Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 24hrs of Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 04:43 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Old 06-12-11, 05:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by uras300
This should be in general car chat.
Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
It's helpful if you guys push the 'report a post' feature. Images like Thomas posted are funny, but start a lot of forum arguments and flaming not only in this thread, but in future ones as you alienate other members... definitely not helpful.

Thanks.

Thread merged. OP, non, SC content doesn't go in the SC forum please.
Old 06-12-11, 05:23 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the 787b mazda is going to be driving around before the race!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaKdI...eature=related

Last edited by iridebmx; 06-12-11 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-12-11, 05:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I'm 'full' of race TV for a while . Watched most of Le Mans, F1, Continental Challenge and some Moto GP during the rain delay.
Old 06-15-11, 02:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised this wasn't posted yet, but Toyota participated in Le Mans this year ... in a stealthy ninja sort of way .

Rebellion Racing ran a car in LMP1 which was a Lola chassis with a Toyota engine.

http://www.rebellion-racing.com/110612.html

The #12 Lola-Toyota car finished 6th overall and was the top gas-powered finisher. So the 5 other cars that finished ahead of it were ALL diesel LMP1 machines; 4 Peugeot LMP1 diesels and the single Audi LMP1 diesel that finished 1st.

Toyota Motorsport GmbH helped modify, prepare and test the the RV8K engine (used in Super GT by Toyota) for use in Le Mans:

http://www.rebellion-racing.com/toyota_rv8klm.html

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Toyota returning to Le Mans in full force in the future.
Old 06-15-11, 09:09 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gengar
The race is still going on (2.5 hours left) and is quite good, so I recommend tuning in. I didn't expect to stay up all night watching but the race is still very competitive in multiple categories, including the overall. Looks like I'll only get a short power nap after since the Formula 1 race is this afternoon. Glad I didn't have much to do this weekend!

A lot of pros are all over twitter blaming the amateurs due to the two Audi incidents (both of the other involved cars were GTE Amateur class), but I think that's just an attempt at an easy elitist cop out. At the very least McNish deserves a significant amount of the blame for the incident for being so aggressive during the corner.

Drivers learn early on during their competitive careers that when they're a slower car and there's any doubt, they should stick to the racing line. There's a reason for this, and that's that such behavior is predictable to passing cars. That certainly doesn't give slower cars the right to run faster cars off the track when those cars try to pass, but certainly in this case McNish should have known better. In watching the replays, I wonder if maybe McNish misjudged the situation due to lack of visibility over the massive front wheel arches on the R18.
You are spot on. We teach drivers early on to maintain there line when being overtaken. As you said, it makes it predictable for the overtaking driver to pick his/her way through traffic.

McNish was basically being a tad over aggressive (just my opinion) for how early in the race they were. I'm sure visibility had some part to play, but too often, faster classes want to blame the slower ones for being in the way. Though Allen did make a statement afterwards, calling it nothing more than a "racing incident".

The incident with the other Audi, however, really was the Ferrari's fault. The in-car footage clearly shows that he "flashed" the Ferrari well in advance, (and repeatedly) and was still moved over on.

The chatter on this in the various racing circles has been non-stop..
Old 06-15-11, 09:19 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Seems like there was a lot of time for the R18 to decrease speed as it drifted out of control in the dirt. Yet it skipped right over it all and hit the wall full force. Shouldn't they have some sort of ground material that slows down out of control cars down before they hit the wall?
There actually is quite a large gravel trap before that barrier. Most traps are about 3' deep with gravel, and once a car digs in, it slows down pretty quick. The problem is that the Audi skipped like a rock, and never dug in. Watch how hard it hits, compared to the Ferrari, which had a fairly light impact.