Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to arrive in Mexico in 2012

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 12:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Lexus to arrive in Mexico in 2012

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/index.ph...id_nota=769064
http://www.motoresx.com/2011/11/ya-e...-a-mexico.html

I don't really know any more than anyone else yet on this subject, but no doubt it peeks my curiosity and I will post updates once I know more. A few years ago just before I left in April 2008, Lexus had announced plans to open 5 dealerships (or agencias / agencies) in Mexico, but with the economic collapse worldwide in 2008, Lexus did the right thing in not opening up shop at that time. Acura, http://www.acura.mx/ has been there since 2004 and has 12 dealerships scattered across the country with 6 models while Infiniti has had models there (some years more, some less) since the 1990s through Nissan dealerships, though last month they came out as a separate entity with its own dealerships (3 in Mexico City metro area, 1 in Guadalajara and 1 in Monterrey) and 5 models, http://www.infiniti.mx

FYI, Toyota opened its doors in early 2002, right about the time I got there.

Noting that both Acura and Infiniti both have dealerships in my old neighborhood of Interlomas in Estado de Mexico, I'd love nothing better to see a dealership there, too.

Do note that vehicles in Mexico are not cheap compared to the U.S. In addition to paying a new car tax, there's also a yearly payment to the government known as a tenencia, which is not cheap. Right now as I understand it they plan to eliminate it in 2012 for certain vehicles, but apparently not those at a luxury level.

http://mx.autocosmos.yahoo.net/autos...ogo/acura.aspx (lists vehicle prices in USD)
http://mx.autocosmos.yahoo.net/autos.../infiniti.aspx (exchange rate is about 14 pesos to 1 USD)
Old 11-24-11, 12:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Cool info. Curious if they'll follow the Hybrid only line-up like Norway or offer a full line-up like its northern neighbor
Old 11-24-11, 02:35 PM
LexFather

Nice, thanks for the background info

Old 11-24-11, 06:39 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet!
Old 11-25-11, 07:00 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news indeed.

Btw, will Mexico be the first market for Lexus in Latin America?
Old 11-25-11, 11:49 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear Lexus is expanding worldwide. Lexus has a long way to go but I know they'll get there...
Old 11-26-11, 08:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Good news indeed.

Btw, will Mexico be the first market for Lexus in Latin America?
I know Lexus has sold vehicles in Brazil (launched 1998) and recently in Chile (2008), but I also remember that in quite a few countries in Central America one could get a Lexus vehicle through their Toyota dealer. There is also a gray market with Lexus vehicles finding their way into many other countries in Latin America and a few of their owners have even popped up on this forum.

In Mexico, there have been some nationalized Lexus vehicles (it's rare, particularly outside the border region), but I have seen them.
Old 11-26-11, 09:29 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone gets a Lexus in Mexico, won't they become like a target for kidnappers?
Old 11-26-11, 09:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JessePS
If someone gets a Lexus in Mexico, won't they become like a target for kidnappers?
It's not really the car, but the person. Most of the kidnappers there want to get someone because they have studied that person and know they have cash and lots of it. It often involves kidnapping family members in order to extort money.

I didn't have really any worry there with mine. It was unique (no parts market for it in case of theft).

I'd probably have been more worried if I drove a luxury vehicle that had Mexican plates and was offered in the Mexican market like an Audi, BMW or Mercedes (those were among the most common luxury vehicles you would see there and Audi had a big-time following compared to what I know in the United States. Anything higher up the ladder and people are going to assume you have protection (and that would also be true on higher end models of the ones I just mentioned), which is a reason that the blindado or armored car industry is so big there. I knew some CEOs would had drivers, bodyguards, and high levels of protection on their vehicles. If you ever go to Mexico City and travel down Avenida Masaryk in Polanco, there are companies devoted to this.

I also should mention that from what I know in my time there and from friends that a car like an Acura or Infiniti doesn't have the same attention that the European luxury car makers have. They kind of are seen as a Super Honda or a Super Infiniti. Plus, so much of the society is driven toward European luxury goods. I would rarely see a Cadillac or a Lincoln on the road.
Old 11-26-11, 05:02 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That's good to hear they are bringing cars to Mexico now.