IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Spree of having a ding-less door comes to an end :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-12, 02:15 PM
yammy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spree of having a ding-less door comes to an end :(

After seeing what has happened to my parents and sisters car, I became very cautious about where I park to avoid door dings, scratches or anything like that. I have owned my car for almost exactly a year without any dings..but sadly...it comes to an end. Was about to head out to Tahoe but happened to spot a ding towards the back of my car. Such a sad thing to see How do you guys deal/handle/react to door dings?
Old 12-24-12, 02:36 PM
saxqtzk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate it! I usually park my car(s) away from everyone else, but other cars always seem to find me even though there's like 20 spaces closer to the stores I frequent.

I just deal with it even though I know it's there...
Old 12-24-12, 02:37 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

the first one is the most painful. if its small you might be able to have a paint less dent repair done on it. I have 2 or 3 i need to have done as well just haven't had time.
Old 12-24-12, 03:10 PM
Tapangb
Driver

It bothers the hell out of me. I also try to park away from others but you just can't seem to avoid careless people who like to fling their doors wide open every time they exit their vehicle. My first ding was on the driver side front fender right above the wheel. I got over it and have acquired a few dings and scratches since then. I plan on getting it all touched up and fixed at one time.
Old 12-24-12, 06:29 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I've been really lucky. I've had my IS for more than two years and I park in the tightest spots and the closest ones to the entrances cause I'm lazy but have never gotten a ding or a scratch.

Try seeing if paint-less dent repair can fix it, usually it's under $100. My friend dinged my door opening it too fast but the ding was hard to repair and I was quoted $600 to fix and repair the door panel. I just decided to leave it and live with it.
Old 12-24-12, 06:31 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

leave a dent in the dudes car that inflicted the ding on me

no honestly i just try to park as far as possible from people. i have so many dings (have an older GS) and just learned to accept it. some things aren't worth it to fix. i cant justify paying around 500 bucks for a small little ding that might happen again. rather just buy some more parts for the car.

when i see it happen, i flip out and get the other persons insurance, DL #, etc. but some people just dont understand (either dont care or think im over exaggerating) it can get pretty intense.
Old 12-24-12, 06:31 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So far so good for me. Ive had my car for 4.5 years. *knock on wood*
Old 12-24-12, 06:39 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Yesterday at walgreens I parked far away and damned as I was walking to my car there was an SUV parked close next to me, so as I was walking to my car I looked at my passenger side and I see the lady getting out of her car and her door is about 2 inches away from my door, so I dropped my bag and sprinted to her door, barely diving to get my fingers to the edge of her door between the side of my car before it could hit my car. I helped her exit the car, while I closed her own door for her. The lady almost freaked out lol. I don't care if I make a fool out of myself. Once you get a dent, it is never the same. It is a little bit of my fault, I parked far but parked with my tire on the white line since I figured no one would parked that far next to me. The lady laughed at me and I apologized but she totally understood lol
Old 12-24-12, 07:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I usually park near other nice cars. Every time I would park near some piece of junk I would end up with a dent or a ding. Parking far away helps but some beat up Civic or SUV always pulls up two inches from my car.
Old 12-24-12, 07:25 PM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

I had to go to Walmart today and I parked all the way in the back of the parking lot 10 spaces away from the nearest car. I come outside and there's somebody parking next to me as I'm walking towards my car... So I set off the car alarm and just waited for a sec. They must of thought they set it off or something because they drove through and went up the other aisle. Lol.
That's unfortunate though man, try and find a good paintless dent removal place and they might be able to just pull it out for you if it's not in a bad place.
Old 12-25-12, 11:50 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paintless dent removal works wonders.

Check out your local "Dent Pro" They do wonderful work.

Best $80 I ever spent!

Last edited by jgbackes; 12-25-12 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 12-26-12, 06:26 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I always park far away from other cars but it happens. I just learned to live with it
Old 12-26-12, 08:01 AM
andcas7
Driver

I caught a woman getting out of the passenger side of an SUV in front of a Walgreens as her door hit my driver's side mirror. This was as I was walking back to my car, the lady noticed that I was looking at her as she did this and asked "Is this your car?, I'm sorry I barely touched it, I apologize" luckily it didn't do any visible damage or anything to whine about, so I didn't say a word back while I checked and let it go.

Now I avoid parking in front of any business as much as possible, unless I have a passenger to look after the car if I'm only stepping away for a few minutes. So far, 8 months and no dings! Crossing fingers...
Old 12-26-12, 08:12 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel your pain. The first one, after a long time without one, does hurt. This time around for me, I dinged my rear bumper moving an exhaust around, after not having it for more than a couple of months, so I broke it in early and I got really mad at myself.
Old 12-26-12, 11:00 AM
yammy
Driver

Originally Posted by jgbackes
Paintless dent removal works wonders.

Check out your local "Dent Pro" They do wonderful work.

Best $80 I ever spent!
Thanks! I'll keep it in mind. I'll wait till I get more dings around my car. Mine looks more like clear coat distortion so I should be lucky it isn't so bad.