Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 07:21 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it will be about proportions. If the new GS has a handsome, even aggressive shape overall that looks good from any or most angles then I'll be pleased. I am not impressed with the teaser image of the front end. It looks too forced and angry, bordering on ugly. But I'm confident Lexus will hammer out the kinks and present us with a nice looking sedan.
Old 04-06-11, 07:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Grill mesh goes like X, similar on both cars...
Old 04-06-11, 07:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
For me it will be about proportions. If the new GS has a handsome, even aggressive shape overall that looks good from any or most angles then I'll be pleased. I am not impressed with the teaser image of the front end. It looks too forced and angry, bordering on ugly. But I'm confident Lexus will hammer out the kinks and present us with a nice looking sedan.
baby ls? i hope they go wild completely... nothing to lose!
Old 04-06-11, 07:41 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Love the LS but I think the GS needs to be more edgy.
Old 04-06-11, 09:14 AM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
+1 on going wild
Old 04-06-11, 04:28 PM
2008ES
Rookie

The only thing I have major trouble with is the gaping maw up front in the mode of Audi. The Lexus grille has always been one of the most stunning bits in their designs (I have a particular obsession with the 1GS grille), so it's worrisome that the front end may be evolving away from the basic configuration of grille-over-bumper. But I also see echoes of the LFA here and there, and I've had my fingers crossed that the LFA's design would have a tangible influence on future Lexus models. Really looking forward to seeing a side view and hoping that it strikes a unique balance of edgy and soft, reminiscent of past GS generations, keeping it the right distance away from the other models. Like others have discussed in this thread, one of the remarkable things about Lexus designers is that they don't fall for the same-shape-different-sizes philosophy for their lineup.

PS: And for those who didn't notice, the mesh on the front end is made up of little Lexus L's, similar to the mesh used on the LFA.

Mesh comparison

Last edited by 2008ES; 04-06-11 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added link to pic
Old 04-06-11, 05:01 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post USA 2day

From the looks of the few curves we can so far, it appears that Lexus designers are pouring some emotion into the hybrid concept that the brand has planned for the New York Auto Show.

Based on these details, we'll go ahead and predict that this 1, called the LF-Gh, is 1 of those concepts that Lexus plans to actually build as opposed to those intended as a design exercise just to get attention. Lexus says LF-Gh stands for Lexus Future Grand Touring Hybrid. Interesting to see how Lexus had yet another way to incorporate LED lights into the headlights in the photo at right.

In teasing its looks, Lexus says the goal is to try to make its roomy sedan "bolder, (a) more distinct projection of what a luxury car could become in a modern world. The result is the LF-Gh concept, which conveys original thoughts and ideas that may migrate to future Lexus vehicles on a global scale."

We'll all get to see the end result at the show, which the public can view from April 20 to May 1.

Old 04-06-11, 07:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008ES
The only thing I have major trouble with is the gaping maw up front in the mode of Audi. The Lexus grille has always been one of the most stunning bits in their designs (I have a particular obsession with the 1GS grille), so it's worrisome that the front end may be evolving away from the basic configuration of grille-over-bumper. But I also see echoes of the LFA here and there, and I've had my fingers crossed that the LFA's design would have a tangible influence on future Lexus models. Really looking forward to seeing a side view and hoping that it strikes a unique balance of edgy and soft, reminiscent of past GS generations, keeping it the right distance away from the other models. Like others have discussed in this thread, one of the remarkable things about Lexus designers is that they don't fall for the same-shape-different-sizes philosophy for their lineup.

PS: And for those who didn't notice, the mesh on the front end is made up of little Lexus L's, similar to the mesh used on the LFA.

Mesh comparison
Actually the design came from the ISF's front grille:

The rear grille work of the LFA resembles "L" from the Circle L logo:

Old 04-06-11, 08:18 PM
2008ES
Rookie

That last pic was the exact one I was looking for, thanks for posting it. Was in too much of a hurry to remember where it was.
Old 04-06-11, 11:03 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It actually looks pretty aggressive. Tone down the upper grill a little and introduce quod beams. It'll probably shape like the CTS-V but with sleaker sheet metal. I like.
Old 04-07-11, 09:30 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
It actually looks pretty aggressive. Tone down the upper grill a little and introduce quod beams. It'll probably shape like the CTS-V but with sleaker sheet metal. I like.
Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-8wwd7l.jpg

Is this what the Lexus "spindle grille" could look like? I'm not sure if I like it yet, but the LF-GH looks promising so far. I just hope that Lexus will finally release a car that is closer to their concept vision.
Old 04-07-11, 09:33 PM
LexFather

Welcome and nice find! New front end but the rear is all LS...

Old 04-07-11, 09:38 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! By the way, that is an artist render of the next gen LS from this blog.
Old 04-07-11, 09:49 PM
LexFather

Gotcha.......

Old 04-08-11, 01:41 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Love the direction but will be very interested in seeing the full integrated design and then how that translates to the production car. Big plus for me based on the Audi (which I love) and IS-F/LF-A design cues.

Fingers crossed though because I remember being excited for the 3GS and watching the launch in Detroit live over the internet and being immediately disappointed. Still like my 2GS more than the 3GS and I'm hoping Lexus can create a design to make me forget my 2GS.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)