Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's New Rear Window Curtain Shield Airbag Ups the Safety Ante

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 06:12 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Toyota's New Rear Window Curtain Shield Airbag Ups the Safety Ante

Toyota looks to the backseat in developing this rear window curtain shield airbag. The bag protects the heads of rear passengers in a crash.

Toyota is expected to introduce the new airbag in its upcoming iQ (pictured), about to make its debut at the Paris auto show.

TOKYO — Toyota on Tuesday announced it has developed a rear window curtain shield airbag to protect rear passengers' heads in the event of a crash. The development seems to take direct aim at Honda, which has been jockeying for leadership in the safety arena among Japanese automakers.

Toyota calls its new airbag "the world's first" and says it will be used in the Toyota iQ four-seater. It is a major step forward, since rear-passenger protection has lagged behind front-passenger protection in general within the auto industry.

"The innovative airbag deploys from the roof lining above the rear window in the form of a curtain-like barrier," Toyota said in a statement. "Together with the headrests, the airbag minimizes impact to the head from a colliding vehicle or parts of the hit vehicle, thus helping to reduce the severity of injuries."

Traditional rear curtain airbags protect the torso.

What this means to you: Expect to see this new airbag rolled out to other Toyota products in the future — and copied by other automakers. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=132626#2

Last edited by Overclocker; 09-30-08 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 06:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i rarely use my back seat for anything other than my laptop or textbooks, but if i cared about back seat safety i think i would want this
Old 09-30-08, 06:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Manufacturers are putting airbags everywhere they can.

You might soon find one in your cupholder.
Old 09-30-08, 06:45 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I dont see how this airbag is going to minimize the impact from a rear accident since it is already useless for side impact. The only benefit I see from this air bag is protection from flying debris which could have been easily done with some cheaper alternatives. IMO it would be more beneficial to have active headrest than this "world's first" useless airbag.
Old 09-30-08, 07:20 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are putting them every where lol.

Next thing you know they will put inflatable diapers on your seat to prevent you from wetting yourself after an accident
Old 09-30-08, 07:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I dont understand how this is effective if its going around the headrest. Maybe protects from flying glass??
Old 09-30-08, 08:34 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Who sits proper in the back? I know i lean toward the center of the car to see the road ahead and i guess this is for people who dont sit still. I like the idea.
Old 09-30-08, 08:52 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by GFerg
I dont understand how this is effective if its going around the headrest. Maybe protects from flying glass??
Maybe to protect the frame of the car from crashing to the headrest at a higher rate of speed from a rear collision? I guess we will need to see it in action to get a grasp of what it will do.
Old 09-30-08, 09:12 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

This is what I like to hear about Toyota and Lexus.

The 200 series already has 10 airbags. Does not hurt to have another
Old 09-30-08, 09:44 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Side airbags help because they cushion your torso/elbow against the door and any intruding object. The curtains protect the head from hitting the headliner as well as protect you from flying debris.

I'm guessing because the rear headrests are only a few inches, it's to protect the head from the intrusion of the rear glass. Now what if the headrest wasn't fully deployed as shown and a tall person was sitting there?
Old 09-30-08, 09:53 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iKenn
Who sits proper in the back? I know i lean toward the center of the car to see the road ahead and i guess this is for people who dont sit still. I like the idea.
I think pills are more effective.
Old 10-01-08, 12:16 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by newr
I dont see how this airbag is going to minimize the impact from a rear accident since it is already useless for side impact. The only benefit I see from this air bag is protection from flying debris which could have been easily done with some cheaper alternatives. IMO it would be more beneficial to have active headrest than this "world's first" useless airbag.
Uh what does it have to do with a side impact? This airbag is designed for rear impacts, NOT side impacts. Toyota already has an assortment of airbags that deploy in a side impact.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Look again at the picture. It goes around *and* behind the headrests. It inflates around the headrests to minimize the movement of the head and neck, while the part of the bag behind the headrests protects from debris and glass.
Old 10-01-08, 04:20 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

sweet i can protect my school stuff when im driving
Old 10-01-08, 07:57 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh imagine if you're one of those drivers that has all that crap in the rear windshield? Now it comes flying at you in accidents even harder!
Old 10-01-08, 10:01 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Uh what does it have to do with a side impact? This airbag is designed for rear impacts, NOT side impacts. Toyota already has an assortment of airbags that deploy in a side impact.

Look again at the picture. It goes around *and* behind the headrests. It inflates around the headrests to minimize the movement of the head and neck, while the part of the bag behind the headrests protects from debris and glass.
I still don't see it . Airbags inflate and deflate in fraction of a second so how is it going to miminize the head movement? Like frontal impacts, the airbag deploys in between your face and the steering wheel to absorb the impact. Why are these airbags placed behind the headrests instead of in between for rear impacts?

Care to explain more how these airbags will actually help in rear impacts?

Originally Posted by Koma
Heh imagine if you're one of those drivers that has all that crap in the rear windshield? Now it comes flying at you in accidents even harder!
From the drivers perspective, when hit from behind, all that crap in the car behind the driver will fly away from the driver at the moment of impact.

Last edited by newr; 10-01-08 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota's New Rear Window Curtain Shield Airbag Ups the Safety Ante