Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Friend has $100k to spend on a new car! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 11:47 AM
ekc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
When I see these threads I think
  • If you really have 100k to spend and can afford it, you have 120k to spend.
  • Reality is 100k is the max and a figure people like to use, so chances are 60-70 is realistic
  • Buyer probably doesn’t know much about car others than he wants something baller

So go buy a S5 or Cayman and call it a day already
That's what I'm thinking too. Is the 100k the limit for car price or total out the door + insurance + maintainence? The latter is essentially a 75k limit.

So, my recommendations based on both limits:

75k - Cayman R, Lotus Evora

100k - Carrera GTS, Nissan GT-R
Old 05-17-11, 12:44 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Right. The intense desire to Keep Up With the Jones's sometimes overrules a person's common sense. Me, I'd never put 100K into a car....probably 30 or 40 max. There are other things in life that could come up at any moment (medical bills, litigation, problems around the house, etc....) where you may need to have that money in the bank for an emergency.
This is somewhat OT, but what if your raking in $1-2mil a year. You'd still only spend 30-40k max on a car?

I'm not specifically talking to you, but I never understood people when they balk at people who want to spend $100k+ on cars.. For people making 7-8 figure salaries, 100k is literally nothing to them and I'm sure at least for the financially minded people, they already have enough in the bank for "emergencies."
Old 05-17-11, 12:49 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a crap load of Honda Civics and open up a race/derby track lol
Old 05-17-11, 12:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, we already had numerous and unrelated 8th grade finance lessons on this thread...
Old 05-17-11, 02:03 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Loaded Cayman S is what I would do.

When you say coupe, do you mean 2+2 or strictly 2 seater or both? I'm guessing both.
Old 05-17-11, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mlee21
This is somewhat OT, but what if your raking in $1-2mil a year. You'd still only spend 30-40k max on a car?

I'm not specifically talking to you, but I never understood people when they balk at people who want to spend $100k+ on cars.. For people making 7-8 figure salaries, 100k is literally nothing to them and I'm sure at least for the financially minded people, they already have enough in the bank for "emergencies."
If that's the case, then, fine. Too many people, though, buy more car than they can afford....the repo stats alone show that.

But, for the sake of the original topic, we'll assume that the person in question CAN afford 100K. My advice, then, in direct response to the question, would be to look first at a Jaguar XKR. Coupe or convertible, it is a stunning car.....and, like I said earler, driving one is like dating a supermodel. Yes, there could be some reliability issues with Jags, but most Jag dealerships bend over backwards to satisfy their customers with things like free loaners.
Old 05-17-11, 08:28 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Is this entire thread actually a reading comprehension test?

If it is most of the posts in here are complete FAIL.

LUXURY COUPE....BRAND NEW....$100K or less.

Pay attention people.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Right. The intense desire to Keep Up With the Jones's sometimes overrules a person's common sense. Me, I'd never put 100K into a car....probably 30 or 40 max. There are other things in life that could come up at any moment (medical bills, litigation, problems around the house, etc....) where you may need to have that money in the bank for an emergency.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion Mike, but there are many that would disagree with you.

By no means am I saying overextend/finance yourself, but why shouldn't people enjoy what they want if they have the means.

Frankly, I could give a ratz azz what the neighbours drive. I'll buy whatever keeps me and the Mrs. happy whether it's $30K, $90K or $200K....if we can comfortably afford it.

You only get one go round, so live life to the fullest.

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont see 99% of the cars people suggest here as luxury coupes.

Or brand new or $100K or less.
Old 05-17-11, 08:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Is this entire thread actually a reading comprehension test?

If it is most of the posts in here are complete FAIL.

LUXURY COUPE....BRAND NEW....$100K or less.

Pay attention people.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion Mike, but there are many that would disagree with you.

By no means am I saying overextend/finance yourself, but why shouldn't people enjoy what they want if they have the means.

Frankly, I could give a ratz azz what the neighbours drive. I'll buy whatever keeps me and the Mrs. happy whether it's $30K, $90K or $200K....if we can comfortably afford it.

You only get one go round, so live life to the fullest.

Or brand new or $100K or less.
/ thread.....

Old 05-17-11, 09:20 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Well, coupe and luxury don't exactly go hand in hand, unless you're looking at exotics which are usually well over the 100k threshold. At the 100k price point, you either can go with a 100k~ luxury sedan, or 60-80k luxury coupe.
The only "luxury coupes" I can really come up with that's not an M3 is an SL550, RS5.
And on the sport coupe side, we have possibilities like, a Carrera, Evora, or GT-R, which IMO are not luxury (911 might be debatable)

(Keep in mind I'm trying to get as close to the 100k budget as possible, therefore leaving out cheaper ones like SLK55 AMG, Cayman)

I'm just saying, the requirements of sporty, luxury, AND coupe is a very hard requirement to fulfill, which is why most people dropped one of the requirements. I personally think there's not that much difference in having two or four doors, and at 100k, there are MUCH nicer sedans than there are coupes, and they nail that price point on the dot.
Old 05-17-11, 09:33 PM
needis
Driver School Candidate

M6 comes to mind.