Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lotus beefs up the Evora

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 08:55 AM
LexFather

Post Lotus beefs up the Evora

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=255267

Lotus is working at top speed on this revised Evora, designed to stimulate sluggish sales and bridge the styling gap between the current car and the new wave of Lotus models due to hit the market from 2013.

The most striking feature of the revised Evora — shown here in this grainy leaked image and believed to be heading for launch late this year as a 2012 model — is its much more aggressive radiator ‘mouth’. It is very reminiscent of the treatment already designed for later models by Lotus’s ex-Ferrari design boss, Donato Coco.

Coco believes the present Evora’s traditional Lotus mouth is “too weak” for a modern performance car. “Even many economy cars look more aggressive,” he says. The new treatment has a long heritage, too, he says, appearing first on the Lotus 18 single-seater at the beginning of the 1960s.

The 2012 Evora is believed also to have a revised interior with a higher level of standard equipment and a greater accent on quality, points of criticism with road testers and owners.

The Evora, which starts at £51,030 for the 276bhp two-seat version, suffered very sluggish sales to start with, but things have improved a little with the launch late last year of the £60,000, 345bhp Evora S, which uses a supercharged version of the standard car’s 276bhp Toyota-derived V6.

Lotus bosses are understood to be on the point of deciding whether they can afford to build a range of own-design V6 and V8 modular engines for future products, following uncertain reactions to the proposed use of Toyota engines in upmarket Lotus models.

“We have designed engines for clients,” said Lotus CEO Dany Bahar, “so why not for ourselves?” He admits, however, that the final decision will be all a matter of money.

Old 02-04-11, 09:17 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks and sounds good to me!
Old 02-04-11, 11:41 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait for the IPS version for people like me, that do not drive stick
Old 02-04-11, 01:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Really looks like an exotic.
Old 02-04-11, 02:02 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Can't wait to see the revised interior. That has seemed to be the biggest complaint among reviewers, owners, and prospective buyers. I really like the Evora and considered it as a daily driver, but the lack of attention to interior details such as ergonomics, fit and finish, etc. make it unattractive.

Either that or Lexus needs to hurry up and make its own version of the Evora. I'll be first in line.

Lotus bosses are understood to be on the point of deciding whether they can afford to build a range of own-design V6 and V8 modular engines for future products, following uncertain reactions to the proposed use of Toyota engines in upmarket Lotus models.
Funny that, given Toyota has powered the staple Elise for nearly a decade...
Old 02-04-11, 02:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
Can't wait to see the revised interior. That has seemed to be the biggest complaint among reviewers, owners, and prospective buyers. I really like the Evora and considered it as a daily driver, but the lack of attention to interior details such as ergonomics, fit and finish, etc. make it unattractive.

Either that or Lexus needs to hurry up and make its own version of the Evora. I'll be first in line...
I actually really like the interior. The new Porsche interiors while well done look too similar (911/Boxster/Cayman) and are very staid. I can't speak on ergonomics though.'

Old 02-04-11, 03:02 PM
mclovintsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Nice car o.o
Old 02-04-11, 03:38 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

The Evora interior looks nice until you actually sit in it. You really can't read ANY of the buttons, and while everything is lined with leather, it feels like they wrapped the leather over cardboard, it just feels cheap.
Old 02-04-11, 08:48 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cool, I didn't know it had a back seat. This can be my daily driver now. I used to daily drive an NSX for about a year and it was great. Sometimes though I had to take the car because I just needed the back seat. Now this can be a single car for the most part.

Although the throw on the shifter looks awfully long.
Old 02-04-11, 10:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Awesome car!!
Old 02-06-11, 07:18 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Hmmmm 276hp and 0-60 in 4.9sec seems pretty solid to me, except when they price it in Porsche territory (or higher) with shoddy interior to boot. The Evora S should have been the entry point.
Old 05-15-11, 08:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Saw this while looking up music. Wondered if this is the updated Evora. If so good job.

Old 05-15-11, 10:03 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
The Evora interior looks nice until you actually sit in it. You really can't read ANY of the buttons, and while everything is lined with leather, it feels like they wrapped the leather over cardboard, it just feels cheap.
This.

I think the Evora looks much better in pictures than it does in person. It's nice, but it just seems to be missing something. Driving one might change my opinion I guess.
Old 05-15-11, 11:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think its great that they use Toyota engines. I would have assumed they would have used the 300+hp version of the 3.5 liter Toyota V6 (like the IS350)