Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 07:23 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exterior pics..........
Attached Thumbnails Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??-impreza-front.jpg   Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??-impreza-back.jpg  
Old 07-03-10, 07:26 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

interior pics..........
Attached Thumbnails Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??-photo-1.jpg   Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??-photo-2-4.jpg   Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??-photo-3-1.jpg   Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??-photo-4-1.jpg  
Old 07-03-10, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congragulations. A nice choice.

With the steering/front-suspension issues on the 2010-2011 Legacy-Outback, I'm looking at the smaller Impreza/Outback Sport as a (possible) car for myself when it's time.

With the 2006 model you have, I know of only one mechanical issue.....possible weak rear-wheel bearings. They are covered, on some VINs, by an extended factory warranty. A Subaru service adviser or Subaru Customer Service can tell you if your particular car is involned.
Old 07-03-10, 06:00 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations. A nice choice.

With the steering/front-suspension issues on the 2010-2011 Legacy-Outback, I'm looking at the smaller Impreza/Outback Sport as a (possible) car for myself when it's time.

With the 2006 model you have, I know of only one mechanical issue.....possible weak rear-wheel bearings. They are covered, on some VINs, by an extended factory warranty. A Subaru service adviser or Subaru Customer Service can tell you if your particular car is involned.
Thanks for the heads up.

Btw I don't think the Impreza will be a great car for you. The interior is TIGHT. No backseat room if the front seat is put all the way back. You should probably look into the slightly bigger Toyota Matrix with AWD, if that's gonna be your main car.

Anyway the Impreza is a perfect 1st car, and I think it'll be great for him since he's going to college in the midwest and all............
Old 07-03-10, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Thanks for the heads up.

Sure. Anytime.

Btw I don't think the Impreza will be a great car for you. The interior is TIGHT. No backseat room if the front seat is put all the way back. You should probably look into the slightly bigger Toyota Matrix with AWD, if that's gonna be your main car.
The Matrix doesn't have enough ground clearance......and I find the dash and interior too quirky. (The Impreza, of course, doesn't have as much clearance as the Outback either).

I have no problems, however, fitting in in the Impreza or Outback Sport, even with my size (my brother has an Impreza 2.5i Sportwagon). And, being single, I usually don't need back-seat space.

Anyway the Impreza is a perfect 1st car, and I think it'll be great for him since he's going to college in the midwest and all............
Yes. I often recommend Imprezas for young people/college students going off to school in bad weather. But, since yours is now 4-5 years old, and since it's going to an area where temps can get pretty cold, it might be a good idea to give it a new battery and make sure the terminals are clean and tight, even if the current battery shows no signs (yet) of dying. Winter temperatures in the Midwest, depending on just where you are, can drop below zero in the wintertime....and well below zero in the Northern Plains.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-04-10 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-04-10, 06:48 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get him soemthing that won't require a timing belt maintenance. Kids don't have money or time to spend getting a t belt changed, but when it breaks, he will be stranded on the side of the road. I've seen way too many young people who dont' understand car stuff neglect t belt maintenance and then get stuck somewhere when it breaks.
The maxima is perfect, it uses a chain.
Old 07-04-10, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 19psi
get him soemthing that won't require a timing belt maintenance. Kids don't have money or time to spend getting a t belt changed, but when it breaks, he will be stranded on the side of the road. I've seen way too many young people who dont' understand car stuff neglect t belt maintenance and then get stuck somewhere when it breaks.
The maxima is perfect, it uses a chain.
Although chains are generally more durable then belts, they can break, too.......especially if the oil isn't changed properly (most of them ride in an oil bath). And belts, in general, only have to be changed at 60-90K intervals. So, if the average teen isn't responsible enough to do that, he or she is likely neglecting the oil, too. I see little difference.

And I'm sure that (Cj) is smart enough (he's obviously car-savvy and knows his stuff) to show his teen the basics of smiple auto care. Not only that, but on Certified Used Cars, timing belt condition/replacement (depending on mileage) is one of the many 100+ issues that are inspected and/or dealt with before the car is put on sale. That's why CPOs usually have a special warranty and cost a little more than the typical used car from Smiling Sam's Used-Car lot.