Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What was the MOST UNRELIABLE auto you ever owned!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-16, 10:24 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The two most unreliable cars that I have owned were my 1995 Camry and 2007 Camry, both acquired new. But I must add that once the problems were fixed, I had no other problems with them.

In the first few months I had my 1995 Camry, I went through quite a few taillight bulbs. As the first few burned out, I just went out to Canadian Tire and bought replacement bulbs. After this became a frustrating routine, I started to worry that there was a problem with the electrical system so I took it to the dealer to have it checked. The service guy tells me that there was no problem and that he changed to a Japanese bulb that was better than the American-made ones so it should be better. He was right, no more problems.

In the first few months I had my 2007 Camry, I went through 3 or 4 sets of sunvisors, replaced under warranty; they would not stay in any position I wanted them, other than fully up. Finally, they were fixed, the service guy telling me that they had not been installed properly the previous times. There were no more problems after that.
Old 06-18-16, 08:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Pontiac 6000 STE AWD. Easily one of the most interesting cars with its torque laden 3.3 V6 and it's ability to defy snow. C&D top ten list car.

But...junk transmission and drive-train electrics that had a snit fit like one of the Kardashians. And an unreliable car that left me stranded right after I bought it used from a scummy seller who didn't want me to take it much beyond the block. It kept having problems long after that.

The Olds 88 3.8 V6, probably a 1990's era. Cooked its transmission right on the highway and... yes left me stranded. Ridiculous car for what it was supposed to be. After that, no Detroit domestic brands for me, ever. Don't trust them and don't care to own them.
Old 06-19-16, 12:08 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sold my 7series BMW recently...

Name:  6-7-2015%2010-43-31%20PM_zpsh9heyrjq.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  115.0 KB

sold it to a car broker...just wanted to get rid of the thing after I spent a ton getting it running right again
Old 06-19-16, 12:52 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YotaSC400
94' Pontiac Bonneville SSEi 3.8l supercharged
I bought it for $150 with 220k on it, didn't run as it needed crank sensor. Did that and it ran good for about 10k. It was pretty fast after all my mods( 12psi boost SC pulley, exhaust, intake) then it started having stumble and surging issues) fought with those problems coming and going for 15k. Probably dumped $2000 in parts trying to get it to run good again but it never did. I ended up burning a hole through #3 piston
holding the car basically WFO almost at the governer for about 10mins, I let off, stepped on it again and it suddenly had little power and made no boost. I drove the car into pick n pull nearly 100km from wear I live running on 5cyl and burning oil like crazy, they gave me $150 for it...... Haha best first car ever LOL
The 12psi pulley is what killed it.

It was probably knocking like crazy.
Old 06-19-16, 02:59 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok I will put mine in-my 1986 GMC Jimmy Sierra Classic. Here she was way back in 1997 with my sweetie Rosie lending her gorgeousness to the scene
This thing had an anemic 305-4 v8 which was rated at 155hp and like 270lbs torque...WAY underpowered for something this heavy. I downsized those tires you see in the photo from 33s to 31s to pick up a better power distribution. Did not help much. I was constantly hanging off that engine bay trying to get it timed right to eliminate a horrific detonation on the freeway. Then the converter melted. Then it started smoking blue on takeoff. I traded it in on a '92 Accord Coupe (weenie car deluxe but very reliable).
Then I gave that one to Rosie's son and bought my 2001 Tacoma in 2001 and never looked back, now I still own that and my new 4RX. I am so basking in automotive reliability right now that bad memories like this money pit are more than made-up-for
Old 06-19-16, 09:18 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
ok I will put mine in-my 1986 GMC Jimmy Sierra Classic. Here she was way back in 1997 with my sweetie Rosie lending her gorgeousness to the scene
This thing had an anemic 305-4 v8 which was rated at 155hp and like 270lbs torque...WAY underpowered for something this heavy. I downsized those tires you see in the photo from 33s to 31s to pick up a better power distribution. Did not help much. I was constantly hanging off that engine bay trying to get it timed right to eliminate a horrific detonation on the freeway. Then the converter melted. Then it started smoking blue on takeoff. I traded it in on a '92 Accord Coupe (weenie car deluxe but very reliable).
Then I gave that one to Rosie's son and bought my 2001 Tacoma in 2001 and never looked back, now I still own that and my new 4RX. I am so basking in automotive reliability right now that bad memories like this money pit are more than made-up-for
It sucks you have to deal with smog ****'s in California. 70's/80's GM trucks like that are perfect candidates for a crate engine. $2500 buys you about 300hp worth of factory warrantied Chevy 350 goodness.
Old 06-19-16, 09:42 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aron9000
It sucks you have to deal with smog ****'s in California. 70's/80's GM trucks like that are perfect candidates for a crate engine. $2500 buys you about 300hp worth of factory warrantied Chevy 350 goodness.
+1! And GM wised up the very next year and started putting a fuel-injected 350 in those Jimmies.
Old 06-21-16, 06:46 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a tie between my 1967 Mustang Fastback and our 1988 Pontiac Bonneville. The Mustang I purchased used right out of college. Within a year the monthly repair costs were equal to a new car payment as it was one problem after another with the expression "what now?" being the name of the car. I traded it in on a 1969 Corvette that I beat the snot out of and it was still way more reliable than that Mistake Mustang.
When I married and started a family, we traded our 2 door Buick for a 1988 Pontiac, big mistake. The only good news about the Pontiac was it had a 60,000 mile warranty, so each failure, that included 2 engine computer failure/replacements, a blown timing chain, a steering rack blowout, among the constant problems only cost us $100 per event. When it reached 59,000 miles, I announced to the wife, that car is G-O-N-E. Usually conservative, she agreed on the spot.
Old 06-21-16, 11:25 AM
YotaSC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by litesoarer
The 12psi pulley is what killed it.

It was probably knocking like crazy.
It didn't knock, but I did run 94octane in it. Just was to lean as it didn't have any fuel mods to support all that boost.
Old 06-23-16, 05:35 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

1999 Corvette--Hardly drove the thing, but every time I started it something would go wrong...traction control lights, headlight motor gears stripped, steering wheel lock broke. The dash would light up like a Christmas tree every other week.

1999 Honda Accord LX automatic 4 cylinder-- From reading other people's issues with this car I'm a bit surprised because the car was very good to me. Bought it new, still have it with 278,000 miles (was my daily driver for years). Still on original engine and transmission. I did replace some things, but we're talking about a car with almost 300,000 miles. And the parts are cheap! Here's my list of things that went wrong in 17 years (keep in mind almost nothing went wrong in the first 120,000 miles).
Evap canister twice
Vtec solenoid
Countless sway bar bushings and links
Struts in the front, rears are original
Steering rack
Three axles
Four upper control arms (these things are now $20 and include the ball joint)
Two lower ball joints
Gas tank (rotted out, not fun to replace, big job)
Probably five mufflers
Brake and fuel lines (needs them again)
O2 sensor
Front engine mount 3 times
Rear engine mount
Transmission pressure switch
EGR valve
Two timing belts and water pumps
Developed an idle problem around 200,000 miles (replaced the IAC, plugs, cap, wires, cleaned the intake out. Didn't help)
Probably have replaced 3 brake calipers (something began to stick, replaced the hoses too)
Front cradle-- probably the biggest fault in the car - Honda dumped the Evap tube right on top of it and they rot out. Huge job, did it myself with a junk yard part. Otherwise it's probably a $2,500 dollar repair.
Countless tie rod ends.
Replaced the front sway bar...the thing wore away.

^^^All of that^^^^ In all honesty the car was pretty great. Out of all those repairs above, only the gas tank and the cradle were what I'd consider major repairs. The others? Easily stuff, cheap parts, quick jobs. But as I look over that list?? Man that is long. But we are talking 17 years! I don't remember spending more than $300 bucks a year for this thing...just drove it all over the place.
Old 06-23-16, 07:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

That would have to be my 2006 Scion tC. I had it for just under 2 years and had it in for warranty work 16 times. Some things were simple, like a headlight being replaced for condensation, others were more frequent, like a rear hatch that always rattled, to more mechanical things like the thermostat getting stuck open. Electrical problems like the stereo crapping out, and some mod related, like having the bearings go out in the TRD supercharger. All of these items (and more) were replaced under warranty, but I got tired of taking it in all the time, so at about 30k miles I traded it in for an '07 4Runner which was awesome and provided 60k completely trouble free miles.

Last edited by JDR76; 06-23-16 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-23-16, 08:03 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2007 GS350 AWD

Hateful, unfixable, unreliable pile of garbage.

To this day, as Pre Owned Manager at a Lexus dealership I am loathe to sell 3rd gen GSs.
Old 06-25-16, 05:18 AM
99GS300TRD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1989 Corolla sr5 coupe, it burned all the fluids lol
Old 06-25-16, 01:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

i've never had a vehicle that was unreliable.
Old 06-25-16, 07:42 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i've never had a vehicle that was unreliable.
You just jinxed it. Your next one will leave you constantly stranded.

Quick Reply: What was the MOST UNRELIABLE auto you ever owned!