ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Caught On Camera: Alpharetta Cop Parked In Handicap Spot (Chief did it too) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/514724-caught-on-camera-alpharetta-cop-parked-in-handicap-spot-chief-did-it-too.html)

LexFather 07-21-10 04:46 PM

Caught On Camera: Alpharetta Cop Parked In Handicap Spot (Chief did it too)

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24342938/detail.html

http://www.wsbtv.com/2010/0721/24343259_240X135.jpg

Caught On Camera: Alpharetta Cop Parked In Handicap Spot

Posted: 4:35 pm EDT July 21, 2010
Updated: 5:02 pm EDT July 21, 2010

ALPHARETTA, Ga. -- The Alpharetta Police Department is investigating one of its own.
A viewer e-mailed Channel 2 Action News reporter Diana Davis photos of an Alpharetta police car parked in the handicapped zone at the QT on Milton Parkway.
Brian Davis told Davis that the officer sat there for at least 20 minutes blocking the handicapped ramp.
Brian Davis said there was no emergency and called the officer’s actions “an outrage and an arrogant abuse of power.”
Brian Davis, who had a handicapped family member, said the officer’s actions represents a lack of respect.
“The police feel like they can do what they want, how they want, and the laws they are supposed to enforce and protect and serve don’t apply to them,” said Brian Davis. He said the spaces are clearly marked and could not have been overlooked.
The Alpharetta Police Department said it has launched an internal investigation to determine the facts.
The department said it “expects its officers to set an example for the community and that such behavior is unacceptable and won’t be tolerated."
Disabled driver Chuck Elander said he has had it with folks parking in handicapped spots .
“I’m embarrassed for them that they feel they can’t walk an extra 15 or 20 feet … I mean that’s kind of pathetic,” said Elander.
Just last month, the Conyers police chief publicly apologized for parking in a handicapped spot. He fined himself $300.
Alpharetta police won’t say what, if any, punishment their officer will receive.
The maximum fine for parking in a handicapped spot is $500.

Jetfire 07-21-10 06:05 PM

unless the store is getting robbed and there is nowhere else to park, cops should park in normal spots. i hate people who take handicap spots but aren't handicapped.

MPLexus301 07-21-10 08:01 PM

Alpharetta cops are some of the worst in the state...right there with Cobb County and Duluth :thumbdn:

<VENOM> 07-21-10 08:18 PM

Don't see anyone in dire need of the space, cop probably had a long day in this humid heat with a vest on, probably needed a good 20 min to rehydrate and recompose himself or he would pass out, cut him some slack, he's only human.

<VENOM> 07-21-10 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MPLexus301 (Post 5659069)
Alpharetta cops are some of the worst in the state...right there with Cobb County and Duluth :thumbdn:

Look at the quality of cars on the road, then think about the people driving them, this area does not have the brightest drivers, I don't know how these cops do it, but Im glad they do it cause someone has to

stick 07-21-10 08:25 PM

Damn, I'll admit I park in red zones all the time, but NEVER in a handicap spot. I'd be pissed if I saw one of my partners in a handicap spot......I'd move his car and park it reealllllyyyy far away:D

syzygy 07-21-10 08:34 PM

I never park in handicap spots, never will, and chastise people without legitimate handicap permits for doing so.

However, I am thoroughly irritated by the apparent fact that there are, on average, 10 times more handicap spots than truly necessary in many places.

Few places have the "right" amount of spots. Even fewer places have too few spots.

But many places seem to have way too many handicap spots. There's a parking garage next to a chain restaurant called Maggiano's at "The Domain" in Austin Texas that has about 15 handicap parking spots in a row right up front. On average, 0 to 1 of the spots are taken, and 14 perfectly good spots are gone to waste, while the entire first 3 to 4 floors of the garage are 100% packed with other cars.

TLe2006 07-21-10 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by <VENOM> (Post 5659125)
Don't see anyone in dire need of the space, cop probably had a long day in this humid heat with a vest on, probably needed a good 20 min to rehydrate and recompose himself or he would pass out, cut him some slack, he's only human.

If he's not getting out, can't he park over 2 spaces? it's not that much of a walk.

syzygy 07-21-10 08:37 PM

And I still think that a $300 fine for parking in a handicap spot without a permit is just outrageous. The punishment here far exceeds the severity of the crime.

The fact that "Cop parks in handicap spot" even made news is also laughable.

Again, let me reiterate, I don't condone parking in handicap spots, but I think people who chose to run a handicap spot violation as a "news story" are bat**** insane.

People pay less fines for speeding, which to me is obviously a more egregious crime than parking in a handicap spot, and certainly rarely newsworthy.

syzygy 07-21-10 08:41 PM

What makes matters worse is that the other handicap spots weren't even being used. Thus, by parking in that handicap spot, the cop clearly was not taking that spot away from a truly handicapped person.

If the other handicapped spots had been taken, then the cop may have potentially been obstructing a truly handicapped person from parking in a handicap spot, but this did not appear to be the case based on that picture.

syzygy 07-21-10 08:43 PM

As far as police abusing power goes, you want to know what's far more newsworthy than this? It's the fact that police speed on highways/freeways often when there is no need to and know that they will never be stopped by a fellow officer for speeding.

MPLexus301 07-21-10 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by <VENOM> (Post 5659125)

With my luck, if I tried that I would get a ticket. If I told the officer it was 100 degrees outside, I had a business suit on, and I needed a while to cool off and rehydrate do you think he would give a flip? No.

If nothing else...lead by example. :thumbdn:

MPLexus301 07-21-10 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by <VENOM> (Post 5659131)
Look at the quality of cars on the road, then think about the people driving them, this area does not have the brightest drivers, I don't know how these cops do it, but Im glad they do it cause someone has to

Not sure what you mean by this? Alpharetta is one of the wealthiest areas in the nation.

Furthermore, until you live in the city and talk to people who:
- get a "failure to maintain lane" ticket for knicking the yellow line with their rear tire when pulling into a turn lane
- get a speeding ticket for going 37 in a 35
- were followed home by cops and harassed about their age and driving style
...I would hold off on praising the Alpharetta Police Department. They're a bunch of bored yee-haws with nothing better to do than pick on people. This picture is of absolutely no surprise to me. Two of my uncles are officers (not in this state) and I grew up in Alpharetta- I know and have respect for law enforcement that takes their job seriously. These pigs are not among them.

<VENOM> 07-21-10 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by MPLexus301 (Post 5659201)
With my luck, if I tried that I would get a ticket. If I told the officer it was 100 degrees outside, I had a business suit on, and I needed a while to cool off and rehydrate do you think he would give a flip? No.

If nothing else...lead by example. :thumbdn:

Im just trying to take a non bias side here, I know that if you or I where parked in the spot and a cop pulled up it would be a different story, I know it was not the best thing to do.

I did not realize Alpharetta was that wealthy, but you make it sound like NYC with tickets, revenue happy

MPLexus301 07-21-10 09:17 PM

^unfortunately they're not even really that ticket-happy. They're more power-hungry, which is worse IMO.

Devil's Advocate is always good, but these guys aren't deserving. Trust me :D