Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 06:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)

Hyundai will start promoting the Equus this summer by importing 100 examples to display in showrooms
Hyundai has developed a new large luxury saloon called the Equus, which it sells in its home market of South Korea as well as a few select markets around the world. Latest reports indicate that the car could eventually be sold in the U.S. as a rival to luxury flagships such as the Mercedes Benz S-Class and Lexus LS, but with a price tag substantially lower than its competitors.

The information comes from a Hyundai insider, who revealed to Automotive News that the Equus will almost certainly arrive in U.S. showrooms by July of next year. The insider went on to reveal that the Equus will be priced below $60,000. Its closest competitor will be the Lexus LS 460, which starts at $64,700 including shipping. In South Korea the Equus is priced from $50,000 but a fully loaded version can range up to $81,000 in price.

We won’t have to wait until next year to see the Equus on local roads, however. At April’s New York Auto Show Hyundai displayed its flagship to help gauge the public's reaction and find out how much people would actually be willing to pay for it. The event proved so successful that Hyundai has already confirmed that it will bring 100 examples to showcase in dealerships all around the country this summer.

Having won the 2009 North American Car of the Year award for its Genesis Sedan, Hyundai is hoping to capitalize on this success. The Equus, after all, is based on the same RWD platform as the award winning Genesis.

Measuring in at a generous 5,160mm in length, 1,900mm in width and 1,495mm in height, the Equus certainly has the luxury saloon size factor. The powertrain lineup is also respectable, with the Equus available with a 286hp (213kW) 3.8L Lambda V6 and a 361hp (269kW) 4.6L Tau V8. A long-wheelbase model will eventually be offered, complete with a brand new 5.0L version of the Tau V8. This new 5.0L unit is likely to be the sole powertrain used for U.S. versions.

Some of the possible options include tilting rear seats, massagers and TV screens in the rear seats.
Source
Old 06-29-09, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, the Equus will have its work cut out for it if it is going up against the LS460. Though there are some things I don't like on the present LS460 quite as much as the previous LS400/430 (lower-profile tires, slightly thinner sheet metal, slightly more plasticized interior, etc....) a good arguement can still be made that the LS is the finest production luxury car in the world short of the $300,000 Rolls-Royce/Maybach class. It certainly is the quietest gas-powered car I have ever driven....possibly along with the huge 1969 Lincoln Continental.

Hyundai, though, has done some astonishing work with its products in the last 8-10 years, so it remains to be seen what they will do with the Equus.
Old 06-29-09, 06:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
slightly more plasticized interior, etc.....
It depends on the option package you choose for the LS, the base model and lower trim models have more plastic in the interior, but if you choose those higher packages that comes with the premium semi-aniline leather, you get more leather on the doors(the base model only has leather on the armrest/handle), and the executive package in Canada gets leather on the glove box door as well. Of course, the 600hL gets a full leather covered dash as well, so it depends on the trim level of the car that you've driven ...
Old 06-29-09, 08:51 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Hyundai is going to bring in a competitor to the LS460 it BETTER be under 60 grand. Anything over 60 grand as a base price would constitute instantaneous failure on Hyundai's part.

In fact I think they need to be able to claim "starting under 50k" for a car that's truly on-par with the LS460 before they're going to make any headway.

We're talking flagship cars here. This category more than any other has buyers with dispensable income that they don't mind tossing toward a car with a name they recognize and trust, a name with prestige among their piers, and a name that has treated them well in the past with dealer service and reliability.

Alternatively if they managed to make a car that's clearly better than the LS460 then the 'under 60k' may fly... but if would have to be clearly better in most ways and on par in the remaining ways for people to sit up and take notice. We're talking about "Bentley kinda car for LS460 kinda money".

Really though, 15 grand under the LS460 for a car as good or better than the LS460 is the point they need to hit before those people even start to glance in the direction of the Equus. They also absolutely need to completely overhaul their dealer network. One of the primary reasons I scratched the Genesis off my list, as much as I liked the car itself, was the hole in the wall dealer I went to. It was like a ghost town... barely anyone working there, extremely old antiquated looking sales floor and shop, and sales people who really seemed to regard the Genesis as a foreign object. The question of loaner cars for example... they had no idea. They said something to the effect of 'they could probably get me a loaner' when I brought my Genesis in but they'd have to check. I don't want 'maybe you'll get special treatment just because I asked, but no guarantees'... I want there to be some sort of written standard. If they're going to sell luxury cars they need to have a written standard for how they're going to sell and service them. This will become even more important if they expect to sell the Equus.
Old 06-29-09, 08:56 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If people didn't buy a $30k VW, then why would they buy a $60k Hyundai?
Old 06-29-09, 09:03 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

this is going to fail like the Phaeton. Nobody wants a cheap premium car in this segment. its closest competitor is the avalon.
Old 06-29-09, 09:11 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mindset Hyundai will have to have here is that of accepting losses for in-roads.

They need to plan to lose money on these new luxury segment cars and lose it at the expense of turning heads with great cars for ridiculous prices and great customer service.

VW did NOT do that with the Phaeton. The Phaeton wasn't really that strong of a value proposition and the dealer service setup was half-assed (granted it was still better than Hyundai has done thus far with the Genesis).

They need to plan on at least 5 years of this before people start taking them seriously as a consideration for luxury cars, but even then their niche will remain "bargain luxury" for a long time if not forever.
Old 06-29-09, 09:48 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

If they want to start labeling the Equus as "luxury", their #1 priority will have to be a more upscale looking dealership.
I have yet to see a decent looking Hyundai dealership. One around here looks a like a used car dealer.
I'm liking the equus more than the genesis though
Old 06-29-09, 10:25 AM
LexFather

I think it will do okay if sales goals are a modest 1000 or so a month. This is the right time to continue to launch luxury cars without the badge. A lot of people continue to want to buy nice things but don't want to advertise it.

Hyundai continues to get bashed by people who probably would NEVER buy a Hyundai. There clearly are those that want and GIVE the brand a chance in this market. The Genesis sells decently well considering its a 32k-45k HYUNDAI. This Equus needs to start close to where the Genesis leaves, I agree with Threxx here. Closer to under 50k to 70k+ or so. If a LS is 64-70k and the Equus is 58-64k, people will just buy the LS.

Its quite amazing to think that Hyundai is completely embarrassing Acura right now and now has a flagship and Infiniti, Lincoln, Volvo, Saab do not. Seriously who the hell would have thought this was possible ten years ago. Those brands should be completely ashamed of themselves and basically take off the luxury badge and call them Chevy's or something.

Its amazing to think people may be more inclined to buy a 60k Hyundai before those other brands. Amazing.

Old 06-29-09, 11:21 AM
LexFather

STRATEGY 2009 -- BRANDON YEA AND JANG SEOK-SAN

Hyundai counts on luxury, hybrid hopes

Hans Greimel

Automotive News | October 27, 2008 - 12:01 am EST

Even as its U.S. sales have declined this year, Hyundai Motor Co. has coped with the market downturn better than many of its competitors, thanks to its lineup of small, fuel-efficient vehicles.

Amid the industry turmoil, Hyundai seeks to move upscale with the launch of its near-luxury Hyundai Genesis. It also is pursuing an ambitious hybrid strategy and working to differentiate the Hyundai and Kia brands.

Brandon Yea, 50, senior vice president of Hyundai-Kia marketing, and Jang Seok-san, 54, senior vice president of Hyundai export coordination, discussed the company's business outlook with Asia Editor Hans Greimel at Hyundai headquarters in Seoul.

What are your sales targets for the Genesis?

Jang: Our objective is 55,000 cars worldwide (in the first full year of sales). We are looking for 20,000 in America for the full year. The big markets will be Korea, the United States, China and the Middle East.

The Genesis coupe is separate. We assigned 40,000 for next year. About 28,000 will be in the United States.

Old 06-29-09, 11:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Originally Posted by RXSF
this is going to fail like the Phaeton. Nobody wants a cheap premium car in this segment. its closest competitor is the avalon.
ROFL - you guys crack me up. hyundai is on a roll. Slegacy99, to answer your question, VW doesn't have a great car like Genesis in the U.S. to lay some ground work. RXSF - 60k or whatever may be less expensive than competition, but it's not cheap. similar things were said when lexus had the 'audacity' to come out with the original LS400 for just under $40k and blow away mercedes prices for example.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
If they want to start labeling the Equus as "luxury", their #1 priority will have to be a more upscale looking dealership.
I have yet to see a decent looking Hyundai dealership. One around here looks a like a used car dealer.
the one in my town is way better than a used car dealer. not stunning, but not bad. and even in my little town i'm seeing more and more genesis on the road. that is a great looking car. destroys lexus ES for example in presence.

I'm liking the equus more than the genesis though
well it's got a lot more 'stuff' so not surprising.

i want hyundai to grow, and i want lexus to respond with awesomeness, as i know they can!! acura just doesn't seem to be into going upscale - that's their loss.
Old 06-29-09, 11:54 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's possible for this car to make it, it may even be possible that now is actually a decent time to launch such a car and here's why I think this.

The economy went down the drain, all these people that were used to having nice luxury things couldn't keep buying the $100k cars, but a $60k car might fit the bill for those who think they need a new something.

The car isn't ugly, it kinda looks like a re-styled Lex if you ask me, so that's good for Hyundai. Personally, I'm not crazy about it but for most people (which are really who most cars are targeted at) this car is probably looking pretty good.

edit: 5000th post just there ... that wasn't nearly as profound as I had thought I might have made it.
Old 06-29-09, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
People buy 30K VWs every day.....that is about the average out-the-door price of a new Passat. And, of course, some CC models run even more. Even an Eos hard-top convertible can easily run 30K now, with options.

What you are probably referring to is the super-luxury VW Phaeton, which ran about 80K with a W8 and 90K with a W12. That model did not sell here in the American market because of the resistance of American buyers to a VW that expensive (even though, compared to its BMW/Mercedes competitors, was a bargain).

Yes, that may (?) happen with a 60K Hyundai....we'll have to wait and see, but if people would would just forget stereotypes (I've said this again and again) and go see vehicles for themselves instead of just judging by a nameplate, they would be a lot better off.
Old 06-29-09, 12:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faymester

edit: 5000th post just there ... that wasn't nearly as profound as I had thought I might have made it.
Congrats!!!

Old 06-29-09, 12:57 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Why does the steering wheel and the back of the badge says V on it?
Personally I don't like it just because they are knocking off styles from all over the place.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus flagship Thread (5.0 V8 400+hp and LWB coming)