Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealer wants to charge for a loaner car for warranty service.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 06:51 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dealer wants to charge for a loaner car for warranty service.

The charge isn't much but this is something new. I've gotten loaner cars there before without an fees. Is this a common thing nowadays? I've never been charged before.

My service adviser said: "Management has put a surcharge of $9.00 on all loaner cars for fuel and the EZ tag."

I'm not sure if that is per day or what... I guess I will find out when I drop my car off.

I should probably check the other dealerships in the area... but knowing Houston, they probably all matched the same charge. It's like an oligopoly here- especially with new car pricing...
Old 01-12-09, 10:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Very simple. Since it is warranty-related, have the dealership bill the factory for the loaner car.......and refuse to take no for an answer if the factory reps balk at it.
Old 01-12-09, 10:55 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

ive been paying $8 for loaner cars per day for the past 3-4 years. of course, this is not warranty work as i get it for oil changes too. but yeh, i can understand where they are coming from. at least this way you dont have to fill her back up
Old 01-12-09, 10:56 PM
LexFather

Wow I've never heard of this, not for warrenty work or at all. I've said before with rising fuel costs and people abusing loaners, policies have gotten tighter.

Old 01-12-09, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

when gas was almost 5 bucks, they did have rule saying about fill-up before returning loaners, but i never have to pay for any loaners
Old 01-12-09, 11:16 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah, never had to pay before...

when i worked at mercedes the only times we made a customer pay for their loaner were the times when the customer:

1) wrecked the car
2) took one of our ML loaners off-roading, when he returned it with mud caked 2" thick on the bottom he tried to lie about it
3) peeled out of the dealership right after we gave it to him
4) smoked in the car
Old 01-13-09, 03:51 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd never pay for a loaner

i'd lol in the dude's face
Old 01-13-09, 04:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Arantant
The charge isn't much but this is something new. I've gotten loaner cars there before without an fees. Is this a common thing nowadays? I've never been charged before.

My service adviser said: "Management has put a surcharge of $9.00 on all loaner cars for fuel and the EZ tag."

I'm not sure if that is per day or what... I guess I will find out when I drop my car off.

I should probably check the other dealerships in the area... but knowing Houston, they probably all matched the same charge. It's like an oligopoly here- especially with new car pricing...
So tell them you'll put the gas back to where it was, and pay your own tolls.
Old 01-13-09, 06:56 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I probably would change dealership. They are nickel and diming you for a loaner.
Old 01-13-09, 07:16 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer offers the option that you can bring the loaner back with the same amount of gas or pay $15.

I didn't find anything unfair about being expected to pay for gas.
Old 01-13-09, 07:33 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arantant

Which dealership is this, Is it westside or northside??

Cos Ive never payed before
Old 01-13-09, 10:28 AM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I wasn't going to say which one it was, but it is Westside Lexus (Northside would have the same policy since I've heard it's the same owner).

I got an interesting reply from Sterling McCall Lexus after I e-mailed and asked their policy:
---------------
We are looking into doing the same but have not started as of today. But soon all 4 Lexus dealers in the Houston area will have gone to this.

<edited name>
Master Certified
Service Manager
Sterling McCall Lexus
-------------

If that isn't proof of price-fixing, I don't know what is. There is virtually no competition between the dealers here in Houston, especially for new cars. I had to threaten to buy in Dallas before they budged at all in price, and even then I ended up buying a pre-owned model from an Alabama dealership.

Before that reply, someone had forwarded my inquiry to about 5 people in Sterling McCall with the comment: "This could be a selling point in our conversations with our customers"

Hahaha... I guess not.

Still, I might switch to Sterling McCall, since they are technically closer to my house. I went to Westside since it was closer to work and it was easy to drop off my car at lunchtime.
Old 01-13-09, 10:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
when gas was almost 5 bucks, they did have rule saying about fill-up before returning loaners, but i never have to pay for any loaners
Gas prices are always much higher up here & the Lexus dealers never charge for loaner cars nor request fill-up upon return, I hope it stays that way(& it definitely should).
Old 01-13-09, 11:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 799 Likes on 558 Posts

Asking people to fill the loaners probably isn't a good idea because people will most likely toss 87 in them...
Old 01-13-09, 12:08 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't mind filling the car up to where it was when I picked up. But at least give the customer a option.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants to charge for a loaner car for warranty service.