Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 2011 VW "Polo" unvieled at Geneva - Coming to US

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 02:44 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New 2011 VW "Polo" unvieled at Geneva - Coming to US

Although the model has quite a large following in both South America and across Europe, the Polo's never been offered in the U.S. With Americans newfound acceptance of subcompact cars like the Honda Fit, VW thinks there's a chance the Polo could do well in the New World.

We'd have to agree with that notion. Although the car is sized like a Fit (albeit without as tall a roof), it exudes the charisma of a larger car both inside and out. Exterior styling virtually apes that of the new fifth-generation Golf, while the interior feels just as good as that of the Jetta. Sure, plenty of pieces (namely buttons, radio, gauges, and other goodies) are picked out of VW's parts bin, but we're hard pressed to name another small car interior that feels so mature.

The new Polo will be offered with no fewer than eight different engine choices (including four diesel options), but we'd expect the 105-hp, 1.2-liter turbocharged I-4 - the top-end engine in Europe - to be standard fare in the U.S. It can be mated to either a six-speed manual or a seven-speed DSG transmission, which then sends power to the front wheels.

If a Polo TDI were to arrive in the U.S, we'd guess the 90-hp 1.6-liter turbo-diesel I-4 would be the most likely offering. Although a 105-hp version is offered in Europe, the 90-hp motor allows buyers the choice of a five-speed manual or the DSG.

The new Polo is expected to arrive in European showrooms this June, but don't expect it here until sometime in late 2010. Here's hoping this model crosses the pond and not the outgoing Polo.
http://blogs.automobilemag.com/64586...lay/index.html

GENEVA — The introduction of the redesigned Polo, Volkswagen’s second-best-selling model, kicked off the Geneva auto show today. Actually, the starting gun was jumped a bit by outdoor advertising crews, who unveiled massive billboards of the car here the night before the show.

The Polo, now entering its fifth generation since its launch in 1975, figures to be one of the show’s most important debuts because it is such a big seller. A chunk of VW’s success hinges on continuing the franchise’s popularity.

From a styling standpoint, the new design is conservative, breaks no new ground and seems to offer little to offend, or inspire. It certainly looks as if it could have been right at home in VW’s lineup 10-15 years ago. VW said the Polo offers quality akin to an Audi, at a starting price of about $17,700.

The new model’s major appeal is likely to be under its skin, where its powerplants place a premium on fuel efficiency and reduced CO2 emissions. Smaller gasoline-powered turbocharged engines will shrink to 1 and 1.2 liters. A BlueMotion diesel variant will emit less CO2 and top 60 miles a gallon in fuel economy.

The Polo introduced at Geneva, a five-door hatchback, will initially be sold only in Europe starting later this summer. A three-door model will also be offered. A small crossover-style model and minivan will follow. For the tuner crowd, a 170-horsepower GTI model will likely appear by 2010.

Also in 2010, if market conditions and exchange rates allow, Volkswagen intends to introduce the Polo to the United States, because the company said it believed that fuel prices there will be on the rise again by then, and fuel-sipping econocars like the Polo could be in high demand.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...ef=automobiles

Volkswagen, bring this thing here, now. Besides woefully embarrasing the toys called the Fit/Echo/Versa, perhaps you'll actually sell a few.

Last edited by FKL; 03-04-09 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-04-09, 02:56 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

It better embarrass them considering the starting price is 3-4k more than the Yaris and Versa. Pricewise it'll probably compete more with the Fit with the Fit still being a cheaper option. Not entirely convinced it will sell where here considering the lower end of market tend to be more price sensitive. Now if they release that TDI here, and price it well, I'd be surprised if it didn't sell well since the price of diesel is starting to become more reasonable. At the pumps near my house, the price for diesel was actually lower than the price of 87
Old 03-04-09, 03:36 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
It better embarrass them considering the starting price is 3-4k more than the Yaris and Versa. Pricewise it'll probably compete more with the Fit with the Fit still being a cheaper option. Not entirely convinced it will sell where here considering the lower end of market tend to be more price sensitive. Now if they release that TDI here, and price it well, I'd be surprised if it didn't sell well since the price of diesel is starting to become more reasonable. At the pumps near my house, the price for diesel was actually lower than the price of 87

There are price sensitive buyers in this class, but there are also design conscious buyers in this class and if we're honest, VW has a pretty attractive lineup.

Toyota tends to hold the value and reliability card, but in terms of design I often find myself cringing when I see some of their newer products out on the street, especially their smaller economy cars.

I guess my point is that the Polo will probably have several advantages in its favor appealing to the folks who value design and economy. Let's not forget that driving a VW Polo can turn into a fad, just like driving a Prius was and still is something of a fad.
Old 03-04-09, 03:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice if it was reliable and long lasting too.
Old 03-04-09, 03:48 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Great thing it is then.
Old 03-04-09, 03:48 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
It would be nice if it was reliable and long lasting too.
Maybe it is?

Judging a new car already...?
Old 03-04-09, 03:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
Maybe it is?

Judging a new car already...?
Read my line again before you make that statement.
Old 03-04-09, 03:55 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Read my line again before you make that statement.
You have to understand my position. I live and work in Germany. I have many automotive enthusiastic colleagues who drive VWs and don't complain about them. They cannot really understand why Volkswagen has such a poor reputation for reliability in the US when the most common problems they have on their VWs are generally rather small nuisances that get fixed and literally never reappear.

Ok, time to hit the sack. Dead tired.
Old 03-04-09, 04:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

You have to understand my position. I live and work in Germany. I have many automotive enthusiastic colleagues who drive VWs and don't complain about them. They cannot really understand why Volkswagen has such a poor reputation for reliability in the US when the most common problems they have on their VWs are generally rather small nuisances that get fixed and literally never reappear.

I see, get some rest. I'll explain it to you later if you are interested.

I like many German cars and have owned several, (including 2 currently).
Old 03-04-09, 05:37 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Wow a very good looking car, the front end reminds me of the Scirocco(sp?), and I like it more than the newest Golf. It wouldn't surprise me if it is gonna be everywhere on the street in the U.S., just like the new Z and the new Genesis coupe in the soon future. And I like the idea of more compact/subcompact cars coming to this country instead of Van and SUV or SAV or crossover or whatever.
Old 03-04-09, 06:02 PM
Koma

Well this might actually compete with the iQ. Smaller but priced a little more premiumly because it is nicer inside.
It definitely looks better than Rabbit. The stock rabbit has those horrible bumper guards.
Old 03-05-09, 11:09 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

have you seen the mark 6 rabbit/golf/gti/gti-r? ^
Old 03-05-09, 01:40 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
have you seen the mark 6 rabbit/golf/gti/gti-r? ^
I've seen all of them but I was specifically talking about the 2.5 Rabbit. Those really horrible bumper guard things really put me off on the car.

I do like the GTI and R32 but the base Rabbit is bleh.

EDIT: Sorry I thought you meant the current Rabbit. The MK6 I've seen very few full photos of but it does look similar to this Polo.
Old 03-05-09, 04:16 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, the greyed out body plastic guards are definitely love or hate. It's definitely more of a Euro look. IIRC, only the two door Rabbit has the unpainted guards...
Old 03-07-09, 09:13 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pueblo vs. Wolfsburg might have something to do with it.

Quick Reply: New 2011 VW "Polo" unvieled at Geneva - Coming to US