CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 09:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Since the HS 250h only has one engine available, I have a hard time thinking that Lexus will create a CT 400h...and to be honest a CT 300h would surprise me. They will have to differentiate these two models somehow, and I am betting that engine size will be a key factor. For those of you holding our for one based on trademark filings, please remember that Lexus trademarked LX 550, LX 570, and LX 600, and we obviously only got one model. The same thing has happened in other instances, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also, why are they still using Nickel Metal Hydride batteries? I thought Lithium Ion was supposed be viable...oh...pretty much now. Some manufacturers are already using it.

The more I consider the logistics of this car the less I like it. Matrix platform, Prius drivetrain, uninspiring exterior design...where is the ground-breaking, dramatic car we were promised?

This is like HS deja vu all over again: Lexus just hand picked smaller cars from the Toyota stable, applied the same shuffling of platforms and engines, and came up with a new name.

I'm sick of being let down by this company lately. The LFA has been the only exciting thing in the last few years, and I am really, really concerned about the next GS.

In terms of design...
CT - fail
HS - fail
RX - fail
GX - fail
ISc - fail
LFA - full of MF'ing win

The odds aren't looking good.
Toyota wants to make sure lithium ion batteries meet their reliability standards, and also to have a big enough supply of the batteries ready to go for new models.

Design is subjective, we don't need to beat that dead horse of an argument. Odds aren't looking good in your opinion, but in my opinion the next GS could be a nice design.

Not to derail this thread but I have seen my fair share of GXs lately and I'm just disgusted with the design. The old truck was rugged and handsome looking with some charm and the new one...just ugh. They stripped every bit of body cladding and definition off the flanks, smoothed out fender flares, and instead went for this ultra "clean, smooth" look. The end result looks like a Highlander from the side and a 4Runner from the rear. There's just nothing about it that I even remotely like. A coworker of mine just got one and I drove past it the other morning and thought in the back of my head, "Oh... nice, clean 4Runner". When I went to leave I was facing the back, saw the emblem and thought, "Oh crap that's a GX."

As for the RX, as said above, it just looks swollen to me. The rounded, jelly bean thing and hamster cheeks just aren't my cup of tea. I have to admit that I like the 450h a lot- maybe the 19" wheels help make it look more proportionate in my mind or something. I just feel like the old RX looked a little smoother and more lithe- less fat.

By all indications, I think that L-Finesse looked promising in the beginning but has been downhill ever since the LS. Almost every redesigned car is simply way too plain looking or flat awkward. Somehow the IS, GS, ES and LS all made it out of the studio relatively well and still look wonderful IMO- restrained, elegant, upscale, good proportions and awesome detailing. The HS with its tacky aero add-ons, tall and awkward stance, and lumpy profile looks decidedly downmarket. This CT, judging by the pictures, has suffered the same bland and boring fate as many others.

I just hope some revolution of LFinesse is around the corner, but each redesign keeps telling me different.
I find it interesting that you think the IS, ES, GS, and LS are restrained, elegant, upscale, and have good proportions, yet the CT is bland and boring.

I see this as a case of the cup being half empty compared to half full.

I can strongly argue the CT is just as elegant, upscale, and has nice proportions as the Lexus sedans (excluding HS).

The only real point you have is the HS, as objectively speaking it is fairly tall and narrow, along with a high hood.

Judging by your comments, it seems you don't have a full grasp of the CT's actual dimensions. The CT is quite low, wide, and has very pronounced shoulders which makes it far from bland and boring.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Speaking of the interior...

Anyone notice the resemblance? The silver tri spoke design is incorporated to the CT's wheel as well as the airbag unit. Button placement for the volume controls and etc are within a thumb's reach. Notice the steering wheel diameter and the wheel thickness? Looks very promising. It looks a lot better than my ISF's steering wheel that's for sure!

(quoted from the HS thread in the Prototypes forum)
Definitely there is a resemblance. I'm surprised others haven't mentioned it, but the CT steering wheel is awesome!

There is also the gauge cluster lighting changing to red in sport mode, and the power meter switching to a tach. That is another LFA influence, with customizable and moving gauges and meters in the cluster.

I'm expecting the CT to have a few other surprises we don't know of yet.

Also not much has been said about the CT's front seats; they look quite nice and sporty.

I also think the rear tail lights are wonderful, and have that trademark Lexus jewel-like look to them with awesome detailing.

I really can't wait to see the next-gen GS and IS, and how they incorporate LFA cues and technology.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
they did a decent job in translation.

the concept had bigger wheel wells and wheels, so it looked more sporty

it also had a more swoopy rear door glass.

production version has a bigger back glass which eats into the door glass.
I wonder if the concept version had bad rear side visibility...
Good comparison shot .

Proof that the production car is quite close to the concept, and that the front overhang is not that long.
Old 02-23-10, 09:01 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

There are so many options that I would pick over this production version. If it was the concept "yellow" version, it would have been bumped up to top choices.

Not digging the new wave of Lexus design pattern. Beginning of L finesse was doing good, anything 2010+ is ugly =/
Old 02-23-10, 09:17 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not too bad, don't even notice the weird doors so much anymore
Attached Thumbnails New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut-15wym4p.jpg  
Old 02-23-10, 09:37 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Not to derail this thread but I have seen my fair share of GXs lately and I'm just disgusted with the design. The old truck was rugged and handsome looking with some charm and the new one....
I have not much problem with the design of the exterior, my big issue is with the interior design and powertrain credentials....the interior has become too tight and cramped, as for the powertrain, big, big, big letdown to me. NO IRS and tow capacity is still 6500lbs and I cannot believe it only has 301hp...

As for the RX, as said above, it just looks swollen to me. The rounded, jelly bean thing and hamster cheeks just aren't my cup of tea. I have to admit that I like the 450h a lot- maybe the 19" wheels help make it look more proportionate in my mind or something. I just feel like the old RX looked a little smoother and more lithe- less fat.
The RX looks great to me. Outside and inside, it looks premium and Lexux like in every way.

By all indications, I think that L-Finesse looked promising in the beginning but has been downhill ever since the LS. Almost every redesigned car is simply way too plain looking or flat awkward. Somehow the IS, GS, ES and LS all made it out of the studio relatively well and still look wonderful IMO- restrained, elegant, upscale, good proportions and awesome detailing. The HS with its tacky aero add-ons, tall and awkward stance, and lumpy profile looks decidedly downmarket. This CT, judging by the pictures, has suffered the same bland and boring fate as many others.

I just hope some revolution of LFinesse is around the corner, but each redesign keeps telling me different
Not a fan of 2007-2010 L-finese designs. I can't stand them, with the exception of the LX and RX...

As for next gen cars. I do like the styling of the HS, I don't mind ISc, I like the grille updates of the GSh and LS600, LSsport works for me so much more than standard LS460, and I am really digging this CT..I can't stop looking at the pics of the interior design....really well done design IMO
Old 02-23-10, 09:40 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

tried to get the color kinda similar but I don't think it really worked
Attached Thumbnails New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut-15wym4p.jpg   New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut-15wym4p2.jpg  
Old 02-23-10, 09:42 PM
Mind18
Driver

I would almost take a Matrix over this, outside of the much better interior on the Lexus. To me the wheels look to small, ala Prius, and dislike how the passenger door window is so much smaller than the actual door, extending the cut line a good deal behind. From the side it's a FX + IS.

Old 02-23-10, 09:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Mind18
I would almost take a Matrix over this, outside of the much better interior on the Lexus. To me the wheels look to small, ala Prius, and dislike how the passenger door window is so much smaller than the actual door, extending the cut line a good deal behind. From the side it's a FX + IS.

Looks are subjective. I personally think the Pontiac Vibe has always looked better than the Matrix, both 1st and 2nd generations.

The CT is a hybrid. The Matrix is not. The CT is a Lexus and the Matrix is a Toyota. Apples and oranges.
Old 02-23-10, 10:20 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Even though the pics are blurry, the design is lukewarm... at best. The general shape etc is there, but it pretty much lost all character going to production form. Crazy how 17in wheels on this tiny *** car look like 14's. I actually thought that the CT would be the first Lexus outside of the LFA with great (better would even be acceptable) wheel fitment. What also is missing is the slightly flared fenders from the concept which helped with that aggressive stance. The hoffmeister kink is atrocious and it single handedly ruins the design from the side. It pushes the window to far forward making the car look short and stubby. They also did a pretty crappy job adding round foglights to a vertical opening. Whats sad is the fact that I expected Lexus to completely fudge that minor detail.

Inside, as others have posted, immediately reminded me of the 1-series. And just like the 1-series, there is to much stark black plastic with strips of painted silver. While I find the layout to be very nice, it needs some detail work. ANd I also think the tach is a cool feature, but doubt it will be as advanced as the LFA's. Im sure one ring lights up while the other is not and vice versa.

With all that said, even though Lexus let me down (yet again), I'd still take this over that piece of crap HS.
Old 02-23-10, 10:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

In terms of design...
CT - fail
HS - fail
RX - fail
GX - fail
ISc - fail
LFA - full of MF'ing win

Damn, funny how much we have agreed on automotive design the past couple of years. Those vehicles are pretty damn forgettable (Some of them I wish I could forget) and ho-hum. Oh well.

Last edited by GFerg; 02-23-10 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 10:43 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

the front looks too much like Auris
Attached Thumbnails New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut-2009-toyota-auris-hsd-full-hybrid-concept-side-view-588x441.jpg  
Old 02-24-10, 08:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

I find it interesting that you think the IS, ES, GS, and LS are restrained, elegant, upscale, and have good proportions, yet the CT is bland and boring.
The difference is that IS and GS came out almost 5 years ago, while ES and LS were 4, and they have all aged very well and still look great. This CT isn't even out yet so we're looking at a good 6-7 years before we see a new one...does this design look like it will hold up well for that long? To me, the front end looks like any generic Asian sedan, the side profile is bland, and the rear end is pretty cool. This looks like something that should have come out in '05-'06. I also feel like the front end looks huge in comparison to the rear which looks rather small...the proportions are just off in my eyes. I really can't explain it any other way.

I see this as a case of the cup being half empty compared to half full.
Based on my prior comments regarding the concept, I went into this with high aspirations. Next year I'll be looking for a new car and this might have made the list if it was better looking, providing it even comes to America.

Judging by your comments, it seems you don't have a full grasp of the CT's actual dimensions. The CT is quite low, wide, and has very pronounced shoulders which makes it far from bland and boring.
I think we are looking at two different things. I am looking at the shapes, the lines, the proportions, flow, etc and you seem to be looking at the stance. A Panamera is low, wide, and has pronounced styling cues as well. Does that make it pretty?

Lexus could have simply done more with this car. The essential formula of a hot hybrid hatch had people all over the internet abuzz and they came up with something that, IMO, looks very bland and generic. If Lexus was ever going to push the envelope they should have done it in a car like this considering the targeted age group and the very type of vehicle that it is. A more dynamic, dramatic design is often more acceptable on a hatch than it is on a full size luxury sedan. They should have opened up a little and done something dramatic, but what we got is really anything but. That is my point.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 02-24-10 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-24-10, 08:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Even though the pics are blurry, the design is lukewarm... at best. The general shape etc is there, but it pretty much lost all character going to production form. Crazy how 17in wheels on this tiny *** car look like 14's. I actually thought that the CT would be the first Lexus outside of the LFA with great (better would even be acceptable) wheel fitment. What also is missing is the slightly flared fenders from the concept which helped with that aggressive stance. The hoffmeister kink is atrocious and it single handedly ruins the design from the side. It pushes the window to far forward making the car look short and stubby. They also did a pretty crappy job adding round foglights to a vertical opening. Whats sad is the fact that I expected Lexus to completely fudge that minor detail.

Inside, as others have posted, immediately reminded me of the 1-series. And just like the 1-series, there is to much stark black plastic with strips of painted silver. While I find the layout to be very nice, it needs some detail work. ANd I also think the tach is a cool feature, but doubt it will be as advanced as the LFA's. Im sure one ring lights up while the other is not and vice versa.

With all that said, even though Lexus let me down (yet again), I'd still take this over that piece of crap HS.
As usual...agreed
Old 02-24-10, 09:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

The pics are kinda blurry.......BUT based on what I'm seeing (right now):

This thing looks kinda neat. Makes the HS250h exterior look like ****
Old 02-24-10, 10:00 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

In terms of design...
CT - fail
HS - fail
RX - fail
GX - fail
ISc - fail
LFA - full of MF'ing win

I agree. I am almost afraid to see any new Lexus now.
Old 02-24-10, 10:58 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I'm very disappointed. i didn't like the weird front, but i hate the vanilla front more. i hate A1, 1 series, and now i hate lexus CT

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut