Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru releases 2013 Legacy, Outback details ahead of New York debuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 09:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Subaru releases 2013 Legacy, Outback details ahead of New York debuts

Subaru releases 2013 Legacy, Outback details ahead of New York debuts

Subaru has a lot riding on the 2012 New York Auto Show. In addition to the XV Crosstrek, the Japanese automaker will show off its new 2013 Legacy and Outback models, and these aren't exactly minor updates.

Under the hood of 2.5i models will be a brand-new 2.5-liter DOHC boxer four that puts out 173 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque – improvements of three and four, respectively. Furthermore, the 2013 Legacy's new engine and the latest version of Subaru's CVT automatic gearbox achieve estimated fuel economy ratings of 24 miles per gallon city, 32 highway and 27 combined. That's one mile per gallon better across the board, and a six-speed manual will also be available.

The Outback, which boasts 8.7 inches of ground clearance, will manage an estimated 24/30/26 mpg with the same drivetrain. Both models will be available with an optional 3.6-liter flat-six engine mated to a five-speed automatic that offers up 256 horsepower. All-wheel drive is, of course, standard.

Subaru's new EyeSight driver-assist system, which integrates Adaptive Cruise Control, Pre-Collision Braking and Vehicle Lane Departure Warning, will debut on the 2013 Legacy and Outback, and you can read plenty more about this technology here. Bluetooth connectivity is also new, along with iPod controls and a USB port. A seven-inch navigation screen will be optional on top-end models.

Styling is tweaked a bit, with a new front fascia standing out as the most obvious change, and Subaru claims that the ride and handling have been improved thanks to a stiffer structure and revised suspension geometry.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/29/s...of-new-york-d/
Old 03-29-12, 09:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

IMO, the changes they needed to make the most on the 2013 Legacy/Outback were; First, to dump the worthless vaccum-gauge and put back the engine-temperature gauge (Asian-market models currently DO get the temp-gauge there); Second, to dump the CVT on the 4-cylinder and put in a conventional 5 or 6-speed automatic instead of the old 4-speed (only the 3.6L H-6 gets the 6-speed auto); and, Third, to put the real spare tire and body-side-mouldings back in standard like they were years ago. I don't see much, if any evdence, that they have done any of that for 2013.

(The Turbo Legacy GT also needs an automatic option. Currently it only comes with a 6MT, but we'll have to wait and see what Subaru does there...the article doesn't say.)

The wide black-cladding on the Outback's lower-body seems to have been narrowed down some. A shame.....I liked that wide color-contrast, for a two-tone effect.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-12 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-29-12, 12:54 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front looks cooler.
Old 03-30-12, 01:21 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, the changes they needed to make the most on the 2013 Legacy/Outback were; First, to dump the worthless vaccum-gauge and put back the engine-temperature gauge (Asian-market models currently DO get the temp-gauge there); Second, to dump the CVT on the 4-cylinder and put in a conventional 5 or 6-speed automatic instead of the old 4-speed (only the 3.6L H-6 gets the 6-speed auto); and, Third, to put the real spare tire and body-side-mouldings back in standard like they were years ago. I don't see much, if any evdence, that they have done any of that for 2013.

(The Turbo Legacy GT also needs an automatic option. Currently it only comes with a 6MT, but we'll have to wait and see what Subaru does there...the article doesn't say.)

The wide black-cladding on the Outback's lower-body seems to have been narrowed down some. A shame.....I liked that wide color-contrast, for a two-tone effect.
Why do you feel like they need to dump the CVT in the 4 cylinder? All of my customers loved their CVT, both on their legacies and outback, and even I, while I had my Legacy for 6 months, loved it, from the awsome mileage on the highway to the superb acceleration (from a 4cylinder in such big AWD cars mind you). Also, at least in the canadian market you had the spare tire as standar, not a true real tire, but one that you could go and safely drive on when you needed it and actually still have lots of space in the trunk when you didn't need the spare.
Old 03-30-12, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
Why do you feel like they need to dump the CVT in the 4 cylinder? All of my customers loved their CVT, both on their legacies and outback, and even I, while I had my Legacy for 6 months, loved it, from the awsome mileage on the highway to the superb acceleration (from a 4cylinder in such big AWD cars mind you).
I've driven the H4-CVT. It's not the worst CVT on the market (that, IMO, arguably belongs to the one in the Scion iQ). But I'm not convinced that the CVT, even with its hardened-metal drive-sprocket, will have the long-term durability of conventional Subaru transmissions, which are well-above-average in reliability.

Anyhow, we'll see.

Also, at least in the canadian market you had the spare tire as standar, not a true real tire, but one that you could go and safely drive on when you needed it and actually still have lots of space in the trunk when you didn't need the spare.
U.S.-market Subarus get a temporary spare and, in most non-turbo versions, lack the engine-temperature gauge that goes into some other markets (and like in all of the pre-2010 Outbacks). Here, instead of a useful temp-gauge, they use the idiotic vaccum/MPG-needle that, IMO, does nothing but waste dash-space.......that MPG-info is already shown in the digital trip-computer.
Old 03-30-12, 01:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Temp gauge is very important to have, this would be a deal breaker to some.
Old 03-30-12, 01:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The front of this car would look so much better if the botox headlights were half the size and lost their ostentatious wings.
Old 03-30-12, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Temp gauge is very important to have, this would be a deal breaker to some.
Agreed it is important.....I'm not sure about it being a deal-breaker, though.

Anyway, here's the old, pre-2010 cluster, with the temp-gauge on the lower-left.

And here's the 2010-2012 U.S.-market cluster, with the MPG-needle in the same spot.

Engine-temperature is now idiot-lights instead.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-12 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-31-12, 11:21 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Temp gauge is very important, especially here in Vegas with 110 degree heat in the summer. I always watch my temp gauge to make sure the car is not overheating.
Old 03-31-12, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Temp gauge is very important, especially here in Vegas with 110 degree heat in the summer. I always watch my temp gauge to make sure the car is not overheating.
is it really? since todays cars are basically made so temp gauge is always in the middle, so what is the big deal then? if it moves, you will get the light, same thing.
Old 03-31-12, 05:38 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Suburu is on a roll.

I actually do check temp gauges in any vehicle I drive.
Old 03-31-12, 06:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Both models will be available with an optional 3.6-liter flat-six engine mated to a five-speed automatic that offers up 256 horsepower.
Compared to other competitors, the 3.6 seems to give up 20 ponies to most other 6's in its class. Also still surprised to see a 5-speed auto
Old 04-01-12, 09:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

horrible hdr processing on photo. makes the busy front end design look even busier. it's still a good car though!
Old 04-01-12, 07:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supposedly the turbo four has been cancelled. Perhaps it will come back after the DI 2.0L Turbo debuts in the WRX.
Old 04-02-12, 12:39 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Supposedly the turbo four has been cancelled. Perhaps it will come back after the DI 2.0L Turbo debuts in the WRX.
speaking of the WRX....any news???

besides photoshops that is...