Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

clk63 black series

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 06:55 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ I wanna work for that guy, just in case he may let me drive his cars!
Old 11-06-08, 01:01 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
The black series is nothing like the IS-F or C63 are you kidding me? They're not even in the same category. Not only does it produce over 500hp it's completely track tuned in terms of suspension & interior and has a massive amount of weight reduction using magnesium and carbon fiber in various places throughout the vehicle. PM me, I work at Mercedes Benz of downtown LA. I can help you if you're truly interested, that car isn't allowed test drives btw
Um no, I'm not kidding and I wasn't posting my opinion regarding the performance of the AMG vs the IS-F and C63. I was stating facts. Since no one is allowed to test drive the Black series and I highly doubt anyone in here owns one or knows someone who owns one, we can only take what we have researched and read in reviews to form a basis for our conclusions. Remember my original post was 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance was "on par" in regards to the AMG Black series and the IS-F and C63.

1. Road & Track test results
CLK63 Black- 0-60: 4.1 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.4 seconds @115 mph
skidpad,g: 0.98
curb weight as tested: 3810 lbs lbs

2. Road & Track test results
IS-F- 0-60 4.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.6 @ 114 mph
skidpad,g: 0.93
curb weight as tested: 3825 lbs

3. Road & Track test results
C63- 0-60 4.1 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.5 @ 114 mph
skidpad,g: 0.93
curb weight as tested: 3920 lbs

That's funny, You could say that 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance is "ON PAR" with one another like I stated. And given it's exhorbitant sticker price of $140,000 more than twice that of the IS-F and C63, I personally don't think it's worth the money. I did mention however that the Black series is superior on the track (see skidpad above) and is a "Street legal LeMans car". 500 hp means nothing, just look at the GT500 mustang. That piece of crap can barely break 13 seconds in the 1/4 mile. And to your chagrin the curb weight difference is miniscule at best (See above). What happened to the "massive amount of weight reduction" using space age materials? LOL

Mercedes Benz actually pays your salary?

Last edited by 8speed; 11-06-08 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-06-08, 08:26 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

You must have misunderstood my post. I was not saying that the Blackseries was FAR MORE SUPERIOR just that we ought to be comparing apple to apples. I never said it was a worthwhile car to splurge 140k on, with that much money I'd MUCH rather spend a bit more and get a used F430 or an LP640. What I meant was the Black series isn't supposed to be comparable to the IS-F and the C63 which are 4dr sedans that are tuned for street performance and daily driveability. To the people who own a Black series that is definitely not their daily car, I guarantee you. And about the weight reduction, yes it seems miniscule but Benz's are notorious for outweighing most cars out there on the road but they did a great job keeping this one considerably low for the motor and chassis that it is built on. I work at Benz but I am faaaaaaar from being a fanboy of their product. I'd love to work for Lexus but they just don't pay as much and they just don't have many problems at all. Mercedes-Benz has blessed me w/ their "quality," therefore I will always have work.
Old 11-06-08, 08:47 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

The Black is not comparable to the IS-F, very different tier of cars.

Factory wide body = amazing
Old 11-07-08, 01:30 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe Jeremy Clarkson has one now - a friend went to the taping of Top Gear last wednesday and it was parked in his spot:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=apqU32xYvAg
Old 11-07-08, 09:55 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
You must have misunderstood my post. I was not saying that the Blackseries was FAR MORE SUPERIOR just that we ought to be comparing apple to apples. I never said it was a worthwhile car to splurge 140k on, with that much money I'd MUCH rather spend a bit more and get a used F430 or an LP640. What I meant was the Black series isn't supposed to be comparable to the IS-F and the C63 which are 4dr sedans that are tuned for street performance and daily driveability. To the people who own a Black series that is definitely not their daily car, I guarantee you. And about the weight reduction, yes it seems miniscule but Benz's are notorious for outweighing most cars out there on the road but they did a great job keeping this one considerably low for the motor and chassis that it is built on. I work at Benz but I am faaaaaaar from being a fanboy of their product. I'd love to work for Lexus but they just don't pay as much and they just don't have many problems at all. Mercedes-Benz has blessed me w/ their "quality," therefore I will always have work.
Fair enough! I can think of 20 cars I would rather own for the price than the CLK Black: 911 turbo, ZR1, Viper ACR, Audi R8, etc.
Old 11-07-08, 06:35 PM
LexFather

DO WANT!!!!!!!!
]

Old 01-25-10, 10:16 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

general manager of the company i work for just got a CLK63 BLack series in silver

quite a beaut in person
Old 01-25-10, 10:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UberNoob
general manager of the company i work for just got a CLK63 BLack series in silver

quite a beaut in person
Isn't it lovely. It would be my first Benz. I like it that much. Stunning.

Old 01-26-10, 03:02 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your paying for exclusivity with the CLK63 Black Series. If you compare only numbers and don’t think the car is worth that much $$$, well look at these numbers… Not too much different…

Ferrari F430: 0-60 mph 4.0 Quarter mile 12.3
Lamborghini Murcielago LP460: 0-60 mph 3.9 Quarter mile 11.9
Aston Martin DBS: 0-60 mph 4.2 Quarter mile 12.6
Audi R8: 0-60 mph 3.9 Quarter mile 12.4

Yes the IS-F and C63 numbers look great, but that isn't the only factor in determining a cars worth! CLK Black Series is awesome track car! Legendary actually. But this car is now Dead, too bad they are not making the New E63 coupe Black Series, that would have been epic!
Old 01-26-10, 03:19 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 8speed
Fair enough! I can think of 20 cars I would rather own for the price than the CLK Black: 911 turbo, ZR1, Viper ACR, Audi R8, etc.
I can think of 20 cars I would rather own for the price than the IS-F: different strokes for different folks!!
Old 01-26-10, 03:26 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 8speed
horrible reputation with quality and reliability. Benz is a sinking ship and losing credibility as we speak!
Non-AMG and AMG cars have a difference in reliability. AMG engines are hand built and I assure you they are not losing Credibility... AMG has long been admired buy it's competitors. Get real!
Old 01-26-10, 06:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Non-AMG and AMG cars have a difference in reliability. AMG engines are hand built and I assure you they are not losing Credibility... AMG has long been admired buy it's competitors. Get real!
Your constant posting to defend only Benz in threads is getting old.
1. You ignored the compliments in this thread to argue.
2. The person you quoted posted last November.
3. You ignore the recent positive posts that bumped the thread
4. You totally forget to mention the MSRP of the CLK Black Series is more than TWICE the cost of a IS-F.

Closed.