Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Officially Official: Mazda Minagi Concept headed to Geneva

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 10:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Officially Official: Mazda Minagi Concept headed to Geneva

Officially Official: Mazda Minagi Concept headed to Geneva

Mazda has dropped the official details on the company's Minagi Concept. The sleek CUV is intended to give us all a little taste of exactly where Mazda's design is headed in the near future as well as show off the company's new Skyactiv drivetrain technologies. Mazda isn't telling us exactly what's under that sculpted hood other than to say that the Minagi gets its power from a Skyactiv engine and puts it to the ground via a Skyactiv transmission. In addition to those fuel-saving components, Mazda claims that the Minagi also uses a host of weight-saving tricks to boost fuel economy.

The concept wears the new Mazda design theme called Kodo, or soul of motion. From what we can see from the renderings, the look is a full galaxy ahead of the all smiles design the Japanese automaker is currently employing. We'll be interested to see how the lines translate to the real world when the concept shows up at this year's Geneva Motor Show in March.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mazda...ept-1/#3797617

Mazda MINAGI Concept to Showcase Mazda's All-new SKYACTIV Technologies and KODO Design at the Geneva Motor Show

HIROSHIMA, Japan-Mazda Motor Corporation will showcase the world premiere of its new MINAGI compact crossover SUV concept car during the press days of the 2011 Geneva motor show, which is being held from March 1-13, 2011. The Mazda MINAGI concept fully embraces Mazda's new SKYACTIV technologies and its new design theme, KODO – Soul of Motion. The exciting MINAGI concept is the forerunner to the launch of Mazda's upcoming next-generation products and symbolizes the evolution of the Mazda brand as it begins a new era.

Mazda MINAGI

The Mazda MINAGI is a compact crossover SUV concept that combines Mazda's SKYACTIV technologies - which represent the harmony between driving pleasure and outstanding environmental and safety performance - with emotional KODO design that communicates pent up energy bursting with vitality as the vehicle nimbly navigates a sprawling urban cityscape. Fully introducing SKYACTIV technologies throughout, MINAGI is equipped with a SKYACTIV engine and SKYACTIV transmission fitted to a SKYACTIV-Body and chassis that merge comprehensive weight reduction with the assurance of ample safety features.

Mazda's stand at the Geneva show will also feature new SKYACTIV technology exhibits and the
Mazda SHINARI design concept car, among a wide range of products.

Officially titled the 81e Salon International de l'Auto de Genève, the show's press days are March
1 and 2, and the public days are March 3-13, 2011. Mazda will hold a press conference on Tuesday, March 1.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/18/o...ded-to-geneva/

reminds me of an Infiniti FX/Volvo XC60 love child lol
Old 01-19-11, 06:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overall shape looks nice in the sketch.
Old 01-19-11, 07:57 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume this is a replacement for the much needed to be updated Mazda Tribute, if so looks pretty good so far, hopefully the real one won't have that huge grin Mazda's been slapping on their cars.
Old 01-19-11, 11:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

This and the new 2012 Ford Escape look promising in this compact class of crossover. I personally am watching for news on the Escape replacement.
Old 01-20-11, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I assume this is a replacement for the much needed to be updated Mazda Tribute, if so looks pretty good so far, hopefully the real one won't have that huge grin Mazda's been slapping on their cars.
I, for one, happen to like the Tribute's looks/styling, which shared with the Ford Escape.........though the Acura-like grille could be improved. It is nice, conservative, and handsome....something that, IMO, both the CX-7 and CX-9 lack in the styling department. The CX-7 has also been worse-than-average in reliability, according to Consumer Reports. I agree, though, that the big Mazda clown-grins up front are silly....the most glaring example is probably on the Mazda3.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-11 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-20-11, 06:29 PM
LexFather

I am attempting to care

Old 01-20-11, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am attempting to care
Agreed........the article should really tell us more than it does about the car's mechanicals. Simply describing everything as "Skyactiv", in my book, doesn't cut it.
Old 01-20-11, 06:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like FX35
Old 01-20-11, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Looks like FX35
Yes, to some extent, but the fenders don't bulge quite as much.
Old 01-20-11, 08:21 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I, unlike mmarshall, happen to like the styling of the CX-7 and CX-9. That's what's great about having so many options as car enthusiasts. Different strokes....as they say....

My friend has the CX-7 and drives quite a bit. She's been very happy with the car and hasn't had any issues with it, other than a faulty gas cap. Apparently the engineers at Mazda can't seem to make a reliable gas cap. I've had the one on my RX-8 changed 3 times.

I don't think Mazda needs to go any smaller than the CX-7. If people wanted something smaller, they've got it covered with the Mazda3 wagon.