Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New even stricter fuel economy standards to be signed into law.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 10:30 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default New even stricter fuel economy standards to be signed into law.

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-mar...s-for-vehicles

By Jared A. Favole, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- President Barack Obama Friday formally unveiled new fuel-economy standards, saying the stepped-up mile-per-gallon requirements represent the most significant step that the U.S. has taken to wean itself off foreign oil.

Obama, speaking at a convention center in the nation's capital, said that, with gasoline prices "killing people at the pump," the new fuel standards will help people save money. The new proposal by the Obama administration would increase corporate average fuel economy, or CAFE, to 54.5 miles per gallon between 2017 and 2025.

Just when we thought the current future regulations were tough and would be hard to achieve they have been raised even more.

I think it is pretty safe to say this will cause the end of the V8, V10, V12 engines. Most likely 6 cylinders will become very rare expensive options. This could also kill sports car/luxury makers like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, etc . Car companies are struggling and cutting just to meet an average of 27mpg or so now, can't imagine what they will have to do to get in the 30's, 40's, and even mid 50's especially since buyers do not seem very interested in hybrids and especially not interested in electrics. I don't know why car companies agreed to this unless they really had no choice, I did read about some kind of review every so often of the standards which automakers may think they can count on to say it can't be done unless everyone suddenly wants to buy a Leaf, Volt, Insight, or Prius which is not going to happen.
Old 07-29-11, 10:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think they discussed this on the car show last night. The manufacturers can do. We all need to do it. Farewell my beautiful V8
Old 07-29-11, 11:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Sorry, but this is just another idiocy by government. To achieve this, the cars will have to be super light which means they'll need exotic materials and very energy intensive and expensive manufacturing methods. No doubt they're not going to relax the crash survivability and passive restraint requirements, so we'll get cars with low power, low weight, and VERY high price tags.

Way to go government. Maybe we should just repeal Newton's Laws so we can solve the whole problem?
Old 07-29-11, 11:17 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a point where you just cannot get any more MPG

A reasonable target needs to be set otherwise the auto marktet is going to really suck and be VERY expensive
Old 07-29-11, 11:28 AM
kingofny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might mean that older, more powerful but thirsty cars retain their value better?

Gas prices in the US might seem expensive right now, but in the UK we've been paying nearly $9 a gallon. If the US government forces cars to be more economical, won't they lose a fortune in tax revenue on gas? They'll have to raise gas duty to make up for it surely?
Old 07-29-11, 11:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with Lance and J.P., and also think that better MPG is ahead of is through natural competition in a free market economy.

Hybrids, econo cars, mainstream and entry level cars are all constantly one-upping eachother with fuel efficiency the same way that high performance cars are doing with horsepower. This is evident even in the luxury realm, and believe it or not, with some high performance models as well.

I think you could almost argue that, even for some car guys, the second or third question after "How much power does it have?" or "What transmission?" is, "What is the gas mileage like?"

People already have - and are going to continue to - put their money on vehicles with superior fuel efficiency. No need for the government to force this on the auto industry...those who can't keep up with either die off or get better.
Old 07-29-11, 11:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofny
Might mean that older, more powerful but thirsty cars retain their value better?
Certain groups/politicians will probably try to heavily fine, regulate, or even ban cars that don't come close to meeting these ridiculous standards
Old 07-29-11, 11:45 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Its going to be like a few other places in the world, the wealthy will be able to afford the SUV \ Trucks etc and average joe is going to be stuck a small car without much use because thats what affordable
Old 07-29-11, 11:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Every previous time they've increased the economy standards, there have been numerous cars that already exceeded the new requirements. Often they were compact cars and relatively barebones, but they existed nonetheless. NOT A SINGLE CAR currently available or indeed coming in the near future meets this new standard. Hell, many motorcycles don't. The Prius isn't good enough to make the average, which fully half the cars a manufacturer sells has to exceed.

Just rediculous. FU Obama.
Old 07-29-11, 12:05 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate how they spew out "will help people save money". People who are getting by don't have the dough to go out and shell out 25k+ for a new 'fuel efficient' car. The amount of gas the price difference between the new car and what they have now could last that person anywhere for 5-10 years if not more. That new car will NOT pay itself off in that time frame either. Once again, another BS regulation that will hurt the people.
Old 07-29-11, 12:59 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This will mark the introduction of A LOT more electric, hybrid and diesels into the us market.
Old 07-29-11, 01:49 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

wow....thats harsh, but I beleive most auto maker can archive that. 70% of car at the time will have Prius like drivetrain. If the prius can archive 50mpg now, I'm sure it will be better by 2020. looks like everyone will have to drag race in a prius......1/4 in 20s....lolz

When will they have cash for crunker again, I'm sure my SC will qualify