Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's biggest problem: Aging lineup

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 08:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Camry has a boring exterior and interior.
However,a loaded XLE and SE look much better than the LE and I feel a loaded Hybrid looks even better with it's different front end design,tail lights and wheels.
Old 01-11-11, 09:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rolexus600
Agreed. My family had a 2002 Camry up until 2009. I used to rent the side apartment of my parents house and would occasionally take their car if it was blocking mine in the driveway (especially at night).

There was definitely a time where I took that car for granted but the luxury-car smooth ride was so welcome over the potholes where I lived. For a 4 cyl., that engine was surprisingly refined too. I would definitely consider one in the future.

Michael
Good point about the 4 cylinder smoothness and refinement, very few 4 cylinder engines in any car match the Camry 4 banger in NVH.
Old 01-11-11, 09:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
honestly, now "old" camry looks a lot better than our Euro Avensis to my Euro eyes - I only saw it few times but it has some interesting lines. Of course, interior is too simple for Europe.
the camry interior is too simple for Europe while the ugly/plain/cold interior of the 3 series is ok to them???
Old 01-11-11, 10:40 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that the Avalon was just "redesigned" so God only knows how long we will be looking at a car that essentially debuted in 2005. We heard all sorts of criticism about the Corolla being delayed because it was "too bland" in comparison to the Civic, and yet when the car debuted, you had to squint to see the differences between it an the 2003 model. Camry is one that is very attractive IMO. I'd say it's the best looking car in it's class overall.

Rav4 is about to be redesigned, Highlander was refreshed and looks great, 4Runner is brand new, Sequoia needs a new look, LC is only 2 years old and just like the Corolla, takes a trained eye to see the differences between it and the previous model.

Tacoma is about to be redesigned and the Tundra isn't far either. Sienna is brand new.

All that said, I think people are actually caring less about design and more about things like MPG, technology, gadgets, innovation and goodies. Not to say that design doesn't matter, but Toyota has fallen behind in terms of engineering prowess. The lackluster AZ engine and 4AT aren't winning them any kudos from entry level buyers, especially when the competition is using 6ATs or CVTs. Highlander still uses a 5AT as does the brand new 4Runner, etc. etc.

My point is that while design is one area where they need improvement, there are still plenty of others.
Old 01-11-11, 11:06 AM
LexFather

^^^ To your point I think a lot of it has to do with the competition waking the **** up. It used to be Toyota or Honda is the best in each class with Nissan in there here and there. Today Ford, GM, Hyundai, Kia are now best in class in some cases or at least very interesting to consumers.

It is no longer default Toyota/Honda is the best and while Honda has its ugly head up its ugly *** Toyota seems to have gotten the memo.

I look forward to see if they turn things up a notch. A successful Toyota means a successful Lexus.

Old 01-11-11, 12:32 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ To your point I think a lot of it has to do with the competition waking the **** up. It used to be Toyota or Honda is the best in each class with Nissan in there here and there. Today Ford, GM, Hyundai, Kia are now best in class in some cases or at least very interesting to consumers.

It is no longer default Toyota/Honda is the best and while Honda has its ugly head up its ugly *** Toyota seems to have gotten the memo.

I look forward to see if they turn things up a notch. A successful Toyota means a successful Lexus.
Agreed, competition is good.
Old 01-11-11, 01:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
BTW, I read the same article in 2006 right before the new Camry debuted. This happens at the end of every Camry lifecycle. No one seems to be in this industry long enough to see and remember the patterns.
Perfectly said. I've seen a pattern over the years of these articles popping up every once in a while. It's as if news publications have nothing else to talk about, and they keep rehashing the same thing over and over, complete with the myopic views of "analysts".

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I've always biched about this.
sheet metal is cheap. you can mold it any way you want. Add some creases and contours. some style.

The camry is in a unique position. It is a car which has a pretty good reputation, and just happens to be the Mediocrity benchmark in terms of appearance.

Even if toyota spiced up the camry, it would still be #1 in sales. Spicing it up will not turn people away.

people don't buy the camry because it looks a certain way. They buy it because it's cheap, and has a pretty spotless reputation. That unintended accleration garbage doesn't count.
Sheet metal is cheap, but stamping presses *for* the sheet metal certainly are not. Also, there is a practical limit of how many creases and contours you can add from a stamping press. Once you exceed that limit, you have no other choice except bending and shaping the metal by hand.

You should come to my area and meet all the people I know that bought the Camry because for the looks . The reputation and specs certainly helped, but I know plenty of people who refused to buy the competition based on styling. If the competition has polarizing and offensive styling and the Camry does not, then yes many people will definitely buy the Camry for the inoffensive looks.

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I don't think that argument flies. Toyotas are not that popular in Europe and they still look bland. They're not ugly, you just wish they had spent a bit more time and money on design to make a truly disireable product. I can't think of any Toyota that would buy based on looks. I think their challenge is going to come from Hyundai and Kia, they are really putting the effort and resources in and it's starting to bear fruit. 5 and 7 year warranties and a recognition of quality at least as good as Toyota's help as well.
Home market loyalty in Europe is huge. Same thing in many other overseas markets. The US is known as the center of capitalism and the free market, so US buyers have less home market loyalty than other countries. Even so, top two biggest automakers in the US this year were American.

Hyundai's long-term quality is now recognized to be equal to Toyota in Europe? That's news to me.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Keep in mind that the Avalon was just "redesigned" so God only knows how long we will be looking at a car that essentially debuted in 2005. We heard all sorts of criticism about the Corolla being delayed because it was "too bland" in comparison to the Civic, and yet when the car debuted, you had to squint to see the differences between it an the 2003 model. Camry is one that is very attractive IMO. I'd say it's the best looking car in it's class overall.

Rav4 is about to be redesigned, Highlander was refreshed and looks great, 4Runner is brand new, Sequoia needs a new look, LC is only 2 years old and just like the Corolla, takes a trained eye to see the differences between it and the previous model.

Tacoma is about to be redesigned and the Tundra isn't far either. Sienna is brand new.

All that said, I think people are actually caring less about design and more about things like MPG, technology, gadgets, innovation and goodies. Not to say that design doesn't matter, but Toyota has fallen behind in terms of engineering prowess. The lackluster AZ engine and 4AT aren't winning them any kudos from entry level buyers, especially when the competition is using 6ATs or CVTs. Highlander still uses a 5AT as does the brand new 4Runner, etc. etc.

My point is that while design is one area where they need improvement, there are still plenty of others.
That "news" about the Corolla being delayed for looks was COMPLETELY false. Anyone working in the industry must have laughed at that when they saw it. It's impossible to change styling on such a short notice and so late in the product cycle. The Corolla was delayed in the US because Toyota was double-checking quality due to problems and concerns on other models.

Oh and just to let you know, the Camry during it's mid-cycle update received the AR 4 cylinder engine and the 6-speed auto as standard.

The AZ engine is almost completely gone from the US Toyota lineup. Only the Matrix and Camry hybrid remain equipped with the AZ engine.
Old 01-11-11, 01:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
the camry interior is too simple for Europe while the ugly/plain/cold interior of the 3 series is ok to them???
it is BMW in Europe...
Old 01-11-11, 01:38 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

How is the redesigned 4Runner fairing?

I remember a little over a decade ago, that SUV was regarded as a status symbol. I always wanted one. Of the few that friends had, they are all on the road from the late 90s and still ride like they're right out of the showroom.

Granted I haven't driven the latest redesign, but something is off. It looks significantly cheaper in it's assembly and choice of plastics. I could very well be wrong, but it looks like it's been heavily influenced by the FJ Cruiser.

Although I've always thought I'd be in a 4Runner, I'm more likely to replace my aging Ford Explorer with another Ford product these days. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is also enticing, but it has a lot to prove in the way of reliability before I would own one.

Michael
Old 01-11-11, 01:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

New 4Runner is selling quite well so far.
Old 01-11-11, 01:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
New 4Runner is selling quite well so far.
The Limited is a very nice truck.
Old 01-11-11, 01:49 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I don't agree with most part of the article. Toyota vehicles still lead in the reliability department. They provide the most user friendly, reliable, and comfortable vehicles. And I think the stylings of most Toyotas and Lexus' are at least good looking, if not exciting. Conservative styling are accepted by most people, that's why they sell. Hyundai Sonata has a non-conversative styling, but they might not catch Camry's sales number even after two more generations. Ford Taurus lost its sales title since a radical change in styling, still remember that oval looking car? There are reasons why Camry and Corolla are so popular in this country, and I don't think radical changes are necessary.
Old 01-11-11, 03:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
The camry (and corolla) interiors are pretty damn terrible. Cheap, flimsy, grey plastics are almost as bad as past GM models.
Old 01-11-11, 03:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The camry (and corolla) interiors are pretty damn terrible. Cheap, flimsy, grey plastics are almost as bad as past GM models.
European corolla has deeply soft interior plastics...
Old 01-11-11, 03:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
European corolla has deeply soft interior plastics...
Damn Europia!

Quick Reply: Toyota's biggest problem: Aging lineup