Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What was the MOST UNRELIABLE auto you ever owned!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 01:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by suislide
89 325i and 91 525i 5spd. B.M.W.....Big Massive Waste
Break My Wallet

Back On topic, our 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo had transmission issues left and right. Oddly enough, still love that car despite it's problems
Old 09-15-11, 05:03 PM
MikeSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ex had a 1981(?)Mazda rx7...I had to push start it below 30degrees!!!
Old 09-15-11, 05:27 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaceSC300
My worst car was a 1996 Neon. EVERYTHING was broken. Tranny, windows, engine, gas tank, shocks are a few of the things that gave out one after the other. Junk it and got $150 for it. $150 more than it is was worth.
I had a 1994 Neon. That car had a bad oil leak problem so shortly after the warranty expired I had to get rid of it, at that time the car still had the original tires and brakes but was otherwise not usable.
Old 09-15-11, 08:14 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Two notables, 1994 Volkswagen Jetta, key got suck in the ignation, brake switch broke, stranding the car, rusting, and the interior lights were replaced, and were starting to go out again !
The next is my Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, I know a DSM, maybe some of this is fault of modding it, and finding proper people to look at it but the list includes, cracked exhaust manifold, exhaust leak that was never cured, o2 sensors, cat converter, and aftermarket cat converter, running hot, altanator, altanator belt always falling off, leading to loss of power steering and erratic electrics happened over three times never cured, fear transmission was staring to go out, very high idle, in the end was running rich and blew out black smoke.. Despite all this, I really miss it, just love the sound and power of the turbo !
Old 09-15-11, 11:06 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

2002 honda civic auto trans. suck.
Old 09-16-11, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
1974 Pinto wagon. We had two of these in the company fleet when the boss decided he wanted to abandon the big Ranch Wagons and go green that year. Incredibly ugly green, their only redeeming quality was the 4-spd that made them slightly interesting. Slow, but interesting.

We replaced it with a beautiful 1976 Dodge Aspen wagon that seduced everyone into driving it - but while benign, it spent more time in the shop than in the motor pool for a whole series of maladies that could never be satisfactorily repaired. It was the reason we went to permanently assigned cars, much to the chagrin of our resident bean-counter. The solution was to force him into the remaining Pinto, and although his job description didn't warrant a company car, after a spate of self-congratulatory giggles, he learned that Pintos fed on human flesh after his took a coupla swings at him, he stopped kissing up to the boss and we all got assigned cars shortly thereafter.
Correct, Lil. The Volare/Aspen rode better than the Valiant/Dart they replaced, and were less-noisy, but there the improvement stops. Quality-control and engineering were never even close to the high slant-six Valiant/Dart standards. The Volare/Aspen should have never been introduced. I had previously owned a Duster, and my Dad had had two Valiants...both of us complained loudly (at the time, not later) to Chrysler officials about the replacement.
Old 09-16-11, 11:57 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Break My Wallet

Back On topic, our 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo had transmission issues left and right. Oddly enough, still love that car despite it's problems

Yes! Haha My parents had a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo in black and I loved that thing! It was supposed to be handed down to me as my first car but it had transmission problems too. Not to mention the interior kept falling apart lol one time the whole passenger side door panel started popping out My mom totaled it so I never got to experience it's problems first-hand.
Old 09-16-11, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Yes! Haha My parents had a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo in black and I loved that thing! It was supposed to be handed down to me as my first car but it had transmission problems too. Not to mention the interior kept falling apart lol one time the whole passenger side door panel started popping out My mom totaled it so I never got to experience it's problems first-hand.
Did your mom just get too confident with the Jeep on a slippery road and lose it?

I'm not necessarily saying this was the case with your mom, but a lot of people end up wrecking SUVs (and other AWD vehicles) because they think that having power to all four wheels is somehow magic in the snow/ice, and that you can drive like it was dry pavement. It doesn't work that way, of course. AWD helps you get started from a stop easier, can prevent you from getting stuck in snow, and, overall, is a little more sure-footed. But it usually does little or nothing to make you stop or corner any better. Thumb your nose at its limitations (as many people do in winter) and there can be consequences.
Old 09-17-11, 10:37 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2008 Audi R8 V8 blew the engine twice and had the transmission faluire once, in 3 years and 36,000km........sold it and got the V10 instead so far 11,000km in the car has been spot on, i cant believe a lambo engine is better than an RS4 engine in terms of relaibility
Old 09-19-11, 04:06 PM
ARehman
Rookie

I've owned a 96 nissan altima got in 01, dead sold reliable with the exception of needing the alternator replaced. Dad kept it to use as his beater and still drives it daily. 00 civic ex coupe got it in 03, beat the hell out of this car and had a stock internal single cam with a turbo kit that just ran forever. Put it back to stock and got my 04 IS300 in 2005. The IS now has 104k miles and besides maint items has been having suspension and alignment problems that even replacing everything can't seem to solve. So I have to say the IS is the only one that I've had to fix anything on, but luckily my friend owns a shop and was a Lexus tech prior, so it has been fairly cheap. I think this car will easily last to 300k mile and it just pulls slightly to the left but still irritating. I might ditch it next year for an ISF though, but still think I would miss the IS300 a lot.
Old 09-19-11, 06:52 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

All of my cars have been reliable, but they've all been Japanese cars.

However, I have to deal with the wife's car. 2010 335i with 13k miles. 6 trips to the dealership while in limp mode and on it's 3rd high pressure fuel pump. One more time and I'm going to lemon it.

Last edited by pvmike1; 09-19-11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 07:43 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPG35
2002 honda civic auto trans. suck.
Most of the old Honda automatic transmissions suck. I had a 98 Prelude (loved the car!) but it was on its 3rd transmission when i traded it in, sister had a 98 Accord, rebuilt the transmission once, and it was dying again within 60k. Girlfriend's 02 Acura TL, no issues when she had it, then i heard from the new owner the transmission died a couple months later unexpectedly -_- Her sister had a Honda CR-V, same deal oddly...tranny died soon after it was sold. Right now we got a 2003 Acura TL Type-S, on its 3rd transmission also

I will never buy a 2004 or older Honda w/ automatic ever again! In fact, looking at my brothers 08 Civic, which has gone through several faulty sun visors, has brakes that never last past 20k and apparently there's an issue with these cars having thin metal on the engine block causing cracking...... i don't think I or anyone in my family will ever buy a Honda again
Old 09-19-11, 08:54 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Break My Wallet
Old 09-19-11, 09:26 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Never really had an 'unreliable car per say'. Besides old parts that wore out and failed with age.

However the 02 Sentra I had was the most annoying. The rear breaks were drums. The service manual specified one type of shoes. The stores carried that. Didn't fit. Checked with the dealer. They couldn't find the right part either. It was the first time I've ever seen my dad snap at someone. The manager was insulting our intelligence saying that the rear hub might have been swapped out. I told him, why the hell would anyone swap out drum brakes for drum brakes? So Nissan dealership couldn't help us, service manual couldn't help us, and no-one else could help us. Well my dad started going to one auto shop after another and ended up at O'Rielly; and go figure, THEY had the right parts. So they had the right parts/part #'s and the dealership didn't.

Did I forget to mention that that particular dealership is closed now?
Old 09-21-11, 12:45 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Same here, never had an unreliable car, in order that i've owned them (NEVER more than one at a time, always successive): 00 elantra, 03 focus, 99 neon, 01 protege, 04 rio, and finally i have my 92 sc400. All of them served me dutifully.

I liked the 01 protege the least though, squeaky belt from hell, but it was poorly treated by last owner in its defense

Quick Reply: What was the MOST UNRELIABLE auto you ever owned!