Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hit-and-run driver claims city didn't take care of his Bentley after crash

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 06:43 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down Hit-and-run driver claims city didn't take care of his Bentley after crash

BY JOHN MARZULLI
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...t_take_-1.html
Sunday, August 24th 2008, 10:32 PM
Harry Shasho is suing the city for damaging his Bentley (similar model below) used in a hit-and-run.

Harry Shasho is suing the city for damaging his Bentley (similar model below) used in a hit-and-run.

In the annals of shameless lawsuits, this one takes the cake.

A Coney Island businessman is suing the city for damaging the Bentley he was driving when he killed a Brooklyn dad in a hit-and-run accident.

Harry Shasho, who pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, says the NYPD failed to safeguard the battered black 2005 Bentley GT luxury sedan that was impounded as evidence of the fatal crash. He's asking for at least $190,000.

The victim's loved ones are outraged.

"He's not a human being, he's an animal with no conscience," fumed Linda Ruberto, the longtime girlfriend of victim Louis (Pete) Couch, who was killed as he crossed Ocean Parkway.

"Suing the city when you've killed somebody is disgusting," she said. "It's immoral."

"Mr. Shasho has shown greater concern for the condition of his vehicle than the condition of the victim it left behind," added lawyer Stavros Sitinas of Wingate, Russotti & Shapiro, who represented Couch's son in a suit against Shasho that was settled last year.

Shasho, 38, who owns a fancy Coney Island car detailing shop, struck Couch and left the scene without stopping Oct. 1, 2005. He later surrendered to cops and was sentenced to five years' probation and community service.

Couch was intoxicated at the time of the accident, which could have played a role in Shasho's seemingly lenient sentence.

Shasho says the Bentley was in "excellent condition ... with no noticeable defects or damage" when he turned himself in, according to the suit filed in Brooklyn Federal Court.

The police report tells a different story.

It describes the car as crumpled and the windshield "depressed and fractured" by the violent impact with Couch that left his body parts strewn across the street.

The suit seeks damages from the city, the NYPD and the Brooklyn district attorney's office.

It accuses the NYPD of failing to properly care for vehicles, "particularly those which require special care and treatment due to value, style [and] model." Noticeably missing from the suit is any mention of why Shasho was arrested. It doesn't even mention Couch, 54, an assistant manager at a Duane Reade drugstore.

Shasho owns 212 Motoring, a shop that tricks out luxury autos with elaborate sound systems and detailing. Former Knicks forward Jerome Williams is his partner in the business.

Reached by the Daily News, Shasho denied filing a lawsuit and hung up. Shasho's lawyer refused to comment.

Old 08-27-08, 06:53 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this guy just lost all his business.
Old 08-27-08, 06:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

shasho is a piece of trash, and what goes around comes around. He will lose someone very very dear to him tragically as well. Life has a funny way of balancing things out. I am familiar with 212 motoring. I assume they will have some problems after this story gets out.
Old 08-27-08, 07:27 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope him and his business goes belly up. dude get over it its a continental gt whipty ****ing do! honestly i would understand if it was a $5 million ferrari or $10 million bugatti, thats one of a kind or something.
Old 08-27-08, 10:10 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

i think this is worse
http://jalopnik.com/349060/audi-driv...ver-car-damage

In what can only be called the worst case of AADS (******* Audi Driver Syndrome) ever recorded, Tomas Delgado, a Spanish businessman, is suing the family of a boy he killed while speeding in his Audi A8. The accident caused 14,000 Euros of damage to the all-aluminum luxury car, and Delgado is also looking to cover the additional 6,000 Euros in transportation costs he incurred while the Audi was in the shop. He argues that his 17-year-old victim, Enaitz Iriondo, who was wearing dark clothes while cycling at night, caused the damage while he was in the process of having his young life snuffed out by Delgago's hurtling death chariot. Quoting Mr. Delgado—and please restrain your urge to vomit here: "I'm also a victim in all of this, you can't fix the lad's problems, but you can fix mine." His lawyer, Beelzebub, Esq., offered no comment on the case, which will see an expected verdict on January 30 and perhaps witness the Earth open up to swallow Delgado whole.
Old 08-27-08, 10:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Old 08-28-08, 08:55 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unbelieveable... I have a simple solution for both of these pukes:

Just replace this apple with their heads.
Attached Thumbnails Hit-and-run driver claims city didn't take care of his Bentley after crash-edgertonbullet.jpg  
Old 08-28-08, 09:13 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just can't believe there are people in this world who are completely self centered. What goes around, comes around.

Everyone will eventually have to tell their story to the man upstairs one day.
Old 08-28-08, 02:04 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

What a ****, i mean i love my car dont get my wrong but WTF why are people so cruel, what is in people's minds when they do things like this, along with other extremely stupid things. This is the one reason i chose not to do internal medicine, you talk with to many stupid people and if i was a phycologist, i think id go nuts to
Old 08-29-08, 06:25 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Shameless, absolutely shameless!

I should not judge other people, but this guy is guilty of the worst crimes against humanity! People like this give the human race a bad name.
Old 08-29-08, 08:28 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

Harry from 212 motoring seems like a nice guy. This is the first im hearing of this story however. From my understanding he has a Red Ferrari F430 spyder now. I see him with his friends always driving around Brooklyn.
Old 08-29-08, 09:37 AM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like a wonderful person.
Old 08-29-08, 12:58 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Couch was intoxicated at the time of the accident, which could have played a role in Shasho's seemingly lenient sentence.
This is why I say our laws for DUI are way too lenient. If you are drunk and get into an accident the punishment should be greater. If you kill someone while driving drunk it should be life in prison with possibility for parole. Drunk driving is a choice. Making a choice to break the law then commit another crime should yield a harsher punishment, not lighter.
Old 08-29-08, 01:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

man i can't even use the slightest bit of logic on this...
Old 08-29-08, 02:10 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
This is why I say our laws for DUI are way too lenient. If you are drunk and get into an accident the punishment should be greater. If you kill someone while driving drunk it should be life in prison with possibility for parole. Drunk driving is a choice. Making a choice to break the law then commit another crime should yield a harsher punishment, not lighter.
Read what you quote again, it says the pedestrian was drunk at the time of the incident, not the driver.

Quick Reply: Hit-and-run driver claims city didn't take care of his Bentley after crash