Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: 2011 Lexus CT 200h

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 09:04 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bamboo is so hot, I have a fetish for bamboo in cars
Old 11-05-10, 11:35 PM
WAES300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
good stuff mike! some very nice insight on the car!!!

never felt anything about the HS, but always hope on the CT. i think this can be a better entry level luxury car on the lexus lineup. imagine all the college new grad getting into the work industry wanting something luxurious

Hit the nail right on the head, ironically I saw a review on TV today (local) and I was thinking...Once I'm outta college, it might be a candidate to replace the ES..

I definitely like the light color interior with the bamboo, and put that blue color I saw here awhile ago and it'd be a perfect car for me. I'm sure it'd get close to 42MPG too, my relatives have a '10 Prius and it gets 49MPG driving regularly (no rolling roadblock). Sounds like an awesome car!!
Old 11-06-10, 03:21 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to admit. At first I didn't like the exterior looks of this car, but it has grown on me enough that I would buy it. Not a bad car at all.
Old 11-06-10, 03:38 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The new RX is a huge step up in handling from the previous gen...and of course the LF A has proven that Lexus can do handling (and maybe the F )...but have they come that far that an econo box is going to outhandle most of their line up???
No real surprise here, nothing in the Lexus lineup (save the F and the LFA) really handles all that well. Very easy to see the nimblest and lightest Lexus ever also be the one that outhandles the rest of its heavier, softer lineup.
Old 11-06-10, 02:02 PM
Aegee14
Rookie

Before the lexus, I drove a Toyota Celica GT (140 hp with 2,500 lbs. curb weight). I just can't imagine myself driving a car with the same hp but weighing >20% more. If it is a base price of $30K, I would always choose the BMW 128i - no matter how much I love my IS and the Lexus brand. Plus, if you look at the specs for both cars, the leg/head/shoulder room, along with weight, are pretty much identical.

This is just my opinion, but I am willing to take the 128i and sacrifice 14mpg for better handling and 90hp more in a V6. And you get a manual option with the BMW.
Old 11-06-10, 02:53 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I think the CT 200h is a great idea, cant wait to see all those F sport parts for it!
Old 11-06-10, 03:08 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aegee14
Before the lexus, I drove a Toyota Celica GT (140 hp with 2,500 lbs. curb weight). I just can't imagine myself driving a car with the same hp but weighing >20% more. If it is a base price of $30K, I would always choose the BMW 128i - no matter how much I love my IS and the Lexus brand. Plus, if you look at the specs for both cars, the leg/head/shoulder room, along with weight, are pretty much identical.

This is just my opinion, but I am willing to take the 128i and sacrifice 14mpg for better handling and 90hp more in a V6. And you get a manual option with the BMW.
I think a car like the CT 200h is meant to just be your daily commuter car and not your only car. You drive this car to and from work, and then you take your other car (Whichever that may be) out after work time is done. I know if I bought this car it would be my daily driver and I'd pick up another car as well.
Old 11-06-10, 03:45 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great review; I went to the CT driving event here in Dallas. It was 10am in the morning so the sun was everywhere:

The first impression I had was how GREAT GREAT the steering wheel was. It was a thick enough for my taste. There's a big difference between normal driving mode and sport mode. I would also leave it on sport mode the whole time.

Some notes that I found out from the reps:

The piece of wood in front of the passenger seat is interchangeable. You just open the glove compartment and pop it out. The rep said it's meant for people to own more than one piece and change them whenever they want.

Here's a close up of the bamboo one:

If you look at the back of the front seats, there'll be a zipper on each seat so you can remove the leather/nuluxe cover. It's suppose to let you change seat colors or replace them with a new one without having to buy a new seat. Here's a close up of the zipper:

And here are some close up of the car:

Old 11-06-10, 05:48 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

interior is pretty good for entry level, but the cup holders are ugly, how they have a curvature look to them.

Did you notice that the passenger seat does not have electronic control? Im not sure if that is a Europe thing or if they are going to bring that (or lack of) over here too.

Great write up. I would venture a guess that the car will slot right above 30K.
Old 11-06-10, 06:10 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exterior i do not like, interior looks awesome!!!!
Old 11-07-10, 12:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

nice car. wish it came in a non-hybrid version to give it more useful space.
a ford fiesta 5 door hatch is probably at least as useful, and much cheaper. although not as luxurious.
Old 11-07-10, 12:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice car. wish it came in a non-hybrid version to give it more useful space.
a ford fiesta 5 door hatch is probably at least as useful, and much cheaper. although not as luxurious.
fiesta is smaller size car, it is not as useful... well, unless you think IS and GS are same size . In fact, fiesta doesnt have enough space for car in its class (Yaris), as it is mostly built for style and not ergonomics.

There isnt much space taken in CT200h by batteries, most of the "inefficiency" compared to Corolla for instance comes from luxury features like big seats where you sit properly and not upright as in econobox.
Old 11-07-10, 03:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by huy33
Great review; I went to the CT driving event here in Dallas. It was 10am in the morning so the sun was everywhere:

The first impression I had was how GREAT GREAT the steering wheel was. It was a thick enough for my taste. There's a big difference between normal driving mode and sport mode. I would also leave it on sport mode the whole time.

Some notes that I found out from the reps:

The piece of wood in front of the passenger seat is interchangeable. You just open the glove compartment and pop it out. The rep said it's meant for people to own more than one piece and change them whenever they want.

Here's a close up of the bamboo one:

If you look at the back of the front seats, there'll be a zipper on each seat so you can remove the leather/nuluxe cover. It's suppose to let you change seat colors or replace them with a new one without having to buy a new seat. Here's a close up of the zipper:
Thanks for the additional pics and info! Didn't know about the seats and interchangeable wood.

Originally Posted by spwolf
fiesta is smaller size car, it is not as useful... well, unless you think IS and GS are same size . In fact, fiesta doesnt have enough space for car in its class (Yaris), as it is mostly built for style and not ergonomics.

There isnt much space taken in CT200h by batteries, most of the "inefficiency" compared to Corolla for instance comes from luxury features like big seats where you sit properly and not upright as in econobox.
I usually don't check out hatches but I need to. Not sure how the CT stacks up since dimension figures do not tell the entire story.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Great review Mike!

I'm also intrigued to see what happens as Lexus goes "downmarket". Profitablity at the end of the day rules the corporate rule (with the exception of the LF A...lol)....and even AM has proven that.

Nice to see you getting taken care of by Lexus. Guess it goes to show the time you spend here is actually worth something.

If AM can bring the Cygnet, Lexus should be able to sell a CT.

While seeing a vehicle in person vs. pictures is very different....the first thing I though of when I saw the red one was....wow that looks a lot like my neighbours Matrix Xwhatever.

I'm not sure what the opposition to "faux" leather is? The appearance is almost exactly the same. Yes, the feel is different, but the durability of "leatherette" is amazing.

I actually had this discussion on the BMW forum today. We chose the leatherette in our ML knowing it was going to be our dog vehicle. When our X5 was new the true leather was essentially the same as the ML's leatherette when new. The difference is that the X5 (10 months old) "broken in" is softer and feels more luxurious now.

However, our ML is 18 months old and looks exactly like it did the day we bought it and our 95 lb (ish) pup has climbed all over most of it.

This is one area where different strokes for different folks certainly applies, imo.

Well what else am I supposed to expect now....lol.

Really Mike???

The new RX is a huge step up in handling from the previous gen...and of course the LF A has proven that Lexus can do handling (and maybe the F )...but have they come that far that an econo box is going to outhandle most of their line up???
Thanks for the compliments. In regards to the CT going downmarket its really for Europe where its not really considered downmarket. Just here it is.

I do spend a lot of time here

Most here don't like faux leather. Personally it is not for me. Some people are firm believers in it though and that is fine for me. Choice is good no?

In regards to handling yes all Lexus models are greatly improved over the past and they are not bad like some people insist on saying. The CT does have low power so its easier to "handle" and maybe that is part of the equation. I feel though that the combination of low inertia, center mass, low driving position, nice steering wheel helped tremendously. My other favorite handling Lexus is the IS 300 and IS 350 F-sport.

Old 11-09-10, 07:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

so prius-defenders, why is the center gauge stack great there but lexus didn't do the same on the CT? i think the interior on this CT is really nice. great job Lexus
Old 11-09-10, 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so prius-defenders, why is the center gauge stack great there but lexus didn't do the same on the CT? i think the interior on this CT is really nice. great job Lexus
lol some people say that? i never understand that design. the ct interior is very good imho. the nav (pop up) can use some improvement, but overall i like it (for its level)

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: 2011 Lexus CT 200h