Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So this MDX commercial comes on during the Lakers game and the person uses a key?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 08:12 PM
LexFather

Red face So this MDX commercial comes on during the Lakers game and the person uses a key?

So I noticed as the person is walking up to the 2012 or so MDX and they have a key in their hand and they show them press the button to open the door. Then the ad tries to sayt "advanced" and technology...yadda yadda

Now this ad has failed immedietly b/c most luxury brands ditched key fobs for keyless entry and people no longer press keys. They simply walk to the car and open the door. It is a feature that is now invaluable to me, I hate using keys to open the door/start cars now. Lexus started using keyless entry back in 2005 with the 2006 GS!

I am shocked they even showed that at the beginning of the ad. Every brand today at last has a remote key fob and its crazy they still don't have keyless entry with push button start something Altimas, Hyundais, etc now have.

Old 02-14-12, 08:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My parents have a 2011 MDX, and it has a "folding" key - it looks like a fob, but in order to start the car, you actually press the button on the fob, and key blade snaps outs, and then you start the car. The first time I drove it, I actually couldn't figure out how to start it, I didn't realize the fob was foldable.

With that being said, it doesn't bother me at all, in fact I kind of prefer conventional keys.
Old 02-14-12, 10:30 PM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So I noticed as the person is walking up to the 2012 or so MDX and they have a key in their hand and they show them press the button to open the door. Then the ad tries to sayt "advanced" and technology...yadda yadda

Now this ad has failed immedietly b/c most luxury brands ditched key fobs for keyless entry and people no longer press keys. They simply walk to the car and open the door. It is a feature that is now invaluable to me, I hate using keys to open the door/start cars now. Lexus started using keyless entry back in 2005 with the 2006 GS!

I am shocked they even showed that at the beginning of the ad. Every brand today at last has a remote key fob and its crazy they still don't have keyless entry with push button start something Altimas, Hyundais, etc now have.
So what? How much do you have to bash Acura on this forum? So they have horrible front ends, so they aren't making the best (IMO) decisions when it comes to the design of their cars but they are still selling cars. We have an '09 MDX and just 2 weeks ago we test drove the RX350 and couldn't believe how much smaller it seemed then our '04 RX330 we owned. Our MDX has to be one of the best car buys we've ever done. We only paid $34,900 out the door for it 3 years ago and we can still get over $30k if we wanted to trade it in. Plus, living in the midwest, this thing is the best handling in the snow then any other SUV we have owned. Rant over.
Old 02-14-12, 10:34 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I do love that all I have to do is act like I'm opening my car door, and it unlocks right in front of me. It is not my being lazy. It is simply consumer-driven technology. No need to fumble for keys or actually look at a fob to see which button to press.
Old 02-14-12, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

haha mike, to be fair now. i am glad lexus didn't advertise anything about the tape deck on 09 gs and finally factory ipod integration in 2010

but i agree using a key now in 2010 that's quite old school. i think even sienna has sensor touch right?
Old 02-14-12, 10:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by roushracin
So what? How much do you have to bash Acura on this forum? So they have horrible front ends, so they aren't making the best (IMO) decisions when it comes to the design of their cars but they are still selling cars. We have an '09 MDX and just 2 weeks ago we test drove the RX350 and couldn't believe how much smaller it seemed then our '04 RX330 we owned. Our MDX has to be one of the best car buys we've ever done. We only paid $34,900 out the door for it 3 years ago and we can still get over $30k if we wanted to trade it in. Plus, living in the midwest, this thing is the best handling in the snow then any other SUV we have owned. Rant over.
Happy for you Bob. I am observing the irony of "Advance' with something they don't offer, keyless remote. I would think they wouldn't have noted it in the ad but they actually showed you go back in time to 1992 to press a button to get inside your Acura. B/C Lexus had push button keys in 1992. Most have moved on to keyless entry.

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I do love that all I have to do is act like I'm opening my car door, and it unlocks right in front of me. It is not my being lazy. It is simply consumer-driven technology. No need to fumble for keys or actually look at a fob to see which button to press.
I thought it was a gimmick too until I used it and now I hate getting in cars without it. Lexus has moved so fast they are eliminating the black rubber button and instead you just touch the handle as its built in. The smart card is awesome too, slides in the wallet.

Originally Posted by rominl
haha mike, to be fair now. i am glad lexus didn't advertise anything about the tape deck on 09 gs and finally factory ipod integration in 2010

but i agree using a key now in 2010 that's quite old school. i think even sienna has sensor touch right?
lol, well the tape deck didn't keep other tech out, it just looks out of place. You still get real technology in the car, not fake advertised technology.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-14-12 at 10:56 PM.

Old 02-14-12, 11:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm about as down on Acura right now as the rest of us, but in fairness, most auto companies have flawed tv commercials. If one wants to look at Lexus, the recent IS commercial with the blue F-sport 350 drifting narrowly between it's parked rivals shows practice skid marks over the same path. Weak.
Or one can look at Ford's annoying "Tyson" commercials where he's getting orgasmic over SYNC while driving around aimlessly even though he drives 500 miles a week and needs a car for good fuel economy. Or the immature fighting and hatred of Infiniti vs. BMW and the throwing of snowballs at each other. The list goes on...
Old 02-14-12, 11:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm about as down on Acura right now as the rest of us, but in fairness, most auto companies have flawed tv commercials. If one wants to look at Lexus, the recent IS commercial with the blue F-sport 350 drifting narrowly between it's parked rivals shows practice skid marks over the same path. Weak.
Or one can look at Ford's annoying "Tyson" commercials where he's getting orgasmic over SYNC while driving around aimlessly even though he drives 500 miles a week and needs a car for good fuel economy. Or the immature fighting and hatred of Infiniti vs. BMW and the throwing of snowballs at each other. The list goes on...
I guess my point is I am SHOCKED that whomever put together and approved this ad thought it was a good idea to show them using a key to get inside. I didn't pay much attention to the rest as I have no interest.

Going to Henry for a sec, imagine Lexus showing a commercial a couple of years ago where someone injects a tape into the deck to play the ML system. Makes no sense.

Or imagine a BMW ad showing an antenna retracting into the trunk when the car is turned off. Talk about retro

Though this is the same company that tries to drift a FWD TSX wagon and says "its a sports car" or some other crap. Its the little things as well as big ones. To me it just shows lack of focus to display something that is a weakness. Everytime I see a Kia/Hyundai ad, they show someone using the push button start.