Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus is set to launch a five-door compact hatchback at September’s Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 01:00 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

America does not like hatchbacks or mini wagons. So many recent failures with them here. I hope they can pull this off.
They did say they wanted to introduce more affordable cars that appeal to younger people. I rather see them do a modern day Integra or RSX coupe. An affordable premium coupe with the Lexus name would move out of showrooms well.
Old 07-24-09, 03:09 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as it's not just an Auris with a new grille and a bit of leather it should go down quite well. Audi A3s and BMW - 1 series sell well and it would be good to have another alternative. My main worry is that the new GM (Vauxhall) Astra looks very good, the Golf and the Focus are class leaders and Lexus might find themselves squeezed between those and the recognised premium offerings.
Old 07-24-09, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
America does not like hatchbacks or mini wagons. So many recent failures with them here. I hope they can pull this off.
They did say they wanted to introduce more affordable cars that appeal to younger people.
Hatchbacks and small wagons DO sell here in America, but mostly to younger people. The problem is that, with the exception of the IS, a lot of younger people simply stay away from Lexus, period, hatchback or sedan. Many of them don't have the kind of money a new Lexus costs. That's why Lexus needs to introduce something in the 20-30K range, like the old Infiniti G20 and Acura Integra....the Integra was a huge success. To date, Lexus has refused to market anything in the U.S. that is under 30K.
Old 07-24-09, 06:57 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What has me REALLy interested is will there be more than one hybrid engine option?
Currently there is only one engine hybrid for each model.
Will this car offer multiple hybrid options? It makes sense as there are multiple diesel options.

Pretty cool to think you could pick a hybrid powertrain for more economy or one with more power...
That would be cool, but Lexus typically trademarks a few names at a time- probably to psych out the press and people like us who go poking around for the info.

For the new RX they trademarked RX 430h, RX 440h, and RX 450h and for the new LX they trademarked LX 550, LX 570, and LX 600. While it would be cool to see them offer two or even three hybrid powertrains, I wouldn't anticipate it based on the trademark filings.

Also, too bad this car won't be RWD. Toyota offers a lot of great small cars in Europe that we don't get here, and I wonder if some of them will be indirect competition for the new entry level car. If they had made it RWD that would be a cool differentiator from the smaller Toyotas and other small cars except the 1 series, though with it being a hybrid I would imagine people won't be entitled to thrash it around much.