Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 07:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

i could see it looking like that chop. that doesn't seem far from the concept to me.
it would certainly fit the product line but (or maybe therefore) would be kinda bland.
Old 04-26-11, 08:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't understand you guys fascination with this. Not this much. I can understand curiosity but this.....
Old 04-26-11, 09:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the 4GS is close in styling to the concept it will be a winner. The chops are just chops to me.
Old 04-26-11, 09:35 AM
LexFather

Short but good read

http://blogs.automobilemag.com/toyot...igh-10145.html

Toyota Chief Designer on the Lexus LF-Gh concept: ‘The degree of realism is very high’

Simon Humphries, a Brit who has been in Japan for 21 years, 17 of them with Toyota, is General Manager of Global Design, for both Toyota and Lexus. I spoke with him about the Lexus LF-Gh concept that debuted at the 2011 New York Auto Show.
On the general design theme:
“The LF-Gh was designed in [our Lexus studio in Japan]. The current state of the auto market is that everything is becoming complex and overstyled. With the LF-Gh, we wanted to make something that was fundamentally simple and strong.”

On the already-controversial grille:
“The lower aperture of the grille, we’ve found, is a much better place for air intake, much more efficient, than higher up. From the CT model onwards, the upper grille has lost its functionality. It’s now symbolism. This front face identity will definitely be carried forward into all vehicles, including the next LS.”

On the LF-Gh’s readiness for production:
“This car is a pure concept. Is it producible? Yes. We tried very hard to make sure the proportions and details [were ready for production]. Even our aerodynamic performance has been taken into consideration, and we’ve kept the rear roofline high enough for the rear headroom that’s required in a mid-size luxury sedan like the GS. The degree of realism is very high.”

Please describe the Lexus LF-Gh in three words:
“Bold. Simple. Dynamic. If I’m allowed a fourth word, I’d add intriguing. Some of the elements are very artistic.”

Old 04-26-11, 10:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, nice how the chief designer addresses the key styling points of the concept. And no wonder the design was not radical. The issue of rear head room was addressed well when compared to how Porsche designed/redesigned roofline of Pano.
Old 04-26-11, 10:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wow, nice how the chief designer addresses the key styling points of the concept. And no wonder the design was not radical. The issue of rear head room was addressed well when compared to how Porsche designed/redesigned roofline of Pano.
Yeah, I'm curious how this face will turn out. I think a lot of us ( I know I have) have complained about the over detailing of so many cars today with lines everywhere, arches everywhere etc etc....seems this GS is purposely going against that grain, so it should age well.

Still waiting on the final face

Old 04-26-11, 11:44 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Short but good read
The LF-Gh is simplistic, minimalist except the bold grill. There is lots of function with a large grill as it allows much air into the engine compartment. Maybe Lexus will put the large grill on the GS F and keep the rest of the GS line toned down...can't wait for the L.A. Auto show as I'm already there...
Old 04-26-11, 11:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good read . Very great to hear his comments on how the industry is releasing too many overstyled products (which won't age well), and that they are going against the grain. Also interesting comments about how the upper grille will lose functionality and be there more for symbolism and styling.

That means we could possibly see production designs with front ends similar to the LFA or 1SC, with possibly no upper grilles or body-colored upper grilles. Having grille intake only occur at the lower part of the front end seems like a good way to reduce front end lift.
Old 04-26-11, 12:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Short but good read
wow, they should have just published that guy's comments instead of all the gobbledygook in the p.r. puff piece.
Old 04-26-11, 12:28 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
That photoshop makes the next GS almost passable as the next Camry. I seriously hope the next GS will not end up like that.

haha. that was my thought too.

as i stared at the rear with my finger over the logo, I also thought of the acura TSX

Old 04-26-11, 12:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyota Chief Designer
http://blogs.automobilemag.com/toyot...igh-10145.html

Toyota Chief Designer on the Lexus LF-Gh concept: ‘The degree of realism is very high’

On the already-controversial grille:
“The lower aperture of the grille, we’ve found, is a much better place for air intake, much more efficient, than higher up. From the CT model onwards, the upper grille has lost its functionality. It’s now symbolism. This front face identity will definitely be carried forward into all vehicles, including the next LS.”

a ha! Contrary to what TRDfantasy said before, I knew i wasn't hearing voices and misinterpreting what Mark Templin said during the Gh reveal.

the gaping grille WILL come to a lexus near you.

what i don't understand is why they would even consider plugging the upper grille. The current cars have BOTH upper and lower grilles for air intake, so why would they cut half of that.........

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-26-11 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 12:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack

what i don't understand is why they would even consider plugging the upper grille. The current cars have BOTH upper and lower grilles for air intake, so why would they cut half of that.........
IMO, aerodynamics will drive the ultimate decision to plug upper grill. Visually the upper grill stays for traditional style (and symbolism) associated with a front-engine, rwd sports sedan.
Old 04-26-11, 12:59 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

plugging the grill may offer improved MPG
Old 04-26-11, 01:03 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO, aerodynamics will drive the ultimate decision to plug upper grill. Visually the upper grill stays for traditional style (and symbolism) associated with a front-engine, rwd sports sedan.
Don't forget about the new pedestrian bumper safety regulations as well.
Old 04-26-11, 01:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Don't forget about the new pedestrian bumper safety regulations as well.
Good point, a universal front end for all the major markets makes sense.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)