Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealing with people who slam their door into your car in parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 02:05 PM
needis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I parked at the far end of Fry's electronic and came out to see a shopping cart parked right next to the door. I was so pissed, $120 for paintless dent removal service got it back to normal. I not mad at people who make a mistake and say sorry (I've done it to someone car and they just said not to worry about it), but the ones who ding my car and give the attitude like they don't care. I'll let out the air in the tires, but I like the idea of valve stem being removed.
Old 03-02-11, 02:36 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

this happened to me three times!
1st time: guy opens up the cab door and it slams my rear right below the left tail light! i was pissed, got out and confronted him. it was night time and it was raining. he apologized and said theres no damage but as i looked closer, i found the in dent on my car. we exchanged numbers and somewhere down the line, i asked for $100... dont think it was enough... shudve asked for $150. never got it fixed but he did pay up.
2nd time: man opens his rear door. he doesnt hit my car at first. hes goin thru his rear seats doin whatever and his back pushes against the door which then hits my rear door. i get out and i see the damage and let him know what was really good. he apologized and i just told him to be more careful. there was a scratch left.
3rd time: windy day... some dumb b*tch is on her phone and opens her door and lets the wind just push her door even further and the door slams into my car. i didnt even acknowledge her.... i think she knew she hit my door but never wanted to acknowledge me neither. i just gave her the stare down... she was just stupid. she seemed so careless and unaware for anything...

This stuff happens all the time. i care when this stuff happens but if the person who does the damage apologizes or looks sorry, i let it go. after the 3rd and final time this happened to my lexus, i just let it go cuz i was returning the lease soon enough so i said why bother. all the cars that hit me werent luxury cars or new cars. i figured im lucky to own a lexus and these people may not be as fortunate as me. who knows, oh wells. karma happens anyways. my mother always says, stay humble and i believe in always counting your blessings. for the small dents, let it go. for the big ones (dents, huge scratches, etc.) they need to be acknowledged and the person needs to pay up for the damage. fortunately for me, i havent had this happen to me while having to deal with someone nasty but if it did, i think id remove their valve stem cover and take my tire pressure gauge and lower their tire pressure gauge SEVERELY.
Old 03-03-11, 03:01 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I was in my car when it happened to me. I am glad it was before I had it painted. This pair of marms with some guy parked next to me in a 94ish 320E Benz and the marm driving opened her door into my car so hard it shook the car. I got out and asked, "would it kill you to be more careful?" to which she responded, "it's just a car." I asked if I could open my door and put a nice ding in her car and she said no. I asked, "why not? It's just a car." The two marms and the random dude slothed toward Chili's and I said, "have a nice lunch" and laughed at them while looking at the Benz. The driver marm said, "what are you going to do to my car?" and I said, "I haven't decided yet." They slothed back to the car, got in, and left. No second door ding either.
Old 03-03-11, 03:09 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if i was in the car and it happened, i would confront them and if they were a douche about it then my breaker bar would return a nice fat favor to their door.
Old 03-04-11, 10:28 AM
piclistguy
Driver School Candidate

I like the idea of using a valve stem tool.
I found a cheap one on Amazon. Do you still thread it on and pull or is there much more involved to it. Also does it make a big pop and explosion when removed?
http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S445-Va...9262210&sr=8-1

Thanks

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Happened with one of my Vettes at a shopping mall a few years ago and I always park far away to avoid other cars, but 2 young people in a econo box managed to find me out by myself and parked right next to me. A guy driving and a girl in the passenger side, she opened the door and smacked my car and just smiled and said oops, and they walked away giggling, well and I had already purchased a valve stem remover on the recommendation from a vette club member, so after they left I got out check the side of my car found a little nick, then knelt down and removed one of their stems.

It is a inexpensive repair but a valuable lesson for stupid people.

Valve stem removers can be purchased at auto parts bicycle shops and many other locations.
Old 03-04-11, 12:54 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by piclistguy
Also does it make a big pop and explosion when removed?

Thanks
no. it just lets air out really fast
Old 03-04-11, 12:54 PM
ntATL
Driver School Candidate

Or you can park like this...
Attached Thumbnails Dealing with people who slam their door into your car in parking lot-idiot.jpg  
Old 03-04-11, 12:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or get a SUV for extra vehicle to be used for parking in dangerous lots (like supermarket), it works for me.
Old 03-04-11, 04:07 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ntATL

that's just asking to get dinged. multiple times.

oops.

oops oops oops
Old 03-04-11, 04:14 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
no. it just lets air out really fast
sharp ear piercing sound too.
Old 03-06-11, 09:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

it happened in a dealer loaner car to me and I made a comment and the lady made a comment like "dont worry about it, its just a car". I laughed it off but if it was my car I would have called the cops
Old 03-07-11, 01:17 AM
Cru
Driver School Candidate

I've never gotten a door ding. I always park at the very back of a lot. And I also pick the corner spot in that "back lot" just incase someone decides to park far as well.

If i'm unable to park far away, I wait until a corner spot frees up and park all the way at the edge.
Old 03-07-11, 07:18 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ntATL
dont get mad when ppl retaliate against ur parking skills. I'm guilty on retaliation.

Me and a buddy have done this a couple times to a car but we parked closed enough to block entry to the car