Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti taps Lexus exec to lead global marketing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 08:35 AM
LexFather

Post Infiniti taps Lexus exec to lead global marketing

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...303079997/1280

Keith St. Clair, a veteran marketing executive at Toyota and Lexus, will take over Infiniti's worldwide marketing communications and media relations.

St. Clair most recently was in charge of global marketing for Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus Division, overseeing brand strategy. He was stationed in Nagoya, Japan.

In his new role at Nissan Motor Co.'s Infiniti Business Unit, he will coordinate global marketing strategy from Franklin, Tenn. The United States is Infiniti's largest market.

The position has been vacant since last year, when General Motors veteran Jon Brancheau moved from that job to take over Nissan Division's North American marketing.

St. Clair joined Toyota in 1990 in product planning. In 2006 he was named corporate manager for global and advanced business strategy at Lexus.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1JhVHloPH

Old 04-16-11, 08:37 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

he'd been with the lexus nearly since the marque's formal introduction to the world. hm.
Old 04-16-11, 08:44 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess we can expect more jabs at Lexus in the future from Infiniti.
Old 04-16-11, 09:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of execs and high level managers leaving Toyota/Lexus in the last few years.
Old 04-16-11, 09:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Lots of execs and high level managers leaving Toyota/Lexus in the last few years.
Seems a lot of it is to go elsewhere for higher pay. I mean Infiniti already takes every page out of their book so not sure how much more he can provide.

Thats a move though, from Japan to TN!

Maybe it was mutual as well. Lexus seems to really be positioning itself even more globally and sportier. Mr. St. Clair has obviously done an incredible job at Lexus and his hard work is appreciated for the brand.

Old 04-16-11, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seems a lot of it is to go elsewhere for higher pay.
So the world's largest (and presumably the most well-heeled) auto manufacturer is not paying their own execs enough? Much of the public feels that auto and some other corporate execs make too much as it is. (I have mixed-feelings on that myself, and feel that it is true in some cases, not in others)

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-11 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-16-11, 10:03 AM
LexFather

Mike Toyota/Lexus pay is much lower for executives than the competition, its part of the corporate culture to chase excellence and not pay.

Old 04-16-11, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mike Toyota/Lexus pay is much lower for executives than the competition, its part of the corporate culture to chase excellence and not pay.
Looks like Infiniti, though, may be chasing both. I wasn't necessarily saying, myself, that Toyota (and other auto) execs make too much......but that is a commonly-held view with the public, true or not.
Old 04-16-11, 11:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks like Infiniti, though, may be chasing both. I wasn't necessarily saying, myself, that Toyota (and other auto) execs make too much......but that is a commonly-held view with the public, true or not.
Well to their credit they got a very proven guy to work for them. Again compared to Acura, Infiniti at least seems to get some of the equation. I don't think they will ever be a first option but they are building up to be a different option for people ala a Volvo or Saab but with the backing of two powerhouses in Nissan and Renault.

On another note, while Mullany has done a great job pulling Ford out the dumps, he just got 25 million plus in salary plus 50 mill or so in stock options

Old 04-16-11, 11:48 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Honda is actually the same way too. I have met some of their executives from Japan and it is much more about team success and company growth than title or compensation. They are also highly accountable when the company struggles. Pretty admirable way of doing business for both Toyota and Honda.
Old 04-16-11, 11:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Honda is actually the same way too. I have met some of their executives from Japan and it is much more about team success and company growth than title or compensation. They are also highly accountable when the company struggles. Pretty admirable way of doing business for both Toyota and Honda.
Agreed about Honda execs.

Old 04-16-11, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't want to get too far off-topic, but I wonder who, among them, is accountable for some of the silly designs we've seen lately from Honda /Acura, and Acura's continuing refusal to get rid of the parrot-beak grilles despite both dealer and customer complaints?
Old 04-16-11, 12:16 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't want to get too far off-topic, but I wonder who, among them, is accountable for some of the silly designs we've seen lately from Honda /Acura, and Acura's continuing refusal to get rid of the parrot-beak grilles despite both dealer and customer complaints?
I couldn't answer that with a specific name, but I do know that they have a multitude of VP's that, while they all have specific departments and duties, work together to maintain the health of the brand. It isn't set up where one department works independently of all the other ones, like say Marketing and Design would be two different execs at GM that don't interact (just using an example).

Iirc, at the time, they had about 12 VP's that all worked together to ensure the success of all departments together. The President was more of a figurehead and is really hands on and operates on the same level as the VP's on a day to day basis.
Old 04-16-11, 12:27 PM
LexFather

Mike from my understanding the problem is Acura America and Honda Japan don't see eye to eye at all. Acura America is trying to say one thing but Honda Japan isn't really listening. So they got the worst combo ever. American styling (all new Acura's are designed in America for America) but the same Honda power. To make matters worse Honda Japan promised things to Acura America and we know now they basically gave them the middle finger and backed out.

This is Acura's lead designer

http://www.showrods.com/flat_out_pag...marek_bio.html

The ZDX was designed by a woman and we know its horrid. Funny but she recently left Acura and is hired by GM now.

http://allcarsallthetime.blogspot.co...ristensen.html

To matters even worse when the new designs were shown to Acura dealers they screamed loudly in unison "HELLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" but were given them anyway. They finally got the memo and this is why the worked hard to refresh the TL.

Old 04-16-11, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I couldn't answer that with a specific name,
I was just bringing it up to make a point....not really to get a name.

On the thread topic, it will be interesting to see how much impetus St.Clair will give to a possible Q45 replacement. There's been talk of one, but Infiniti, to my knowledge, has not yet unveiled one. Ever since the Q45 was dropped, there has been no direct LS competitior at Infiniti......though we all know that the Q never sold in the first-place, and that its demise was probably justifiable from a buisness perspective.

Quick Reply: Infiniti taps Lexus exec to lead global marketing