Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai CEO: Genesis Coupe Sales Are "Smoking," 3.8 GT is Volume Leader

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 11:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Hyundai CEO: Genesis Coupe Sales Are "Smoking," 3.8 GT is Volume Leader

Hyundai CEO: Genesis Coupe Sales Are "Smoking," 3.8 GT is Volume Leader

Without a doubt, Hyundai's new rear-drive Genesis Coupe has been one of the more hotly-anticipated enthusiast cars to reach U.S. soil as of late. With a choice of either a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder or a normally-aspirated 3.8-liter V-6 sitting up front and an array of equipment levels, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe appeals to a broad range of both drivers and budgets. It was a no-brainer that the Genesis Coupe would be a success in the showrooms, but Hyundai USA CEO John Krafcik tells Motor Trend that early sales are "simply smoking."

According to Krafcik, initial sales for the Genesis Coupe have been even hotter than the luxury-oriented Genesis sedan, even with "significantly less" marketing. While 2.0T models have just begun heading to dealers, making it impossible to say what the powertrain split will look like, word is that among the 3.8-liter cars currently in showrooms, over 50% of buyers are opting for the Grand Touring trim level.

When the 2.0T version begins arriving en masse, we'll be watching to see if more customers opt for the budget- and performance-oriented R-Spec model. At just $24,000 including the destination charge, the R-Spec is firmly targeted at the tuner market, and ditches such niceties as cruise control, Bluetooth, and automatic headlights, but includes virtually all the performance goodies that the track package has (like a limited-slip diff, beefier Brembos, and larger anti-roll bars).

Equipped with the Grand Touring package, the Genesis Coupe 3.8 starts at $28,250 with a manual transmission and $29,750 with an automatic gearbox (including a $750 destination fee). The Grand Touring package adds a host of features to the standard Genesis Coupe 3.8, including unique heated brown leather seats, a power-adjustable driver's seat, Xenon headlamps, a 360-watt Infinity stereo system, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, a power sunroof, and a backup warning system. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T begins at $22,750 for the base model.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6485334/au...der/index.html
Old 03-17-09, 05:48 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like loyal tiburon enthusiast's found their new toy.
Old 03-17-09, 06:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I told you guys, when I reviewed it, that this car was going to be a hit with enthusiasts, perhaps even in this auto-buying recession. With the great warranty, psuedo-BMW steering/chassis, responsive drivetrain/brakes, and the relatively low price, this car is a steal, although the Grand Touring model, which appears to be the best-seller, may not have the same responsiveness as the superb 3.8 Track model I reviewed.
Old 03-17-09, 06:07 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

The 2.0T sales should be good too.
Old 03-17-09, 07:12 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for Hyundai. Maybe it will inspire Toyota to finally get off it's fat butt and produce a RWD coupe.
Old 03-17-09, 09:04 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Thats good for Hyundai, its nice to see an automotive manufacturer doing well. I am sure its a one hell of a car to drive, but I think I rather pay 32 for a 370z than 29 for a Genesis Coupe.
Old 03-17-09, 10:10 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Z's always offer a base model in the lower 30's but its missing so many features you really need to get the one near 40k.
Old 03-17-09, 11:08 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Thats good for Hyundai, its nice to see an automotive manufacturer doing well. I am sure its a one hell of a car to drive, but I think I rather pay 32 for a 370z than 29 for a Genesis Coupe.
Have to agree, 370Z w/ sports package at 32k is hard to beat. It might be missing options like leather and homelink, but if I was in the market for this type of car those options would be at the very bottom of my priorities list.
Old 03-17-09, 11:30 AM
Epik151
Driver

"Although the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe is offered with an optional V6, it's likely that the turbocharged 2.0T version is destined to be the more popular choice. It's less expensive and lighter, plus it's got a happy spinny thing under the hood known as a turbo. And when it comes to tuning potential, a turbo is hard to beat.

We tested a bone stock Genesis Coupe 2.0T on MD Automotive's Dynojet chassis dyno located in Westminster, CA. Hyundai says its 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder generates 210 hp and 223 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel, and like most factory ratings for turbo cars, those numbers are a bit on the conservative side.

Hit the jump to see the dyno chart and other discoveries."

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...coupe-20t.html

2.0T is the real bang for buck option. 370Z is way out of it's price range.

Last edited by Epik151; 03-17-09 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 11:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedflex
Good for Hyundai. Maybe it will inspire Toyota to finally get off it's fat butt and produce a RWD coupe.
Agreed, Hyundai deserved to win by offering good value in this segment.
Old 03-17-09, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
So far, Toyota hasn't needed one since the Supra (actually more a hard-edged sports-car than a coupe) left the American market....and it left because it didn't sell. Toyota rose to the top of the sales charts, and became the #1 world manufacturer, without one, although there was the Lexus SC430 drop-top coupe for the big-bucks crowd.

Of course, if the Genesis coupe continues to do well, Toyota marketers will probably notice.
Old 03-17-09, 02:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So far, Toyota hasn't needed one since the Supra (actually more a hard-edged sports-car than a coupe) left the American market....and it left because it didn't sell. Toyota rose to the top of the sales charts, and became the #1 world manufacturer, without one, although there was the Lexus SC430 drop-top coupe for the big-bucks crowd.

Of course, if the Genesis coupe continues to do well, Toyota marketers will probably notice.
I agree Toyota needs to pay attention, past mistakes are just history. Looking at the success of the BMW coupe and Genesis coupe alone are good starting points.

The Lexus SC430 never had much appeal to the big buck crowd here (which is a very big crowd in Silicon Valley, loaded with Carreras, Vantages, Lambos, Bentley coupes, Jag XKRs, etc.).
Old 03-17-09, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree Toyota needs to pay attention, past mistakes are just history. Looking at the success of the BMW coupe and Genesis coupe alone are good starting points.
Was it really a mistake, though? Like I noted, after the Supra left, Toyota got to the top (and passed GM) without a RWD coupe. But, like you noted, that was then......and now is now.

The Lexus SC430 never had much appeal to the big buck crowd here (which is a very big crowd in Silicon Valley, loaded with Carreras, Vantages, Lambos, Bentley coupes, Jag XKRs, etc.).
That, IMO, was Toyota/Lexus's own fault. After the classy and beautiful first-generation SC, the second-generation model ended up looking like an even quirkier, funkier version of the Audi TT, with a trick drop-top. And the six-cylinder SC, which sold very well in the first-gen model, was dropped for the second-gen....a mistake, IMO.
Old 03-17-09, 03:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Was it really a mistake, though? Like I noted, after the Supra left, Toyota got to the top (and passed GM) without a RWD coupe. But, like you noted, that was then......and now is now.
Valid point, nobody can dispute Toyota/Lexus success here.

But it's called "leaving money on the table", and in this case in BMW's pocket as a prime example. Strong companies get stronger by taking lucrative market share (and premium coupes are higher margin business than economy hatches).
Old 03-17-09, 06:24 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I have to beg to differ. I too am located in the Silicon Valley (Los Gatos) and I see SC430s all over the place. Despite their dislike from the automotive community, I see them driven by tons of different people, from 80 year women to 16 year old high schoolers. Their luxury and hard top convertible seems to have cone over smoothly.

Quick Reply: Hyundai CEO: Genesis Coupe Sales Are "Smoking," 3.8 GT is Volume Leader