Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac calls Ritz to capture luxury lost on young

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 08:51 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

My feeling is, why should the dealers be customer focused if caddy themselves are so out to lunch.

Look at the car line up.

XLR, never held a candle to MB SL and got no real upgrading over its lifespan.

DTS, a rear wheel drive scale sedan with front wheel drive and sloppy road manners

STS, kind of ok but too small inside for the size of the car. BMW 5 has no fear of this.

CTS, the best they have but poisoned with front fender chrome trim. The V is nasty but I wish it had a modern motor. There is a wagon no one wants too.

Welcome to the cadillac show room.
Old 06-16-10, 07:15 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Haha I used to work for The Ritz Carlton and I must say that in theory, everything in the books is very awesome and in-line with my views of how a ultra-luxurious hotel should be run but they can never actually force an employee to share that view, only by incentives. Same goes for car sales, the sales rep. doesn't care about the brand, he cares about the commission!

I still remember the first paragraph of the company credo.
Old 06-16-10, 10:53 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faymester
I think there would be a big difference if Cadillac was sold on it's own, not in a dealership where you can also buy an $8,000 Cobalt (for a couple reasons)

1 - If your dealership deals exclusively with the luxury brand, they sales people will always be in luxury mode.
2 - If I'm about to go spend nearly $100,000 on an SUV, I do not want to be in the same place as someone who has issues buying new shoes.

I guess what I'm getting at is: (at the most basic level) keep the budget buyers out of the luxury dealerships.
Tru that. There is a reason toyota and lexus dealerships are seperated. YOu spend alot of money on a car and service you expect to be treated better and have a higher class of people to deal with. There isnt anything sadillac makes i would be interested in if their smart they would just copy how lexus does things and they might even make some moeny.

Last edited by slvrboolet; 06-16-10 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 11:20 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
All I can say to Cadillac is... release the Sixteen
Originally Posted by Haitwun
They need to discontinue the current XLR and build this.

Neither of these matter with out the service.

We have an STS and we love the car but try and find someone (who will give you good customer service and/or not try to screw you) to do anything beyond basic maintenance and you're up the proverbial creek, sans paddle.

I take my M to a little whole in the wall garage, no courtessy cars, waiting room is a couple chairs next to their cash register, and it's two guys running the entire show; but I go there because the guys are great at what they do, they don't try anything funny, and they're accomodating. If the M needs to go to the dealership (where it rarely goes) BMW treats me like I'm there all the time. No one I have to deal with tells me 'no' with respect to the M, as they shouldn't; I'm the customer, I'm paying them.
Old 06-16-10, 11:34 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The boys at cadillac should call Bell Lexus to get some tips. They are the number ranked Lexus dealership for customer service in the country
Old 06-16-10, 11:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
When his buddy test drove a CTS- V sedan, it ran out of gas. Whitacre's e-mailed response was projected in large letters on a screen: “If true, awful.”
Funny thing reading this... it happened to me a few years ago when my wife and I test drove a G35. I even told the salesperson about the 'way past "E" and fuel light' before we took off and he shrugged it off as not a problem. I said when I was crawling into the car "I guess it's no skin off my back, you're the one who will be walking to get the gas can if we run out". We did run out and on the most busy street in Charlotte. New car with dealer tags broken down in the center median with emergency flashers going and the salesperson taking a long walk in the heat while we ran the AC on battery power.
Old 06-16-10, 12:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Funny thing reading this... it happened to me a few years ago when my wife and I test drove a G35. I even told the salesperson about the 'way past "E" and fuel light' before we took off and he shrugged it off as not a problem. I said when I was crawling into the car "I guess it's no skin off my back, you're the one who will be walking to get the gas can if we run out". We did run out and on the most busy street in Charlotte. New car with dealer tags broken down in the center median with emergency flashers going and the salesperson taking a long walk in the heat while we ran the AC on battery power.
That is just crazy

Old 06-16-10, 03:37 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I want to like Cadillac. In Texas, many of their dealers ARE split from other GM brands, which is essential if you are trying to match the experience of a Lexus/Audi/MB/BMW dealer.

They should start with their advertising. That Kate Walsh CTS ad is just downright terrible.

Note to Cadillac - you are not selling the features in your cars. You are selling the perception of your brand. I do *not* care about a pop-up nav screen. I *do* care about the way I am treated when I enter your dealership, both the sales and service departments.
Old 06-16-10, 04:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
My feeling is, why should the dealers be customer focused if caddy themselves are so out to lunch.

Look at the car line up.

XLR, never held a candle to MB SL and got no real upgrading over its lifespan.

DTS, a rear wheel drive scale sedan with front wheel drive and sloppy road manners

STS, kind of ok but too small inside for the size of the car. BMW 5 has no fear of this.

CTS, the best they have but poisoned with front fender chrome trim. The V is nasty but I wish it had a modern motor. There is a wagon no one wants too.

Welcome to the cadillac show room.
Nice recap of the products/cars, excluding the SUV/trucks. And the emphasis at Cadillac needs to be on the products.