Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding Dallas cop hits, kills 10-year-old on bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 05:49 PM
LexFather

Post Speeding Dallas cop hits, kills 10-year-old on bike

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Pol...ort_Worth.html

Dallas Police Face Fallout Over Video Showing Child Killed

A family outraged after Dallas police released the dashcam video of their child's death said Friday that while the video needed to be seen by the public, they were shocked that the department did not notify them beforehand.

The Dallas Police Department released on Thursday a chilling dashcam video that captured the view from a police cruiser as it struck and killed 10-year-old Cole Berardi as he was riding his bicycle last week.

Cole's family said they saw the video for the first time on the news.

"Our darkest our, our most horrific hour was presented on television, before it was presented to us," said Brett Inman, the child's stepfather.

Cole was crossing Belt Line Road in southeast Dallas when he was struck by Senior Cpl. Michael Vaughn's patrol car.

"I think it is important that at some point it was released for everyone to understand the gravity of the situation," Inman said. "I would have preferred that we had the opportunity to see it as a family, as opposed to having to watch our son in his last moments on television."

Warning Disturbing Video: Dashcam Video from Cruiser

Before releasing the dashcam video on Thursday Dallas Police Chief David Kunkle warned that it is "very, very difficult to watch."

On Friday afternoon, the Dallas Police Department said they tried to notify the family that they were releasing the video, and they were referred by the family to talk to their attorney. According to the police department, the call was never returned.

Investigators said Vaughn was going 72 mph, more than 30 mph faster than the speed limit. He did not have any emergency lights or sirens activated.

"We do not want our officers speeding, violating any traffic laws unless they are doing it with red lights and sirens on," Kunkle said.

According to Dallas police policy, officers can only go 20 miles faster than the speed limit with flashing lights and sirens. In school zones and residential areas, officers must follow the posted speed limits. The only exceptions are when another officer's life is in danger or during a pursuit.

"I just want to make sure there is no confusion is about what our policies are," Kunkle said.

Vaughn, a five-year veteran of the department, is currently on restricted duty while the incident is being reviewed.

Police officials have yet to decide what punishment, if any, Vaughn will face in the incident. Criminal charges are also possible. Kunkle said the fatal crash has changed Vaughn's life "forever."

Old 10-26-08, 06:03 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow sad story but why wasnt that kid wearing any reflective clothes? especially since that stretch of road had no lights. but yea another case of cops abusing their powers, or using them for the wrong reasons. i always see cops turning on their sirens just to hop red lights.
Old 10-26-08, 06:26 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a reckless stupid cop. Criminal charges are a MUST.
Old 10-26-08, 06:37 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, didn't it seem like the kid was spotted a while back, why wasn't the cop able to stop.. he didn't even slow down until he hit the kid.. who knows
Old 10-26-08, 07:09 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Where were this kids parents? Who lets their kid ride the bike in the middle of the street AT NIGHT? I feel sorry for both parties but I dont think the officer should be prosecuted fined etc. But knowing this country the lawyers and this kids parents will walk away with a few million
Old 10-26-08, 07:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

omg, this is tragic i am so sorry for the family

at the same time, that cop is such a coward..... without emergency lights or siren on, he's just like everyday driver, that's reckless driving and probably man slaughter? he's so done
Old 10-26-08, 07:24 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Beltline is a big road, who lets their kids ride their bikes on there at night?

But i saw this when it happened and i dont know who to blame.
Old 10-26-08, 07:40 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusFiend
Where were this kids parents? Who lets their kid ride the bike in the middle of the street AT NIGHT? I feel sorry for both parties but I dont think the officer should be prosecuted fined etc. But knowing this country the lawyers and this kids parents will walk away with a few million
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . ok . . .

so If I were to be speeding 72 mph on a dark street and I hit a kid on a bike, I'd be in mother effin prison with stitches in my butt.

However, if it's a Police officer, it's totally cool. Even if there wasn't any reason why he was to be speeding. totally cool man.

I don't think we should hang him cuz he's a cop but cops get a way with a lot of ish and that my friend ain't cool.
Old 10-26-08, 09:03 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

holy crap... >.<. Dang... well I mean.. it's a case of two things gone wrong.. First why was the kid in the middle of a busy road without reflective gear and the other is why didn't the police officer have his lights and sirens if he's responding to a call?
Old 10-26-08, 09:31 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Damn. That's tragic any way you look at it.

Sad thing is the cop was going WAY too fast on that road. If he hit that kid going at the speed limit, would it be any different?

The kid probably shouldn't have been where he was, but he had no chance against any car going that fast.
Old 10-26-08, 10:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

put his *** behind bars. They would do it to anyone of us. dumb cop. 30 mph over the speed limit is way over the criminal speeding threshold. that reckless cop needs to be in jail and lose his job. Like I said if anyone of us did this crap we would shot in a public square. I hope he goes to prison and is beaten like a red headed step child the entire time. They love cops in prison. Just because he is a cop doesnt give him carte blanche to kill our children
Old 10-26-08, 10:34 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . ok . . .

so If I were to be speeding 72 mph on a dark street and I hit a kid on a bike, I'd be in mother effin prison with stitches in my butt.

However, if it's a Police officer, it's totally cool. Even if there wasn't any reason why he was to be speeding. totally cool man.

I don't think we should hang him cuz he's a cop but cops get a way with a lot of ish and that my friend ain't cool.
I don't think anybody said it was cool.

A terrible tragedy, no doubt.

Would the kid have survived being struck by a car going the speed limit?
Would he have survived if he wore a helmet? Reflective clothing?
Lots of questions, infinite variables.

What a strange place and time to ride a bike. A 10 year old should know better.
In my opinion, the parents are more at fault than the officer.

The reality is that accidents happen. Unfortunate, but true.

If the officer gets punished, so should the parents.
Old 10-26-08, 10:42 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
at the same time, that cop is such a coward..... without emergency lights or siren on, he's just like everyday driver, that's reckless driving and probably man slaughter? he's so done
Wouldn't matter much. Right after that, they'll just turn off the siren after he bully his way through.

Officer like this make the good one look bad

Yeah, stupid a@@ parents letting kids stay out this late at night also.
Old 10-26-08, 10:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

I cant believe that they are trying to decide what to do with him. put his *** in jail. he was outside the legal limits set for officers and he was not using the lights and sirens. He should be nailed for this. 72 in a 40. That *** hole was almost double the legal speed limit. That poor kid didnt even have a chance
Old 10-26-08, 11:09 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Kids not supposed to be out at night...i dunno what time..without parental supervision Cop was at 100% fault too, but, if the kid wasn't out on the road at all, this wouldn't have happened.