Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 2011 VW "Polo" unvieled at Geneva - Coming to US

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 02:02 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's a misconception that the Mexican built cars are less reliable than the German built variants. Obviously the materials are the same, the physical quality is no different. Everything built in the Pueblo plant is shipped straight from Germany in individual packaging modules. The cars just need to be assembled.
Old 03-08-09, 03:02 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
I think it's a misconception that the Mexican built cars are less reliable than the German built variants. Obviously the materials are the same, the physical quality is no different. Everything built in the Pueblo plant is shipped straight from Germany in individual packaging modules. The cars just need to be assembled.
materials are one thing and workmanship is another. You can have the best materials in the world but if they're put together shoddily, then what's the point?

The M-Class built in Alabama had the worst reliability of any MB in the U.S. The 2nd Gen M-Class is a lot better in that front so obviously MB took note. It'll be nice if VW did the same. Pueblo manufacturers the Jetta and the old Beetle (used to anyway til they killed it off... when.. 2003? )
Old 03-08-09, 08:48 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
+1 People dont build cars anymore (to a extant), robots do. The people who operate the robots are cheeper in mexico.
Old 03-08-09, 08:50 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
materials are one thing and workmanship is another. You can have the best materials in the world but if they're put together shoddily, then what's the point?

The M-Class built in Alabama had the worst reliability of any MB in the U.S. The 2nd Gen M-Class is a lot better in that front so obviously MB took note. It'll be nice if VW did the same. Pueblo manufacturers the Jetta and the old Beetle (used to anyway til they killed it off... when.. 2003? )
The w163 was rushed I agree (had 2 of them) yet the w164 along with the GL and R wagon is built is (Tuscolosa sp AL ) all it prooves that the w163 was poorly engineered.
Old 03-08-09, 09:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M-Class built in Alabama had the worst reliability of any MB in the U.S. The 2nd Gen M-Class is a lot better in that front so obviously MB took note.
The 2nd gen M-class has the same mediocre reliability of the German-built E-class, CLS, SLK, previous gen C-class (2001-2007 model years), and S-class.
Old 03-09-09, 07:28 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
The w163 was rushed I agree (had 2 of them) yet the w164 along with the GL and R wagon is built is (Tuscolosa sp AL ) all it prooves that the w163 was poorly engineered.
Well it goes off road quite well with stock tyres and without using low range. Granted, it was just moist and it wasn't mud but just trenches that water carved out over time but the approach and departure angles were great.

Of course the Check Engine light was on all the time lol.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The 2nd gen M-class has the same mediocre reliability of the German-built E-class, CLS, SLK, previous gen C-class (2001-2007 model years), and S-class.
Ohh... I thought it improved.
Old 03-09-09, 07:47 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Well it goes off road quite well with stock tyres and without using low range. Granted, it was just moist and it wasn't mud but just trenches that water carved out over time but the approach and departure angles were great.

Of course the Check Engine light was on all the time lol.

Ohh... I thought it improved.
It was a offroad champ I agree. Nothing can beat a body on frame suv with a low range tranny. I didnt need snow tires back then like I do on the w164 ML500 and MB decided best to leave the low range option for Europe on the U.S
Old 03-09-09, 08:55 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Very nice! Looks good.

Originally Posted by Allen K
It better embarrass them considering the starting price is 3-4k more than the Yaris and Versa. Pricewise it'll probably compete more with the Fit with the Fit still being a cheaper option. Not entirely convinced it will sell where here considering the lower end of market tend to be more price sensitive. Now if they release that TDI here, and price it well, I'd be surprised if it didn't sell well since the price of diesel is starting to become more reasonable. At the pumps near my house, the price for diesel was actually lower than the price of 87
I don't know why VW can't build a cheap car [anymore]. What ever happened to the original affordability concept that made the original Beetle so successful. $18K for a car that's supposed to sit below the Golf and New Beetle? Come on. It will find buyers, but they are not the buyers of actual economy cars like Yaris/Versa/Accent ect. VW desperately needs a $13K model and they'd sell like hotcakes.

Originally Posted by DustinV
You have to understand my position. I live and work in Germany. I have many automotive enthusiastic colleagues who drive VWs and don't complain about them. They cannot really understand why Volkswagen has such a poor reputation for reliability in the US when the most common problems they have on their VWs are generally rather small nuisances that get fixed and literally never reappear.

Ok, time to hit the sack. Dead tired.
< Actually, you live in Maryland.

We get a lot of German cars traded in at the dealer I work at and yeah, everything is broken on them. Especially in their "quality" interiors. The hardware is never intact. And most of them are only a few years old. These types of things are a huge headache and is easily a deal breaker.

Originally Posted by Koma
Well this might actually compete with the iQ. Smaller but priced a little more premiumly because it is nicer inside.
It definitely looks better than Rabbit. The stock rabbit has those horrible bumper guards.
iQ?? This is twice the size of the iQ. They're not even remotely competitors. The Polo is bigger than the Yaris LB even.
Old 03-09-09, 09:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=Nextourer;4325743

Ohh... I thought it improved.[/QUOTE]

Yes 2nd gen ML quality improved over the crappy 1st gen ML. But it is no better or worse than the German-built cars in the 2006-2007 range.
Old 03-09-09, 11:43 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Very nice! Looks good.

I don't know why VW can't build a cheap car [anymore]. What ever happened to the original affordability concept that made the original Beetle so successful. $18K for a car that's supposed to sit below the Golf and New Beetle? Come on. It will find buyers, but they are not the buyers of actual economy cars like Yaris/Versa/Accent ect. VW desperately needs a $13K model and they'd sell like hotcakes.
I definitely see your point, but I'd worry they'd dilute their brand image here in the US if they released uber-cheap models that are entirely on part with their Japanese competition in every way but reliability. The only reason Volkswagen clings onto their small market share is the fact that they are generally perceived as being quality built automobiles, to a higher degree than the immediate competition (build quality never takes a backseat, look at the prices on their vehicles). This, in my opinion, along with their perceived road manners, is what keeps them floating above their **** poor reliability ratings.

But wait, they are trying to do just what I am advocating them not do - build a car on par with the Japanese and price it accordingly. If they don't realize cost of ownership better fall like a rock and reliability must increase, they will be DOA with all new cars sold from their new plant in Chattanooga. Knowing the way the Germans build/design things, it's going to be an uphill battle.
Old 03-10-09, 10:15 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes 2nd gen ML quality improved over the crappy 1st gen ML. But it is no better or worse than the German-built cars in the 2006-2007 range.
Oh great lol.

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
It was a offroad champ I agree. Nothing can beat a body on frame suv with a low range tranny. I didnt need snow tires back then like I do on the w164 ML500 and MB decided best to leave the low range option for Europe on the U.S
Good point. I don't have much experience with body-on-frame SUVs so I'm more easily surprised
Old 03-11-09, 06:21 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by JLSC4
iQ?? This is twice the size of the iQ. They're not even remotely competitors. The Polo is bigger than the Yaris LB even.
Well what I was saying is that the Polo is priced higher than the Yaris and even higher than the Fit (taking this info from this thread, I have no idea what the real price will be) but it has nicer materials inside and is less econo-crap-box like the Yaris. The iQ is priced higher than the Yaris but is smaller because it has nicer materials and is a nicer vehicle overall. That's the comparison I was making. I wasn't saying that people might cross shop the two, just maybe that's how VW is planning to market the vehicle.
Old 05-05-14, 05:56 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VW Confirms 6-Speed Manual Transmission for Facelifted Polo GTI

It appears that the report from earlier this year about the refreshed VW Polo GTI getting a manual transmission option was based on valuable information, as a senior company executive has confirmed the news.

The updated VW Polo GTI will again be offered with a six-speed manual transmission when it launches later this year, confirmed Volkswagen product communications executive Moritz Silzer. “What we can say about GTI … it will have 192PS (189hp), so increased power, and it will be available not only with DSG but also with a manual transmission,” Silzer was quoted as saying by Australia’s Car Advice.

As for the Polo GTI’s engine, it is still not clear whether the 1.4-liter unit from the current model was uprated to develop 189hp or was replaced by a larger 1.8-liter engine. Silzer also hinted that torque will increase from the current 250 Nm (184 lb-ft). “We have improved a lot on every level, so torque… maybe yes,” Silzer said.

He added that VW’s decision to reintroduce the manual transmission option was due to the desires of car enthusiasts. “It’s a totally different class but the Porsche 911 GT3, the PDK, alright, it’s fine… Maybe I’m a little bit old fashioned, but with a sports car … I want to work, I want to work with the car,” the executive said.

With the introduction of the six-speed manual transmission, the VW Polo GTI should be approximately AUD$2,500 cheaper (US$2,316) in Australia, the report says, bringing the starting price down to AUD$27,000 (US$25,020) for the manual variant. That would make the VW Polo GTI just AUD$1,000 more expensive than the acclaimed Ford Fiesta ST.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/vw-...nsmission.html
Old 05-05-14, 05:09 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

All I see it knuckles the echidna hah

Old 08-06-14, 11:21 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbuyer Says Facelifted VW Polo is the Same as Before

In true Volkswagen style, the facelifted Polo looks almost identical with the model it replaces, but the truth is, it bring some important changes, most of them under the bodywork.

There are new and updated engines up to 21 percent more economical, new trim levels, and extra equipment.

Carbuyer takes a look at the refreshed VW Polo in one of its latest videos and Mat Watson’s conclusion is that the car hasn’t changed that much. Sure, it has updated and new Euro6 engines and new assistance systems but it drives the same as before and has an almost identical interior – with the most noticeable change inside being the addition of a modular infotainment system sourced from the VW Golf.

In the end, it all comes to personal taste when choosing a supermini, but as Watson warns, if you’re in the market for a fun small car, you’d be better off with a Ford Fiesta.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/car...w-polo-is.html

Quick Reply: New 2011 VW "Polo" unvieled at Geneva - Coming to US