Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus U.S. dealer meeting notes - WSJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-10, 07:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
If the next Camry was shown then any news about the next generation ES? Usually they debut during the same time.
Ii've heard nothing on the ES but I expect it will also include some new intuitive tech as standard with the Lexus Enform, maybe it gains remote touch and a hybrid option. Not sure will it get AWD as an option.

The ES continues to sell well so don't expect anything drastic. We all saw how that worked for the TL

Old 10-28-10, 03:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ii've heard nothing on the ES but I expect it will also include some new intuitive tech as standard with the Lexus Enform, maybe it gains remote touch and a hybrid option. Not sure will it get AWD as an option.

The ES continues to sell well so don't expect anything drastic. We all saw how that worked for the TL
That will be an interesting departure to have the ES with Remote Touch while the Camry (presumably) doesn't get it.
Old 10-28-10, 03:48 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

It's about time for the ES to get a hybrid variant. Five generations later and no hybrid yet. Even the Camry (ES cousin) has a hybrid. Lexus could make either:

ES 250h (four cylinder hybrid) or ES 450h (six cylinder hybrid)
Old 10-28-10, 04:04 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

most likely the ES will get the powertrain from the RX but I wouldnt be surprised it it got the 2.4 from the camryh
Old 10-28-10, 04:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
es250h would be lame (too slow).
Old 10-28-10, 04:42 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
es250h would be lame (too slow).
The Camry Hybrid feels plenty fast, so an ES250h shouldn't be too bad either. For those who only want to travel in comfort an ES250h should be more than adequate already, although once again an upgrade to the more efficient 2.5L should be in order.
Old 10-28-10, 05:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
It's about time for the ES to get a hybrid variant. Five generations later and no hybrid yet. Even the Camry (ES cousin) has a hybrid. Lexus could make either:

I doubt either of those. I'm betting it will be the return of the of the ES 300 but with an "h" at the end if anything. 2.5L w/Hybrid 4 cylinder.
Old 10-28-10, 05:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
I doubt either of those. I'm betting it will be the return of the of the ES 300 but with an "h" at the end if anything. 2.5L w/Hybrid 4 cylinder.
Nice!!

Old 11-29-10, 02:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Just to add to the info SICK mentioned, I recently heard that the next-gen Camry's interior is "outstanding".
Old 11-29-10, 03:07 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

I'm 34 years old, but I feel like an old man since I think the style (inside and out) of the first gen GS was the best of the bunch.

I would love to see Lexus return to a styling direction simillar to the curves on those first gen GS's and SC's.

For me, the problem with the 3rd gen GS was that it didn't have anything exciting. The first GS had the style. The second had the power, looks, and cool green guages (along with the Mark Levinson audio).

The third generation looks good (not "special" as its predecessors), and aside from the hybrid option didn't have any cool draws to out. I think a small thing Lexus could have done was to offer more interior color/wood choices.

I'm hoping the next GS brings back that "special" vibe. Maybe an LF-A inspired guage layout?
Old 11-29-10, 05:00 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enough with these vague statements. They are hype with no specific descriptions. I would believe these descriptions more if they were more specific, ie better build quality, use of certain materials, better proportioned design, etc. etc. But so far it's just "This car is gorgeous. That car is amazing." Waste of time imo. Not really sure why these "sources" can't describe the car just a little bit besides hugely vague descriptors.
Old 11-29-10, 09:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Enough with these vague statements. They are hype with no specific descriptions. I would believe these descriptions more if they were more specific, ie better build quality, use of certain materials, better proportioned design, etc. etc. But so far it's just "This car is gorgeous. That car is amazing." Waste of time imo. Not really sure why these "sources" can't describe the car just a little bit besides hugely vague descriptors.
Why so mad? People are just trying to share info on a very tight lipped company. If you don't like it you don't have to pay it any attention.

Old 11-29-10, 10:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree, I cannot and will not believe any of the "it's gorgeous and amazing" statements. Every car company promotes their product that way so it means absolutely nothing. No one is going to say, "our next model will look like a horse's ***." Seeing is believing and that's what I am waiting for.
Old 11-30-10, 05:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
No one is going to say, "our next model will look like a horse's ***."
i heard that's bangle's new line.
Old 11-30-10, 07:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008
With all due respect, I don't understand how you can expect more specific information?

Toyota is extremely secretive, and it's hard enough even getting this amount of information.

Anways, I would think it's common sense that "outstanding" implies better materials, better build quality, and a very nice proportioned design.

To clarify, I heard "outstanding" from a source as in outstanding overall. Again, that would imply better materials, design, and build quality.

Quick Reply: Lexus U.S. dealer meeting notes - WSJ