Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

German crash test is a scary reminder of what happens when cars and trucks collide

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 07:01 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
I hate truckers and truckers, they all drive like maniacs, always above speed limit, and they cause other drivers to speed (nobody wants to be stuck behind a truck, especially in bad weather).

They should limit all trucks to right lane 35mph max, with severe fines.
There have been proposals to restrict the trucks during rush hours in metropolitan areas but are most always defeated.
Old 08-03-11, 11:48 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Before you ban trucks, or slow them to speeds that would REALLY make them a highway hazard, consider this: The home you live in was almost entirely delivered to your lot (in pieces, of course) by a truck. The food on your table, the clothes you are wearing, and the car you are driving, at some point rode on a truck before it reached you.

Now, before you legislate the trucking industry off the road, how do you intend to replace it? Rail corridors, particularly in the Midwest and West, don't reach more than a few consumers along the railways. Flying is cost-prohibitive on bulk items, and ocean freight is limited to our coastal communities and our cities on major rivers.

No, we are going to have trucks for the foreseeable future - what we need is to assure that they are fully inspected, licensed, permitted for the load they are carrying, and the driver tested and competent. Trucking companies must insure against damage and promote safe driving and proper logs maintained by its employees. That means observing mandated rest stops and downtime for proper sleep.

It's a start. Next we need to address segregating truck traffic through major cities to late hours or specific loop roads. Later we could consider designated freight lanes on our highways.
Old 08-04-11, 02:03 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Before you ban trucks, or slow them to speeds that would REALLY make them a highway hazard, consider this: The home you live in was almost entirely delivered to your lot (in pieces, of course) by a truck. The food on your table, the clothes you are wearing, and the car you are driving, at some point rode on a truck before it reached you.

Now, before you legislate the trucking industry off the road, how do you intend to replace it? Rail corridors, particularly in the Midwest and West, don't reach more than a few consumers along the railways. Flying is cost-prohibitive on bulk items, and ocean freight is limited to our coastal communities and our cities on major rivers.

No, we are going to have trucks for the foreseeable future - what we need is to assure that they are fully inspected, licensed, permitted for the load they are carrying, and the driver tested and competent. Trucking companies must insure against damage and promote safe driving and proper logs maintained by its employees. That means observing mandated rest stops and downtime for proper sleep.

It's a start. Next we need to address segregating truck traffic through major cities to late hours or specific loop roads. Later we could consider designated freight lanes on our highways.
At least someone is thinking outside the box
Old 08-04-11, 04:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X

I'm very well aware of the services trucks provide, I'm a business owner myself and rely on trucks to conduct my business. That however does not discount the fact that just about all of them have no respect of the rules of the road. Here in NY the speed limit is 55mph, and most highways post 55mph cars and 50mph trucks. However they all just max it out and drive at 68mph - some even faster if they remove the governor. Also, most highway post no trucks or buses in left lane - yet they are happy to use the left lane to pass other cars and each other. If you don't let them pass, they will tailgate, honk and flash their high beams at you. Just a month ago I was passed by two 18 wheelers that were racing each other - I was in the middle lane, and one passed me on the right and another on the left doing at least 80mph - and being stuck between them was extremely scary.

That behavior causes other cars to speed and drive even faster, breaking 70mph. I personally don't like speeding and try to never drive more than 5mph over the limit, but its almost impossible with the speeding trucks around you. It's a very hazardous condition when you are being passed by a big rig, especially at night and during bad weather, and around curves, with all the water and snow flying onto your windshield from their tires. Being stuck behind a truck is just as bad, especially during winter, with chunks of ice flying off their roofs. Even during perfect weather, you'll get your windshield sandblasted by a truck if you get stuck behind one.

So yes, I very much think trucks must be restricted with extremely heavy fines for violations - literally $10,000 for speeding, tailgating, being in left lane, and failing to clean snow from their roof. This will greatly reduce amount of accidents and hazards on our highways.
Old 08-04-11, 05:31 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This test was with a fixed barrier. In real world, this would have had other cars which would have also been pushed forward. It isn't negating the severity of impact by a truck, it may not have been as dramatic as shown.
Old 08-04-11, 08:58 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

****REALLY resist standing on the soapbox tonight in defense*****

Only gonna say a few words here and not go into the long ramblings that I have been known to become so famous for when subject matters like this comes up and get close to me.
I hate truckers and truckers, they all drive like maniacs
I'm a business owner myself and rely on trucks to conduct my business. That however does not discount the fact that just about all of them have no respect of the rules of the road
Kind of an oxymoron here,,, you hate all of us, yet you DEPEND on us in order to conduct YOUR business. Seriously,, our business IS to help you conduct YOUR business; and to make sure that what YOU send or what is being sent to YOU is delivered as close to on time as possible. Please dont take ANYTHING that I am about to say as a personal attack, cause it is not; you seem to be the most outspoken. I find some of your statements to be HIGHLY unfair. By NO MEANS, am I defending the actions of ALL truckers, because just as in ANY OTHER INDUSTRY, there are some of us who truly don't belong on the road. You really should not catergorize ALL truckers (myself included), because there are ALOT more of us who do take our jobs seriously, and conduct ourselves in a highly professional manner. NONE of us are perfect(myself included), but safety is our high priority. There are really some areas of the country that we would be just as happy not to have to go into, and wish some of them would just fall off the map period (Cali,,sorry,,Jersey, New York(east of the Hudson), Connecticut, Rhode Island, and the list goes on).
most highway post no trucks or buses in left lane - yet they are happy to use the left lane to pass other cars and each other. If you don't let them pass, they will tailgate, honk and flash their high beams at you.
Very valid point and will not dismiss that it does happen. This type of behavior is unacceptable to us "true profesionals", and we don't condone it. Again,, can't criticize everyone for the actions of a few bad ones, as we are not all in the same mentality.

There have been proposals to restrict the trucks during rush hours in metropolitan areas but are most always defeated
Yes the proposals are normally defeated,,primarily by those groups resonnsible for the loading/unloading (shippers/receivers) who do not want to fork out the overtime monies to pay employees to stick around. Not to mention, with current DOT rules is not feasible.
Has been discussed MANY times over and feasibility along with DOT regulations/rules (which are ALWAYS changing) prevent this from reality. Keep in mind, we, as truckers, move more than 85% of the economy, no matter how slow it is, across the nations roads.

Being stuck behind a truck is just as bad, especially during winter, with chunks of ice flying off their roofs. Even during perfect weather, you'll get your windshield sandblasted by a truck if you get stuck behind one.
Another valid point, however regulations have been put in place for well over 4 years now, which mandate that truck companies, warehouse facilities which have/store/own/ship via trailer have snow removal devices in place on THEIR property. Problem here is enforcement. There is only so much that CAN be done for this problem, and you are right it is dangerous. Equally as much as it is dangerous for me, even if I had the means to climb on top of a 13'6" trailer whose top is made entirely of fiberglass. Wintertime presents hazards for ALL types of vehicles not just trucks in question. Using the above statement,, the same fines should apply to people in their cars who don't remove the snow and ice from the tops and it flies off and right into MY windshield (remember,,your roof is prety much JUST below my front windshield level). Is more dangerous for me, because of the control I NEED to maintain of the vehicle as well as the weight that I have to control. In other types of bad weather, honestly,, the safest place you CAN be is behind me. Most people, especially in heavy rain, WILL jump in behind me and keep some distance to use the lighting on my truck as their guide. Most people know that we will plow on, no matter what the condition, so if we are stopping/slowing, then they need to do the same. As a 10 year veteran, with close to a million SAFE, accident free miles behind the wheel, I just needed to say something. Honestly,, you would be surprised at just how heavily regulated the industry truly is; it would almost make your head spin.

With the main point of this thread,,people have been trying to defy the laws of physics for decades and it just is not gonna happen. Yes the crash is terrible, and it needs to serve as a grim reminder to check your own actions around trucks; as we need to do the same as well. There are more advances in safety on comercial equipment that many of you are not aware of, b/c the trucking industry is not of interest to most until something horrific happens. Trucks do have the ammenities of air bag deployment, lane departure warning, blindside intrusion alerts, laser guided distancing, ABS brakes (for both truck and trailer), stability control, and the list is almost limitless with new products coming out every year. Right now,, the trucking industry is at it's lowest accident rate in almost 50 years, and this is something which will ALWAYS need focus and attention.

Last edited by trukn1; 08-05-11 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 09:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Trunkn, I knew you would be offended if you saw my post, and therefore I was somewhat hesitant clicking the submit button. Of course I realize that not all truckers fall into the categories I've described, but here in Tri-State area, thats pretty much how it is.

I can appreciate safe, professional drivers (and that applies to everyone - truckers and passenger car drivers). Unfortunately its the obnoxious bunch that make driving miserable for everyone.

My biggest gripe with truckers is speeding. Again, I hate to stereotype, but just about all trucks I see on highways around here are maxing it out, no matter what the posted limit is, no matter if its a construction zone, no matter if conditions are hazardous, etc. And that of course creates the rest of the hazards - other drivers are forced to speed up, passing on the left, flying ice, water and debris, etc. Not even to mention that a collision with an 18 wheeler traveling at nearly 70mph is guaranteed to be fatal.

In my opinion, the posted speed limit is the most basic and the most important safety regulation. And if most truckers can't even comply with this regulation, who's to say they will comply with the rest?
Old 08-04-11, 10:26 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Faaarrrr from offended my friend, just hit a bit of a nerve as we aren't really credited for the positive things that are done. I worked for a Jersey based carrier for more than 6 years so I know what you are seeing and why you would feel that way. Just dont isolate that to trucks only, but broaden you perspective to observe ALL traffic on the road as well. From the motorcycles, to the arrogant peeps in the cars (not all of them but def a fair share) to maybe even your own driving, EVERYONE shares a blame in the traffic game. Some areas of the country, yours included, there is the mentality that everyone has to "be first" and this too creates alot of problems. Look at those, with what I call the "entitlement factor" on the roads. Just b/c you drive a Benz/Lex/Range Rover/ or some other highly priced ridiculous car doesn't "entitle" you to not have to follow/obey the rules that everyone else does.

a collision with an 18 wheeler traveling at nearly 70mph is guaranteed to be fatal.
This is shared by both parties. While the accident may not do so,, the collateral damage of trying to avoid it may also do him in as well. The risk is almost equally as high, however the scope and perspective do vary slightly.

Unfortunately its the obnoxious bunch that make driving miserable for everyone.
Couldnt agree more. You think you got it bad,, you only have 1 state to deal with. I can have up to 5-6 different states to deal with in the SAME DAY,,each one with it's own unique set of driving mentality. You REALLY should come and ride with me for a week,,guaranteed you will never look at driving, as well as ALL drivers the same again. LOL!!!
Old 08-05-11, 04:16 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta love truckers, hey at least they get discounted girls at truck stops to calm they're nervs down WINK WINK TRUKN1
Old 08-05-11, 04:53 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA40
This test was with a fixed barrier. In real world, this would have had other cars which would have also been pushed forward. It isn't negating the severity of impact by a truck, it may not have been as dramatic as shown.
That fixed barrier looked like it supposed to replicate a Semi's trailer. As if Car #1 was stopped behind a Tractor Trailer at a stop light with the runaway truck unable to stop. At least that is what it looked like too me.
Old 08-05-11, 11:25 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lone freight lanes on highways would be amazing; most compared to an HOV lane. I always get nervous driving around semi-trucks, especially with the huge traffic we have here in Dallas and semi's are trying to drive normal vehicle-size speeds in the left lane... scares the crap out of me.
Old 08-05-11, 02:42 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Gotta love truckers, hey at least they get discounted girls at truck stops to calm they're nervs down WINK WINK TRUKN1
Lol,, common misconception. In a word, um,,,,,,NO!! Not trying to get the gift that keeps on giving. At one time the truckstops were a cespool for that activity,,not so much anymore.

That fixed barrier looked like it supposed to replicate a Semi's trailer. As if Car #1 was stopped behind a Tractor Trailer at a stop light with the runaway truck unable to stop. At least that is what it looked like too me.
Pretty much what it simulated and the effects would be similar. Trust and believe I have seen it on more than one occasion.

Lone freight lanes on highways would be amazing; most compared to an HOV lane. I always get nervous driving around semi-trucks, especially with the huge traffic we have here in Dallas and semi's are trying to drive normal vehicle-size speeds in the left lane... scares the crap out of me.
It has been discussed and proposed in several states,,Texas included. Biggest problem is funding for the highway as well as the advocacy groups who ALWAYS scream unfair in regards to the dedicated lane. Another factor is that when these lanes are proposed, it is only proposed as a TOLL road, with ASTRONOMICAL cost to run. Not that we mind paying tolls to run the road, but that money will NOT be used to maintain the road, it just goes to the states revenue along with all of the other highway use/fuel/registration/etc. taxes that we are subject too.

Last edited by trukn1; 08-05-11 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 03:14 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After watching that video, *I* want to be the one in the truck - not in those small tin can cars.

Turby