Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New bike, just in time for spring...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 07:25 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New bike, just in time for spring...

It's not car but just wanted to share with my CL fam. Man, I haven't posted in a few YEARS I think.

Here are the details, '08 KTM Superduke 990, leftover w/200 miles on it - previous factory demo. It's down in SC right now. Let me tell you I can't wait to see that enclosed trailer with my bike on it!!

Here are some pics of the bike at the dealer, I'll update when she arrives.

Beastly looking thing.....

Old 03-14-10, 08:27 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

looks like something from transformers nice ride
Old 03-14-10, 10:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

looks very modern in design. BE CAREFUL ON THAT THING!!
Old 03-14-10, 11:05 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

It's like the Lamborghini Reventon of motorcycles...which is good.
Old 03-14-10, 11:09 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to learn to ride a bike, but in my city it's just asking for something unpleasant.
Old 03-14-10, 11:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ooooohhh!!!

A SUPER DUKE!!!

Almost got a used one a month before I got my Monster. A local BMW dealership has one (it's still there unsold). I would have gotten it if it was more city-worthy, but ultimately, the bike is too sadistic for everyday riding. It begs to be ridden hard, so it begs for the canyons and the occasional track day.

Enjoy it!
Old 03-14-10, 11:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

990 cc sounds like you need to know what you are doing. I am assuming this is not a bike for a novice
Old 03-15-10, 04:33 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that looks like a fun ride.
Old 03-15-10, 07:43 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Technics
It's not car but just wanted to share with my CL fam. Man, I haven't posted in a few YEARS I think.

Here are the details, '08 KTM Superduke 990, leftover w/200 miles on it - previous factory demo. It's down in SC right now. Let me tell you I can't wait to see that enclosed trailer with my bike on it!!

Here are some pics of the bike at the dealer, I'll update when she arrives.

Beastly looking thing.....

i went to bike week this year in Daytona, and i would never ever touch a demo bike regardless the discount!
Harley Dividson set up a 'Demo mock' 1/4 mile run with their left over 2009 V-rod. I participated and basically they had it strapped down on a dyno type machine and told us to launch it at redline and electronic shift (something they modified) at red line. The V-rods were running low 10s and just imagine the damage done.
They ran the event 3-4 times a day, with 3-4 riders each run, and each rider gets 2 trys. Bike week lasted for 7 days, so approximately the V-rods were launched at redline and "raced" 224 times throughout the event, given the tranny, clutch, engine didnt blow up!!

Given the bike's engine didnt blow up during the event, where do you think the V-rods are going to end up at?? ans: dealerships with steep discounts

Just hope that your bike didnt go through abuse like this.
Old 03-15-10, 07:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nice bike, use with care.
Old 03-15-10, 08:15 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick, love the Super Dukes. Be safe, NYC is not easy to ride in.
Old 03-15-10, 09:00 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Thanks fellas.

RXSF - Funny you mention Transformers because a lady in my office thought it was the bike from the Dark Knight. I was cracking up.

PhilipMSPT - no wonder you didn't get the 'Duke, you have a Ducati! I love the Monsters man, very nice machines. I wanted a bike that was brutal and uncivilized, sort of like a Viper for the streets. Duke is perfect.

I8ABMR - yes sir, definitely not a beginners bike. I was reading some articles where pro riders said the Duke caught them off guard, which is fun for a pro rider im sure but not good if you're just starting out, lol.
Old 03-15-10, 09:08 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ssmoked
i went to bike week this year in Daytona, and i would never ever touch a demo bike regardless the discount!
Harley Dividson set up a 'Demo mock' 1/4 mile run with their left over 2009 V-rod. I participated and basically they had it strapped down on a dyno type machine and told us to launch it at redline and electronic shift (something they modified) at red line. The V-rods were running low 10s and just imagine the damage done.
They ran the event 3-4 times a day, with 3-4 riders each run, and each rider gets 2 trys. Bike week lasted for 7 days, so approximately the V-rods were launched at redline and "raced" 224 times throughout the event, given the tranny, clutch, engine didnt blow up!!

Given the bike's engine didnt blow up during the event, where do you think the V-rods are going to end up at?? ans: dealerships with steep discounts

Just hope that your bike didnt go through abuse like this.
LOL, that sounds very destructive. It's a good thing the factory warranty is still applicable once title is transferred to me. KTM takes these bikes to Demo Days - factory setup road courses in parking lots. Supposedly all demo rides were "supervised" and you're not allowed to exceed 30mph. Do I believe it? Well Im sure the bike has been ridden hard somewhere in those 200 miles over the past two years but I would liken it to new car that's been "test driven". Either way, if it's been abused, Im sure it will be apparent on my first ride. Im not sweating it.
Old 03-15-10, 09:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Technics
I wanted a bike that was brutal and uncivilized, sort of like a Viper for the streets. Duke is perfect.
Brutal and uncivilized? The Duke sound perfect.

Just be careful of Manhattan/Queens traffic. I wouldn't dare to ride anything like the Super Duke in it.

I can only think of one bike that I'd conquer NYC traffic with:
Attached Thumbnails New bike, just in time for spring...-piaggio1.jpg   New bike, just in time for spring...-piaggio2.jpg  

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 03-15-10 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-15-10, 09:20 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

PhilipMSPT & Mbenz528i, you guys are absolutely right, this bike won't be seeing any NYC traffic at all. All my NYC trips will be in the SC.

This bike will be primarily used in upstate NY, lot's of open highway, much less traffic but in my opinion less skilled drivers as well!! NYC drivers are wreckless but at least they know how to handle a car. People upstate just can't drive period! LMAO.

Philip, I can't see the pics!

Quick Reply: New bike, just in time for spring...