Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: what do u think
They can park where they want
5.88%
They need to set an example and park legally
82.35%
Hell I park in handicap spots and I am not handicap
0%
Where is the Peter North thread
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Caught On Camera: Alpharetta Cop Parked In Handicap Spot (Chief did it too)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 09:18 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
unless the store is getting robbed and there is nowhere else to park, cops should park in normal spots. i hate people who take handicap spots but aren't handicapped.
And I hate the reverse of this as well, ie a handicapped person taking a normal spot when a handicapped spot is available.
Old 07-21-10, 09:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carLx
And I still think that a $300 fine for parking in a handicap spot without a permit is just outrageous. The punishment here far exceeds the severity of the crime.

The fact that "Cop parks in handicap spot" even made news is also laughable.

Again, let me reiterate, I don't condone parking in handicap spots, but I think people who chose to run a handicap spot violation as a "news story" are bat**** insane.

People pay less fines for speeding, which to me is obviously a more egregious crime than parking in a handicap spot, and certainly rarely newsworthy.
Interesting perspective.

I'd contend that it's much less egregious for me to be doing 130 km/h on the highway (100 km/h speed limit) in my F that is designed to do 270 km/h than it is for me to park in a handicap stall and further impede a person that actually needs the stall.

I'd certainly agree that it is less than newsworthy however.
Old 07-21-10, 09:26 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
I never park in handicap spots, never will, and chastise people without legitimate handicap permits for doing so.

However, I am thoroughly irritated by the apparent fact that there are, on average, 10 times more handicap spots than truly necessary in many places.

Few places have the "right" amount of spots. Even fewer places have too few spots.

But many places seem to have way too many handicap spots. There's a parking garage next to a chain restaurant called Maggiano's at "The Domain" in Austin Texas that has about 15 handicap parking spots in a row right up front. On average, 0 to 1 of the spots are taken, and 14 perfectly good spots are gone to waste, while the entire first 3 to 4 floors of the garage are 100% packed with other cars.
My school here in GA has way to many handicap spots, and it's not really a school you find people with anything wrong, except for the 2 fat older women who have handicap parking permits, thats about it, but some places have a ton.

Back home in NY it seems like every fat lazy somewhat older person who drives an SUV has a handicap permit, apparently 2 of the qualifications is fat and lazy, it's kinda sad to see these lazy people take up spots especially at the mall, a van pulls up with one or more people who are actually disabled and they either have to illegally park or wait for the Fatties to return with Banana Republic bags and hop in the car

Doctors should be held accountable for handing out these tags for just cause reason
Old 07-21-10, 10:34 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Interesting perspective.

I'd contend that it's much less egregious for me to be doing 130 km/h on the highway (100 km/h speed limit) in my F that is designed to do 270 km/h than it is for me to park in a handicap stall and further impede a person that actually needs the stall.

I'd certainly agree that it is less than newsworthy however.
That's actually a good point, maybe generic "speeding" was the wrong violation to cite.

Severity and context of speeding certainly matter. In your case, 130 km/hr in a 100 km/hr on a flat, stable, wide-laned highway is probably less egregious than taking up a handicapped spot, I agree, and in many places cops would agree as well. Context is key here.

Similarly, though, I think context should be taken into account when determining potential fines for "unlawful handicap spot parking." As I said before, the cop doesn't appear to be obstructing any handicapped people from parking because the other handicapped spots next to him are completely clear. For that reason, given that particular context, I feel it would be more appropriate for that cop to be let off with a "warning."
Old 07-21-10, 10:46 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't disagree here.
Old 07-21-10, 11:31 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alpharetta's F-ing Finest.

I think I know which QT that is too. About a 1/4 mile from my house.