Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Flagship Sedan to Rival Lexus LS? Return of the Park Avenue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 02:12 PM
jason60050
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had a laugh like that in a long time!!! Buick will never be able to compete with Lexus in terms of quality and resale value. Not to mention how many times our tax dollars have bailed out GM...we should be getting these cars for cost.
Old 08-09-10, 04:29 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
^^^

AFAIK, Genesis costs about twice more in Korea than it costs in the US.
Makes me wonder why Koreans don't fly to the US, buy a Genesis for half the price and then ship it back for a couple thousand. I suspect though it has to do with how protective the Koreans are of their auto industry.
Old 08-09-10, 04:40 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jason60050
I haven't had a laugh like that in a long time!!! Buick will never be able to compete with Lexus in terms of quality and resale value. Not to mention how many times our tax dollars have bailed out GM...we should be getting these cars for cost.
Did I miss something or Buick has been pretty good in quality ratings?
Old 08-09-10, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I found the MKS ride, sound, and engine to be rather harsh compared to the LS and the best GM products. The ecoboost engine helps, but it's usually paired with a tire and suspension setup that doesn't do it any favors.
Totally agree on the MKS....I found it firmer than I thought it should be. It has, of course, the AWD option that the Town Car never got, but, otherwise, is no match for the Town Car's smoothness....or, as you note, the LS.
Old 08-09-10, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
Did I miss something or Buick has been pretty good in quality ratings?
In general, Buick sedans, according to Consumer Reports, have been above-average in reliability for years....among GM's best. Not so for their SUVs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-09-10 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jason60050
I haven't had a laugh like that in a long time!!! Buick will never be able to compete with Lexus in terms of quality and resale value.
Don't laugh too soon. Some Lexus products don't show the build quality they did 5-10 years ago.........at a time when GM is steadily improving in many areas.

And, 15-20 years ago, you would have been laughed right off the block if you said that Hyundai/Kia would build good vehicles. Or that mighty Toyota would ever have quality problems.
Old 08-09-10, 10:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tex2670
Lexus spent YEARS undercutting the competition on price, and building its reputation, which now enables it to charge $70K for its flagship. Buick can't do that. Buick can try to take on the LS, but the only way there are going to do that is by selling the Park Avenue for under $50k.
Yes, Lexus price was lower until recently but you got a vehicle that was as good or better than the competiton (or slightly worse if you hate Lexus). Lexus didn't sell 4 cylinder ES 300s like Buick is selling them at first.

I don't think Buick is selling a vehicle on par or better than a Lexus right now. I think they sell less for a reason. Can that change in the future? Maybe.

Originally Posted by mikemareen
what a lot of people in the states don't realize is that we are getting the genesis and equus at very close to the cost it takes to build the car. the mark up is very minimal.

unlike in korea, the genesis and equus go for a premium with standard mark up profits as other manufacturers here in the states.
We are talking about Buick and Lexus, not Hyundai. We also have no proof that the Genesis or Equus is selling at cost here.

Old 08-10-10, 05:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes, Lexus price was lower until recently but you got a vehicle that was as good or better than the competiton (or slightly worse if you hate Lexus). Lexus didn't sell 4 cylinder ES 300s like Buick is selling them at first.

I don't think Buick is selling a vehicle on par or better than a Lexus right now. I think they sell less for a reason. Can that change in the future? Maybe.
Even MORE of a reason why Buick needs to sell this car on the cheap.