Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

November 2010 Monthly Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 11:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Honestly I am a little surprised that the Regal could only muster 1,979 sales...then again, maybe not so much.

For one it's a brand new product and two, Buick has been advertising the hell out of that car on TV and billboards. I thought it would be selling more in the 3K/month range, especially with the LaCrosse doing more than 4K units.

However, when you look at what type of value the Regal offers, I am not exactly surprised. $27K will buy you a top-tier V6 Camry or Accord, and that is right around the base price of the Regal. You can spend a few bucks less and get 4cyl versions of those same cars that are still nicely equipped. On the flip side, you can spend a little more coin and get into an ES350, CTS, or C300. Tough spot to be in for the Regal, and as outlined above, it certainly doesn't scream "value" IMO.
Its a genuine supply issue with the Regal. Dealers can't get enough of them as its rebadges overseas also sell well. Its a good looking car to boot and as you stated, cheaper than most.

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I'd take an MKS.

The new M is another flop for Infiniti.
I hope the Care Bears brigade doesn't come here and try to beat you up for that comment. Imagine, the QX outsells the M37/56 and dealers want more QXs to sell. I won't rehash my comments other than "I told you so"

Edit. The M37/56 is really doing poorly.

2010 Sales: M37/56
Mar -- 1,440
Apr -- 1,212
May-- 1,065
Jun -- 1,196
July -- 1,277
Aug -- 1,251
Sep -- 1,460
Oct -- 1,175
Nov -- 1,112 (2nd worst month since debut)

Last edited by LexFather; 12-02-10 at 03:07 PM.

Old 12-02-10, 11:10 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I'd take an MKS.

The new M is another flop for Infiniti.
I think the styling really limits the appeal of the car. Its too polarizing for someone to drop 50k-65k on. There is too much good competition at this price point, the new E-Class and 5 series are eating Infiniti's lunch.
Old 12-02-10, 11:10 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I am a little surprised that the Regal could only muster 1,979 sales...then again, maybe not so much.

For one it's a brand new product and two, Buick has been advertising the hell out of that car on TV and billboards. I thought it would be selling more in the 3K/month range, especially with the LaCrosse doing more than 4K units.

However, when you look at what type of value the Regal offers, I am not exactly surprised. $27K will buy you a top-tier V6 Camry or Accord, and that is right around the base price of the Regal. You can spend a few bucks less and get 4cyl versions of those same cars that are still nicely equipped. On the flip side, you can spend a little more coin and get into an ES350, CTS, or C300. Tough spot to be in for the Regal, and as outlined above, it certainly doesn't scream "value" IMO.

I just went to check MSRP's on the Regal and the Lacrosse.

Guess what's the starting price difference between the two?

$250. Yup, they both start at $26,xxx.

That spells trouble for the regal. I had no idea they were the same price. Why would you get a Regal when you could have a Lacrosse? Unless you just prefer a smaller car with more sport. I think GM screwed up on the pricing here.
Old 12-02-10, 11:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Agreed. This should be a $24k+ car, and the LaCrosse could realistically be closer to $30k.
Old 12-02-10, 11:20 AM
LexFather

I don't think thats the issue. The Lacrosse is much larger and drives less sporty. The two attack different people though the price is the same. No different than the IS/ES/HS/Avalon or G35/37/Maxima/Altima 3.5.

Buick does offer two 27k cars here which does help sales, the TSX is a 29k car base.

Old 12-02-10, 11:21 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

^Agreed. This should be a $24k+ car, and the LaCrosse could realistically be closer to $30k.
Granted, the Lacrosse does get more expensive with AWD versions. And the most common FWD CXL lists at $29K. It's just odd that Buick would start them at the same price.

Remember, the 2012 Buick Verano is coming, Buicks new entry level car ($23K).
So the Regal wouldn't be able to go much lower than it is. Perhaps Buick should just drop the most basic Lacrosse and start it at $29K.
Old 12-02-10, 11:26 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think thats the issue. The Lacrosse is much larger and drives less sporty. The two attack different people though the price is the same. No different than the IS/ES/HS/Avalon or G35/37/Maxima/Altima 3.5.

Buick does offer two 27k cars here which does help sales, the TSX is a 29k car base.
That's true too. Certainly nothing wrong with offering two different cars for different purposes. The important thing is to have enough difference between them. Buick's challenge is to get younger buyers to look at the Regal as a sporty alternative. Most traditional Buick buyers will go straight to the Lacrosse.
Old 12-02-10, 11:34 AM
LexFather

Yeah, good posts guys. Pretty amazing we talk but Buick and Hyundai..something we never talked about on here when we first started these sales threads!

Just occurred to me the Accord MMC did nothing to help.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-02-10 at 12:05 PM.

Old 12-02-10, 01:55 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS69
The power of the Camry never ceases to amaze me (not to mention its off-shoots like the RX350). Sales are down 27.4% & yet it still outsells everything else in its class -- even tho they all have increases in sales:
Camry 20,737 -27.4%
Accord 19,025 +5.8%
Altima 18,372 +18.6%
Fusion 17,647 +28.1%
Sonata 14,031
Malibu 11,651 +4.8%
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm confused does the Accord sales include the 2k plus of the Crosstour or not?
Originally Posted by GFerg
it includes it.
So without the 2,230 Crosstour sales, the Altima and Fusion would have outsold the Accord. Pretty impressive for Nissan and Ford.

How impressive would it be if either the Altima or Fusion or perhaps both outsold the Accord and Camry in a month. Maybe it happens this month.
Old 12-02-10, 02:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
So without the 2,230 Crosstour sales, the Altima and Fusion would have outsold the Accord. Pretty impressive for Nissan and Ford.

How impressive would it be if either the Altima or Fusion or perhaps both outsold the Accord and Camry in a month. Maybe it happens this month.

It's impressive when you look at the total number in the end. They've sold so many Altima and Fusion, but one thing they don't tell you is that they lumped all the sales together whether it be from normal consumers like you and I or big corporates who buy in bulk. There is a reason why you see many Fusion and Altima at car rentals and rarely any Accords.

To me, the amount of cars sold to the retail world is much more important than the total number that includes fleet sales because most companies are looking to buy cars cheap. Enterprise car rental could care less if you wanted a Corolla XRS. They'll give you the CE model because it's maximizes their profit.

In 2009, fleet sales made up 15% of the Altima's total sale while the Fusion was at 25%. If you were to only include retail sales figure, the Accord sold as much as the Fusion and Altima put together. That right there is impressive!
Old 12-02-10, 02:31 PM
LexFather

Nice points Gteg. Also the Altima and Accord include coupe sales as well. Fusion/Malibu/Sonata don't have coupes and I do believe the Solara is done so no more Camry coupes either.

So you just got to look at the numbers and say its pretty amazing the Camry is still #1. Utterly amazing to think the Taurus used to sell in that volume.

Old 12-02-10, 03:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think one thing is becoming apparent-

luxury car buyers are not ready to accept curvy swoopy styling.

all the germans are more or less rectangles, and conservative.
conservative is still king of sales.

let's hope the 4GS doesn't go overboard on styling like the infiniti M
Old 12-02-10, 03:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i think one thing is becoming apparent-

luxury car buyers are not ready to accept curvy swoopy styling.

all the germans are more or less rectangles, and conservative.
conservative is still king of sales.

let's hope the 4GS doesn't go overboard on styling like the infiniti M
Well they bought the last 5 and that was different to look at. It seems no matter what people line up to buy the E/5 with no questions asked. They are selling back at pre-recession levels.

In comparison the M37/56 is selling at a 50% lower rate of the previous model. While I agree the styling seems to be a miss I also think they lost their rabbit *** minds with their pricing and option packages. Sadly like Lexus, the yen is hurting and has nearly eroded much of the pricing advantage so its hard to completely blame them.

Considering the A6 and GS are old, Volvo and Saab are in trouble and their aggressive discounts and leasing the car should clearly be doing better.

Its hard to believe they can't sell 1,500-2000 of them a month its first year out. Its a new car!

Old 12-02-10, 03:53 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's impressive when you look at the total number in the end. They've sold so many Altima and Fusion, but one thing they don't tell you is that they lumped all the sales together whether it be from normal consumers like you and I or big corporates who buy in bulk. There is a reason why you see many Fusion and Altima at car rentals and rarely any Accords.

To me, the amount of cars sold to the retail world is much more important than the total number that includes fleet sales because most companies are looking to buy cars cheap. Enterprise car rental could care less if you wanted a Corolla XRS. They'll give you the CE model because it's maximizes their profit.

In 2009, fleet sales made up 15% of the Altima's total sale while the Fusion was at 25%. If you were to only include retail sales figure, the Accord sold as much as the Fusion and Altima put together. That right there is impressive!
Good point. I will give credit to Ford. If you look back at what the Fusion replaced, the old fleet queen Taurus, 75/25 retail/fleet volume is a vast improvement. I wonder, if you disect the Fusion fleet sale if you would see that the fleet sales are now more skewed toward government and corporate than daily rental.
Old 12-02-10, 05:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The government only accounts for 8% of the Fusion's fleet sales. The rental group still owns majority of fleet (a little more than half) while the corporate/commercial group is a close 2nd.

It's still a whole lot better than the Taurus though that's for sure! No one consumer really wanted the Taurus, but I see lots of Fusion around

Quick Reply: November 2010 Monthly Sales Thread