Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus dealer traffic... slooooow (?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 03:32 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Lexus hasn't had supply problems because its popular RX is built here in North America. And if you notice, Audi has been on the way up, and Lexus is on a downward slope, due to old, outdated models.

Audis are built in Germany. Exchange rates and supply problems have plagued Audi for the last couple years now because Audi AG prefers to send most of them to Europe, where they make more $$$. Should we bring up Lexus sales in Europe for comparison?

Obviously Lexus sales should be right at the top again in the US when the new products come, but even then Mercedes and BMW have been giving Lexus a run for top spot. It's only going to help the consumers. We're going to have more amazing products in the future from every company.

Not true. The RX has been GREATLY affected by the earthquake/tsunami. Currently 8 of the 12 cars that Toyota builds in North America are near full production, however, the RX is one of the 4 that is being built in limited numbers. This is because the RX uses computer chips that were manufactured by Renesas, and their Naka factory was destroyed in the earthquake/tsunami. They are frantically working to rebuild the plant, and it is supposed to back in full production by July 15.
Old 06-24-11, 04:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Lexus hasn't had supply problems because its popular RX is built here in North America. And if you notice, Audi has been on the way up, and Lexus is on a downward slope, due to old, outdated models.

Audis are built in Germany. Exchange rates and supply problems have plagued Audi for the last couple years now because Audi AG prefers to send most of them to Europe, where they make more $$$. Should we bring up Lexus sales in Europe for comparison?

Obviously Lexus sales should be right at the top again in the US when the new products come, but even then Mercedes and BMW have been giving Lexus a run for top spot. It's only going to help the consumers. We're going to have more amazing products in the future from every company.
Again, if Audi does not want to sells cars in the USA for whatever reason, it is their own fault.

Lexus sales in Europe suck for several reasons, main of which was that the cars are too tailored for the USA (another that europeans buy their own brands). And thats why Lexus has been the best seller in USA for last 10-11 years.
Old 06-24-11, 11:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I hadn't heard anything official that the earthquake delayed model releases. Just parts and current models out already.

Regardless, I agree the main reason for the sales slowdown is the old(er) models about to be changed over. We've agreed before that once the new ES, GS, and IS debut, the pendulum will swing way to the other side and all eyes will be on Lexus. This is exactly what happened in 2006 with a wave of new products.

Now, if only Lexus could find a way to stagger their redesigns, they could avoid the same downturn seven to eight years from now. Actually, I wonder if the Lexus marketers and bean counters even see this as a problem. FYIW, Audi has the same issue. No new redesigned sedans, then a new A4, A8, and now A6 come within three years.
Old 06-25-11, 09:52 PM
phil05
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I was checking out the Audi Q5, Lexus RX, and BMW X3 two days ago, and among the dealerships, I must say the Lexus dealer did have the least traffic, but could it be because it was just 9:30 AM? when they just opened, and the BMW was the 2nd busiest, alot checking out the BMW X3 and 5-Series but gee no hi or nothing while walking around, with Audi 2nd least busy, friendly staff similar to Lexus but boy the salesperson was bashing the BMW and Lexus like crazy , and the back up camera failed on my Audi Q5 test drive and the salesperson couldn't explain why. Ended up though with a Nissan Murano after all the search.
My experience was similar as the BMW has the most traffic and Lexus had the least. I was looking at the G37, 335i, and IS350 a few weeks ago and the Infiniti customer service sucked big time..by time I was in the parking lot I has 3 sales man waiting for me outside my car like sharks lol, Lexus wasn't as good as I thought they be though, but BMW was very good to my surprise.
Old 06-27-11, 02:00 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I hadn't heard anything official that the earthquake delayed model releases. Just parts and current models out already.

Regardless, I agree the main reason for the sales slowdown is the old(er) models about to be changed over. We've agreed before that once the new ES, GS, and IS debut, the pendulum will swing way to the other side and all eyes will be on Lexus. This is exactly what happened in 2006 with a wave of new products.

Now, if only Lexus could find a way to stagger their redesigns, they could avoid the same downturn seven to eight years from now. Actually, I wonder if the Lexus marketers and bean counters even see this as a problem. FYIW, Audi has the same issue. No new redesigned sedans, then a new A4, A8, and now A6 come within three years.
One could hope that with the newer cars like the CT & HS in the mix, their next redesigns, which should come before the next-next gen GS, IS, ES, LS help prevent another dry spell with respect to new launches in the next 5-6 years. That rumored 2014 SC should also help.