Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Future Car Plans: (May scrap car names for numbers/letters)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 11:53 PM
LexFather

Post Kia Future Car Plans: (May scrap car names for numbers/letters)

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...ans/index.html

Kia's next-generation Amanti will switch from front-wheel-drive to parent company Hyundai's Genesis rear-wheel-drive platform, Motor Trend has learned. The car is expected to launch after the new front-drive Optima, which is scheduled for next summer. The moves will further advance Kia's aggressive makeover, which has been boosted lately by the Soul youth-market hatchback and the recently launched Forte and Forte Koup (coming later this summer) compacts.
People Who Like This Also Like

It should also provide some embarrassment to companies like General Motors and Ford, which have canceled rear-drive projects in recent years thanks to limited capital resources and concerns over fuel economy standards. (see thats why I hate these mags, no mention of, ACURA who also canceled these plans..they just love beating up the Americans)

We expect the RWD Amanti to be cheaper, sportier looking and slightly smaller than the Hyundai Genesis sedan, possibly with the same 2.0-liter turbo four and 3.8-liter V-6 engine options of the Genesis coupe, but not the Tau V-8. The current Amanti starts at around $26,000 and is powered by a 3.8-liter V-6 with 264 horsepower. Expect the new Amanti (the car's name could also change) by the end of 2011.

Hybrid power is likely also on the way for U.S. market Kias as well. This week, Hyundai officially launched its Elantra LPI in Korea, a hybrid that mates a liquefied petroleum injected 1.6L engine with a lithium ion polymer battery pack.

While we won't see that combination, Hyundai is preparing to launch its first gasoline-electric hybrid -- a version of the Sonata -- in the second half of 2010 in the U.S., with the powertrain slated for the Optima sometime in 2011. Speaking of Optima, the new model coming next year is expected to be launched about the same time as a five-door hatch version of the Forte. Right behind them will be updated versions of the Rio and Rondo. Also on the drawing board are a dedicated hybrid model in 2012 and a plug-in hybrid in 2013.

On the sport utility front, Kia will have no 2010 model year Sorento. The all-new version will launch early next year as a 2011 model, and it switches from the current body-on-frame platform to a unibody platform based on the front-drive Sonata/Optima. It will be offered with two or three rows of seats, a panoramic sunroof option and choice of four-cylinder or V-6 engines coupled to a six-speed automatic transmission.

All Sorentos for sale in North America will be sourced from Kia's new Georgia assembly plant. Also coming is an updated Sportage sometime in 2010. By the 2012 model year, it's expected that the just launched Borrego will be the oldest model in the Kia lineup.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-10-09 at 12:02 AM.

Old 07-10-09, 05:14 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Acura was not mention was maybe because Kia/Hyundai is not a direct competitor for Acura, but more like Honda/Toyota/GM/Ford. Yes there are some cars in their lineup that compete with Acura but not the whole line up.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-10-09, 05:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It should also provide some embarrassment to companies like General Motors and Ford, which have canceled rear-drive projects in recent years thanks to limited capital resources and concerns over fuel economy standards. (see thats why I hate these mags, no mention of, ACURA who also canceled these plans..they just love beating up the Americans)
That may be fine for now, but wait another 5-6 years when the new 35-36 MPG CAFE standards kick in. Cancelling large RWD platforms might not turn out to have been such a bad idea. A lot, of course, will depend on how efficient they can make these platforms, especially with a RWD/AWD option. I suspect we will see at least some of them with diesel, hybrid, or alternate-fuel powerplants.

I've driven the Amati, and I don't see anything wrong with the current FWD platform, or that of its sister Hyundai Azera. IMO, Hyundai and Kia don't need to waste time and money on this project.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-09 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-10-09, 06:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

From all reports the Azera and Amanti are good cars. If they're going to keep them around, Hyundai/Kia need to do something to make them sell.

YTD in North America, Amanti 3,371 (169 in June!) and Azera 1,951 (313 in June!). It makes you wonder what their future is.
Old 07-10-09, 08:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by wmb0000
I think Acura was not mention was maybe because Kia/Hyundai is not a direct competitor for Acura, but more like Honda/Toyota/GM/Ford. Yes there are some cars in their lineup that compete with Acura but not the whole line up.

Just my opinion.
Acura is on part with Honda/Toyota/GM/Ford....they don't have a RWD vehicle....they should have been mentioned for canceling their program IMO...

Kia already has a V-8 and Acura doesn't. Now they will have RWD and Acura doesn't. Just more continued embarrassment for them.

The sketch looks decent.

Old 07-10-09, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura is on part with Honda/Toyota/GM/Ford....they don't have a RWD vehicle.
How does that make Acura on a par with these companies? Ford has several RWD vehicles......Mustang, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and a number of F-series trucks. GM has the RWD Camaro, Pontiac G8 (for now), Solstice/Sky, Corvette, Cadillac CTS, and, of course, its trucks. Toyota has the RWD Tundra, Sequoia, and Tacoma.

Kia already has a V-8 and Acura doesn't. Now they will have RWD and Acura doesn't. Just more continued embarrassment for them.
I still don't see how that's an embarassment. VW, Subaru, Saturn, Saab (except for the about-to-be-discontinued 9-7X), Suzuki, and even Porsche don't offer V8's, and you don't seem to be panning them. Of course, I realize that the design and drivetrain layout of some of those vehicles doesn't allow for V8s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-09 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 04:30 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Porsche don't offer V8's
Porsche Cayenne (Available 4.8 liter, V8)
Old 07-10-09, 05:23 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever heard of the Touareg v8 FSI? Or the W8 Passat (I guess not a V8)? Lol come on mmarahall.
Old 07-10-09, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Twinkie2000
Porsche Cayenne (Available 4.8 liter, V8)
Yes. Thanks. I forgot that one.
Old 07-10-09, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Ever heard of the Touareg v8 FSI? Or the W8 Passat (I guess not a V8)? Lol come on mmarahall.
The Passat W8 was dropped some time ago....it proved too expensive for many people ($40,000, loaded) and did not sell well. But, yes, you are correct about the Touraeg.

The W8 was actually formed by combining two banks of narrow-angle (15 degree) banks around a common crankshaft. The same principle was used for the Phaeton W12, by combining two narrow-angle 15-degree VR6 engines around a common crankshaft. It was actually a good idea, and gave a neat, relatively compact package.
Old 06-28-10, 07:28 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Other Future Plans

SEOUL -- Kia Motors is considering changing its U.S. lineup nomenclature from product names to alphanumerics.

The move is being considered at the highest levels of the Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group. In a recent interview, Hyundai Motor Co. Vice Chairman Chung Eui-Sun said the company is considering the change.

Kia's lineup in South Korea and some other markets already is partially alphanumeric. In Korea, the mid-sized sedan based on what was known as the Optima is named the K5, a large sedan known as Cadenza in some markets -- but not yet sold in the United States -- is named the K7, and the Forte likely will become the K3.

But many Kia vehicles, such as the Morning, Pride, Koup, Soul and Sportage still retain their English nomenclature in South Korea.

Chung said a decision on product names has not been made. He said he understands American buyers may prefer a car with a name, especially if an extended product lineup makes alphanumerics confusing. But he also thinks alphanumerics can increase the strength of an auto brand.
Old 06-28-10, 08:04 AM
LexFather

Please please keep names. We don't need another brand especially non luxury brand trying to sound luxury by using ridiculous letters and numbers they just jumble together.

Old 06-28-10, 08:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this is quite unnecessary.

I would prefer AWD over a RWD choice for these large family sedans...
Old 06-28-10, 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please please keep names. We don't need another brand especially non luxury brand trying to sound luxury by using ridiculous letters and numbers they just jumble together.
Mazda tried that with the Miata/MX-5 a few years ago, and not only did owners rebel, but the auto press as well.