Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar XJ Coupe In the Pipeline, says Ian Callum

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 07:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 198 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ Coupe In the Pipeline, says Ian Callum

Jaguar XJ Coupe – In the Pipeline

As if the release of the all-new Jaguar XJ wasn’t exciting enough, we’ve been blown away by news from Jaguar’s Director of Design Ian Callum that his team have already started sketching an XJC version.

The original Jaguar XJC was a two-door Coupe built between 1975-1978 and was based on the short wheelbase version of the Series Two Jaguar XJ. Though the car sold in pretty limited numbers, today, the car’s elegant proportions, pillarless door frames and vinyl roof have acquired cult status.

This latest version of the XJC isn’t anywhere near sign-off, but no car could so ardently celebrate the respectful transition to modernity Ian Callum has made with the Jaguar brand. It was all bowling greens and elbow patches before his arrival in 1999, and now we're (potentially) looking at a Jaguar XJC featuring a full-length glass roof, 21in rims and the new XJ's hi-tech cabin. Having this level of creative rope extended at Jaguar has only been possible because Callum remains one of the most powerful (and benign) men in the car industry.

If the new Jaguar XJC moves beyond the sketch board, we reckon it could be game over for the Mercedes CL.

Words: Jon Quirk
Illustration: Owen Ready
SOURCE with video

If they make it, I would probably take this over the Mercedes CL coupe any day ...
Old 07-16-09, 08:32 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
If they make it, I would probably take this over the Mercedes CL coupe any day ...
The article suggests game over for the CL, but I say Game on! I would have to wait for the final production version before deciding this or the CL, but it is a welcome entry into the Lux Coupe segment. Currently we have only a few entries and if you don't feel like ponying up $150K for a Bently GT, the CL wins everytime. But nothing like a little friendly (well, maybe not friendly) competition to boost this segment.

LEXUS, are you listening?
Old 07-16-09, 08:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 198 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
The article suggests game over for the CL, but I say Game on! I would have to wait for the final production version before deciding this or the CL, but it is a welcome entry into the Lux Coupe segment. Currently we have only a few entries and if you don't feel like ponying up $150K for a Bently GT, the CL wins everytime. But nothing like a little friendly (well, maybe not friendly) competition to boost this segment.

LEXUS, are you listening?
I don't think it's game over for the CL as the article suggest, there are always that die-hard fan base that will buy it just because it's a Mercedes, but the current CL-class exterior design does not appeal to me, especially compared to the new Jag coupe as depicted above. And I have no doubt the new Jag coupe will be even more appealing than the sedan.

As for a large Lexus coupe based on the LS, I have almost no hope for that, Lexus usually avoids low volume cars, and the CL-class, even with it being the only one available in it's price range(except the CL65 AMG which is in Bentley territory), has always been a low volume seller. It sells much less than even the SL-Class, which is not a high volume model itself.
Old 07-16-09, 01:14 PM
LexFather

THat pic was done from some guy on VWVOrtex lol....

I think its a great idea!! A nice sexy big coupe from Jaguar.

Old 07-16-09, 05:17 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

That looks much better than the sedan , looks like a Bentley rear.

Just took another look, speaking of copying I had to run to my garage to see if they stole my IS wheels!

Last edited by Byprodrive; 07-16-09 at 05:19 PM. Reason: comment
Old 03-08-10, 09:30 PM
LexFather

Post Jaguar XJ Coupe rendered

Mercedes-Benz has the soon-to-be renamed CL Coupe and BMW has the 6-Series, two high-end coupes or 'grand tourers' that compete in a relatively exclusive segment--even Audi has the upcoming A7 four-door coupe--so it wouldn’t be too surprising to see Jaguar launch a new two-door version of its stunning XJ flagship.

The automaker’s already acknowledged that it's working on hybrid versions of its new aluminum-bodied sedan and during a media gala event at the launch of the 2010 Jaguar XJ, the car’s design director Ian Callum acknowledged that a coupe version was at least in the minds of the British brand's directors.

An XJ Coupe has already been penned, Callum revealed but the chances of the car making production are slim given Jaguar’s current financial situation and scheduled launch of a new XE roadster.

Still, we can at least dream of what a new XJ coupe could like and these latest computer-generated renderings do just that. If the car were given the green light, there’s a chance that it could be on the road by the end of next year in time for the 2012 model year.

A two-door XJ would be the first in the company's lineup since 1978, when it sold the XJC. That car was a short-wheelbase version of the contemporary XJ sedan, and the same philosophy and mechanicals could work with the new car. Jaguar still offers its XK Coupe and Convertible, but moved those vehicles smartly into Porsche 911 territory when it redesigned them in 2007.

http://www.motorauthority.com/...coupe

Old 03-08-10, 09:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If they do it, it needs to be bolder.

You want it to look like a Bentley, not a Solara...
Old 03-09-10, 07:25 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i will take the 4door,,,i never like 2door coupe unless its convertible,,,
Old 03-09-10, 10:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My preference would be a mid-sized coupe, not that the volume would be that high.
Old 03-09-10, 10:12 AM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Sharp... if they went with two more doors they could wipe the Benz CL off the map.
Old 03-09-10, 05:04 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Looks good but they need to put more effort on quality.

Some one at work has an XF sedan.

Some one had it flat bedded out of the lot this afternoon.
Old 03-09-10, 05:34 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I think this has some serious potential.
Old 03-09-10, 06:53 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks nice, but will never happen.