Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buicks REALLY outselling Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 12:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Well they've always been Pontiac/Buick/GMC combos. Now with Pontiac gone, I assume most dealers have remained Buick/GMC.
Most around here are now Caddy/Buick/GMC.
Old 03-19-11, 03:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

If IS, ES and GS were between 27k and 29k, and had 0% financing together with $2k-$4k cashback, I bet Lexus would tripple their sales too :-).

To put things into perspective, Camry alone sells more than any other luxury brand in the USA, and Camry prices are a lot closer to Buick than to Lexus.
Old 03-19-11, 03:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The first couple of years the current gen ES350 was on the market ('07 & '08) it was seeing monthly sales similar to the LaCrosse. That was with just one model vs. FWD, AWD and 2 or 3 engine options.

The LaCrosse and Regal will settle into their niche in the market after a while.

It does seem like Buick is on the right track with desireable cars.
Old 03-21-11, 11:48 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) The new smaller Buicks are based on Opel design (I think) so the zip and driveability is pretty than it used to be
2) Buick has at least two loyal customer groups--aspiring Chinese in China shopping for lux/nearlux brands and rich people in the midwest who don't want the flash or foreign brand associations. My mom lives in a city in MN where the rich doctors drove Buicks for the longest time when they could easily afford much more
Old 03-21-11, 01:05 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I wouldn't consider Buick to be in the same category as Lexus. They're more on the level of Acura or Mercury, with Lexus being with BMW, Audi, Cadillac, and Mercedes.

That's good to see Buick doing well. They make nice cars at cheap prices.
Old 03-22-11, 10:01 PM
cl400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
If IS, ES and GS were between 27k and 29k, and had 0% financing together with $2k-$4k cashback, I bet Lexus would tripple their sales too :-).

To put things into perspective, Camry alone sells more than any other luxury brand in the USA, and Camry prices are a lot closer to Buick than to Lexus.

average transaction $

Lexus - 42k
Buick - 38.5k

you fail
Old 04-05-11, 10:22 PM
LexFather

Its funny to see all the hype when a Lexus or Toyota or the brand(s) lose once. Its giant news all over here. Sadly their consistency is rarely praised.

Lexus sold 20k last month and there is no article saying "well Buick needs a lot of work".

Ridiculous.

Old 04-05-11, 10:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
How can Buick, with no freestanding dealerships and only 4 models, be outselling Lexus? HUH????????
Thank GM Fleet sales for that. You can easily rent any kind of Buick at Hertz, Enterprise, Avis, National...etc.
Old 04-06-11, 03:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Thank GM Fleet sales for that. You can easily rent any kind of Buick at Hertz, Enterprise, Avis, National...etc.
yeah, it seems that >30% of their sales were fleet in past few months.

Although I like these new Buicks/Opels. My friend has Insignia, and while it is not Lexus, it is also not Toyota either... very good car, if too complicated as in typical GM fashion.
Old 04-06-11, 03:35 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeeze, i didn't even know they were still making Buicks. Haha i doubt they are outselling Lexus. Lexus is a well known brand as for Buick
Old 04-06-11, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Jeeze, i didn't even know they were still making Buicks.
Yep, unlike the other dead GM divisions at Olds, Pontiac, Hummer, and Saturn, Buick survived.....and for good reason.
Old 04-06-11, 09:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Buick is alive and well, fleet sales are still a huge portion of volume too. Saturn, Olds, Hummer, Mercury, Pontiac are all dead after wasting tens of billlions of dollars in last decade.
Old 04-06-11, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes Buick is alive and well, fleet sales are still a huge portion of volume too. Saturn, Olds, Hummer, Mercury, Pontiac are all dead after wasting tens of billlions of dollars in last decade.

Well, correct me if I am wrong or misinterpreted your earlier posts, but my impression is that you feel that Buick, like the Cadillac DTS, also wasted a lot of money building dated, smooth-riding slush-mobiles for Grandpa and Grandma when they, in your view, should have been building today's LaCrosse and Regal years ago.
Old 04-06-11, 09:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, correct me if I am wrong or misinterpreted your earlier posts, but my impression is that you feel that Buick, like the Cadillac DTS, also wasted a lot of money building dated, smooth-riding slush-mobiles for Grandpa and Grandma when they, in your view, should have been building today's LaCrosse and Regal years ago.
I wouldn't read that much gibberish into my post. Buick's US product line was simply crap previously (and they had the audited results/huge losses to prove how poor the business was), even leaving Grandpa and Grandma out of the picture. It's pretty obvious GM/Buick should have taken corrective action before losing tens of billions, before going into bankruptcy, before taking money from US government.

I see nothing wrong with Buick making competitive, modern, stylish, driveable, profitable cars for more than just buyers with one foot in the grave.
Old 04-06-11, 10:24 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I do see differences in Lexus vs. Buick (other than the similarities and the very good value from a purchase price standpoint that Buick offers).

. Lexus offers a more complete range of lux RWD/FWD/AWD cars/SUVs (crossovers and BOF)
. Lexus base models are better equipped, as expected in tier 1 premium car
. Lexus dependability and reliability is better than Buick (Buick is below average to average for popular models)
. Lexus resale value is considerably higher (an important cost factor in ownership cost).

None of the above diminishes what Buick has accomplished over last few years with improved product offerings.
Few point for buying Buick:
-they compare their model to Lexus, making an impression that they are same class
-their similarity Opel, people like european
-most people lease them, resale value does not apply
-its a 2~3 year lease, who care if it will last
-their felixable nego price vs firm Lexus price(one thing I don't like)

I always buy used car & I only buy Japanese. More specific, the models builds in Japan, Made-in-USA seem to have more problem)

Last edited by grabber2; 04-06-11 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Buicks REALLY outselling Lexus?