Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 06:41 PM
markstoys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Pretty interesting article.

Just imagine a Lamborghini riding on fifteens bahaha

Hey, the Countach rode on 15's.
Old 04-19-10, 10:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Supersized is not good,
Do you still think, as you did in the past, that the 19-20" wheels on the Toyota Venza are a good idea?
Old 04-20-10, 08:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you still think, as you did in the past, that the 19-20" wheels on the Toyota Venza are a good idea?
Yes for the large Venza (which is not a Golf). 19 or 20's are not supersized for a vehicle as large and heavy as Venza, and are part of the success of that particular Toyota model.

If you read this thread you will notice the cheap supersized tire/wheel combos here are extremely heavy compared to the OEM VW setup.

btw, this info is well known to most enthusiasts, good article.
Old 04-20-10, 08:13 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info but i wish they told us the weight of each wheel and tire
Old 04-20-10, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you read this thread you will notice the cheap supersized tire/wheel combos here are extremely heavy compared to the OEM VW setup.
That shows how much lighter a lot of stock and non-alloy wheels have gotten over the years. At one time, aftermarket alloys, even some oversize ones, were considerably lighter than most stock wheels. Alloys, especially aftermarket ones, are made of special, light weight materials.....one reason for their relatively high expense.

If you read this thread
I did read it. And I think that Byprodrive made some good points

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Increasing the weight of your wheel & tire combo is probably the worst place to add weight if acceleration, braking, handling, or ride comfort is important to you. Increasing the diameter of your wheels allows you to reduce the sidewall height of the tire without altering the diameter. Reducing tire sidewall height increases road "feel" whether wanted or not & reduces impact resistance. (leading cause of sidewall "bubbles") Increased wheel diameter also increases rotational inertia which resists acceleration & deceleration. Moving the mass or weight further from the axle or axis (bigger wheels) increases the leverage the mass has to resist change (acceleration &/or deceleration).
Old 04-20-10, 09:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

That shows how much lighter a lot of stock and non-alloy wheels have gotten over the years. At one time, aftermarket alloys, even some oversize ones, were considerably lighter than most stock wheels. Alloys, especially aftermarket ones, are made of special, light weight materials.....one reason for their relatively high expense.
Yes those with actual experience in selecting tire/wheel combos know this and a lot more. Not sure where the "at one time" comes from. Today the better alloy wheels are lighter than stock wheels, even the better cast wheels are under the weight of the OEM wheels.

Back on topic, the article really points out the degradation that occurs with adding unsprung weight.

Pearlpower brings up good points that would have made the article more meaningful.
Old 04-20-10, 09:30 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wheels may be getting lighter, but they are also a lot weaker and more damage prone. I've damaged several give modern alloy rims over the years just running over deep potholes. On the contrary, I once had tire blowout at 85-90mph in my old 94 GS300, the tire shred to pieces, but there was no damage to the OEM 16" alloy rim. It was one of these.

Old 04-20-10, 10:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
I think I saw some similar comparison from C&D back in the late 90s. Interesting read
I thought they did too.

Originally Posted by bagwell
great find Mike!

great info!
Originally Posted by meowCat
Absolutely.

Great find and thanks for posting it.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Weak article, what would have been interesting would be a test of larger yet lighter wheel vs the next size down. We all know the heavier the slower with associated decreases in performance/MPG.

Whereas some claim weight is everything, others will counter that the larger yet lighter wheel would be hampered by the rotating mass being further out, therefore offsetting any performance gained with the lighter wheels.
I think most people don't even think of the negatives, they just go for looks and put up with any gain in unsprung weight and loss of MPG.

Old 04-20-10, 10:59 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I think most people don't even think of the negatives, they just go for looks and put up with any gain in unsprung weight and loss of MPG.
The article certainly addresses that possibility and reports the impact.

But I think many of the enthusiasts on CL are better informed and do take into account tire/wheel weight when making selections. At least that is my observation of many of IS and IS-F owners on CL. But to your point, CL members are not most people.