liked the current one and this one should be just as good.
Old 11-26-12, 01:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
to me it appears like a more sophisticated and detailed design in and out. the funky dash isn't quite my thing, but it doesn't look 'cheap'. as they say in marketing, there's a difference between inexpensive and cheap.

i think toyota had to do something to make it more competitive against the kia/hyundai cousins of sportage and santa fe and many others.

just seeing ads for the brand new pathfinder too - looks GREAT.

as you might have gathered, i find cuv's/suv's much more interesting than sedans!
I had two Rav4's 4.3... i still say - best car at price I ever had...

But our Euro versions are usually cool and nicer than US spec... I expect it to be more like Avalon inside than Corolla.
Old 11-26-12, 01:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the new RAV4 looks good. I always liked the current one and this one should be just as good.
Europe is very fickle market - when something new comes out, it sells crazy and then it drops.

Rav4.3 when it came out in Europe - we had 8-10 month waiting lists... we had average of $5k dealer accessories purchased (not forced), we had no discounts given, pure cash cha-ching into our wallets.

And then... WALL. Crazy drop of sales when recession hit in 2009... suddenly nobody was buying it, even with huge discounts.

It is car that made all Euro dealers profitable... and not-profitable after 2009 :-)
Old 11-26-12, 01:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a 2010 Rav4, I see a lot of evolution.

The design is more modern and edgy where it needs to be such as the grill, headlights, taillight, dashboard; the old one has always been boxy and frumpy all around. Boxy and frumpy equals better interior space and functional cargo.

The exterior is subjective. I want to know where the spare tire is, and if the door swings up or out. How heavy is this thing compared to the previous generation? Will it have LED tails? Are fog lights standard? Did the interior cargo space get bigger? Do some models get the third row?

Forget about how "pretty" the Rav4 is (really, are we arguing about the prettiness of a Rav4?!? ). I want to know how functional Toyota designed it.

I can understand the reason to get rid of the V6: it was too much engine for the car. Torque steer was scary. It will do well and sell well if they have a regular I4, the purported turbo I4, a hybrid variant, and the electric variant. Toyota needs a six-speed tranny to keep up with the Joneses.

The Rav4 Sport had great suspension for a tall crossover. It handled confidently. I hope the ride's quality (not firm; just right) carries over across the board. The non-Sport version of the Rav4 is too floaty with massive body roll. The Sport version was good enough for what it is; there's no reason to compare it's handling to a sedan or coupe.

The big issue is material quality. The old Rav4 was very plastic and economic. Hard to the touch. Steering wheel and armrests were textured hard plastic; the Limited version got away with a leather steering wheel. Small things such as the sun visors, grab handles, and even the A-pillar were hard plastic.

At the end of the day, the Rav4 pleases a lot of functional needs, but is hardly desirable. It was the most functional and reliable car that I have ever had. Will I get it again in the future? Perhaps if there is a need; if my life requires me so. Until then, I'll play with other toys.
Old 11-26-12, 02:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I had a 2010 Rav4, I see a lot of evolution.

The design is more modern and edgy where it needs to be such as the grill, headlights, taillight, dashboard; the old one has always been boxy and frumpy all around. Boxy and frumpy equals better interior space and functional cargo.

The exterior is subjective. I want to know where the spare tire is, and if the door swings up or out. How heavy is this thing compared to the previous generation? Will it have LED tails? Are fog lights standard? Did the interior cargo space get bigger? Do some models get the third row?

Forget about how "pretty" the Rav4 is (really, are we arguing about the prettiness of a Rav4?!? ). I want to know how functional Toyota designed it.

I can understand the reason to get rid of the V6: it was too much engine for the car. Torque steer was scary. It will do well and sell well if they have a regular I4, the purported turbo I4, a hybrid variant, and the electric variant. Toyota needs a six-speed tranny to keep up with the Joneses.

The Rav4 Sport had great suspension for a tall crossover. It handled confidently. I hope the ride's quality (not firm; just right) carries over across the board. The non-Sport version of the Rav4 is too floaty with massive body roll. The Sport version was good enough for what it is; there's no reason to compare it's handling to a sedan or coupe.

The big issue is material quality. The old Rav4 was very plastic and economic. Hard to the touch. Steering wheel and armrests were textured hard plastic; the Limited version got away with a leather steering wheel. Small things such as the sun visors, grab handles, and even the A-pillar were hard plastic.

At the end of the day, the Rav4 pleases a lot of functional needs, but is hardly desirable. It was the most functional and reliable car that I have ever had. Will I get it again in the future? Perhaps if there is a need; if my life requires me so. Until then, I'll play with other toys.
in US yes, it Europe, versions with leather were quite luxurious actually... and expensive too. This looks even more luxurious... which doesnt mean that US wont get crappy plastics. For instance, our armrests were very soft, leather was real, grab handles were rubberized inside and felt better than my IS :-).

Interestingly enough most people in Europe got Rav4 because it was cool and desirable car to get. It was a car you aspired to get. People spent a lot of money customizing their Rav4's.

Spare wheel goes under the car most likely.
Old 11-26-12, 03:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Spare wheel goes under the car most likely.
wouldn't be surprised if it's a can of fix-a-flat now. not picking on toyota - the need to lower cost AND weight is brutal.
Old 11-26-12, 03:50 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Shame if they dropped the Sport model. Over here I would say 40% of the Rav4's I see are Sport models, whether 4-cyl or V6. Just on looks what a difference a set of body-colored fender flares and proportionally-big set of 18"s made.

A bit disappointed with the rear design. The spyshots made it look too Sienna-like and the real one didn't change that opinion. I do like the front and interior.
Old 11-26-12, 06:16 PM
modernx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Link

Last edited by modernx; 11-26-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 06:23 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh, the only thing I can say is it looks better than the CRV. That isn't saying much though.

Last edited by venom21; 11-26-12 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show